Plissken

Football Thread 2017/18

3 minutes ago, The Fox said:

They are, but let's not pretend that the Sterling stuff didn't start with FSG's smear campaign after he said he wanted to leave Liverpool. He didn't get negative press before that.

The current treatment of him is part fallout from that, part classism, and part racist bullying.

Yes he did. There were stories about him partying, about his kids and how many he had, allegations of domestic abuse etc

Ok fine - it started to go into overdrive with that then. I'm not blaming FSG for the current state of things by any means, but that was definitely a factor in how widespread his negative coverage became. They really went to town on him at the time.

It wasn't FSG that forced his agent to give an interview saying Sterling wouldn't sign a new contract for £900,000 a week. Aidy Wards carry on harmed Sterling's image far more than the evil machinations of FSG. 

None of that is me trying to justify the plainly racist targeting of him by English papers. That stuff is disgusting. 

• Upvote 2

I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure that The Sun went after Rio Ferdinand and Sven Goran Eriksson prior to a World Cup as well.

The Sun always beats about supporting ‘our boys’ and other patriotic trash in the run up to an international tournament whilst also trying their best to dig up shit and destabilise every player in the squad.  They don’t try to hide being  two faced hypocritical shites. 

They frequently try and destabilise the team before tournaments, and I’ve seen Lineker etc trying to frame the Sterling thing as that today, but I think it’s more insidious than that in his case.

As for Aidy Ward, he’s a twat but the basic premise was that Sterling felt he was worth more financially than Liverpool were offering, and he felt good enough to play for a better side. They only made that comment about turning down anything Liverpool would offer to counter the ‘money grabber’ line FSG were putting out to the press. Then they changed tack to how he was too big for his boots. If you don’t think Henry started a smear campaign against Sterling (which he has previous for in the US), and that may have had an impact on how he’s been treated in the press since, I think you’re just being one-eyed.

The opprobrium and vitriol from the LFC-affiliated pundits and journos was really quite something, and tbh middle aged white men frothing at the mouth at the gall of this ‘ungrateful’ young black man never sat well with me even then, and obviously things have got a lot worse on that front since in the Sun and Mail.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Fox said:

As for Aidy Ward, he’s a twat but the basic premise was that Sterling felt he was worth more financially than Liverpool were offering, and he felt good enough to play for a better side. They only made that comment about turning down anything Liverpool would offer to counter the ‘money grabber’ line FSG were putting out to the press. Then they changed tack to how he was too big for his boots. If you don’t think Henry started a smear campaign against Sterling (which he has previous for in the US), and that may have had an impact on how he’s been treated in the press since, I think you’re just being one-eyed.

The opprobrium and vitriol from the LFC-affiliated pundits and journos was really quite something, and tbh middle aged white men frothing at the mouth at the gall of this ‘ungrateful’ young black man never sat well with me even then, and obviously things have got a lot worse on that front since in the Sun and Mail.

I've no doubt that FSG and Liverpool briefed the press that Sterling and Ward were being bastards but it's also equally clear that Sterling and Wards antics helped ensure that version of events was the one people bought into. The timing of the BBC interview was awful, Wards interview with the Standard which he then tried to deny happened because everyone reacted terribly was a mess and finally Sterling going on strike before the transfer eventually happened. Every club would capitalize on those PR own goals when faced with having to sell one of their best players for the second summer in a row. 

In the latest "what the fuck did Sterling do to deserve this" news, Sky Sports have changed his quote of "I made a promise to myself I would never touch a gun in my lifetime" to  "I made a promise to myself I would never touch a gun again in my lifetime". It was a bizarre obsession to start with, now it's just getting ludicrous. 

23 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Sorry Albion/Blues/Villa fans, but this did make me giggle :lol:

What the fuck is that thing at the back?!  Is that the Blues mascot?  What is it supposed to be?

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Seriously??

Yes, seriously. Also apparently seriously, but no less deranged, is today's Sun front page where stabbing victim Damilola Taylor's dad is demanding that Sterling apologises for what he's done, for some fucking reason.

3 hours ago, stefcha said:

Yes, seriously. Also apparently seriously, but no less deranged, is today's Sun front page where stabbing victim Damilola Taylor's dad is demanding that Sterling apologises for what he's done, for some fucking reason.

fucking hell

Not related to the worldcup but i came across this on a forum when reading about the latest SPFL charimen apparently failing to raise a conflict of interest. Rangers fans are going mad, which is expected, had the shoe been on the other foot Celtic fans would habe done the same. However.... just take a look at this. A clear celtic conspiracy!!!

CuOddNn.jpg.7892cf0d926709908674b053d2cc

The BBC has confirmed it is to show twenty-nine World Cup 2018 games in 4K HDR, to compatible TVs with iPlayer apps capable of displaying the content. Additionally, the BBC also confirmed that every single one of its thirty-three game allocation will be available in Virtual Reality via the BBC Sport's VR 2018 World Cup app.

The BBC says viewers will need at least a 40Mbps broadband connection to view the full-fat 4K HDR streams that will be shown at 50 frames per second in the HLG (Hybrid Log-gamma) HDR format. Those with slower connections might find they’re restricted to lower resolution – or at least lower bitrate – transmissions. 

Additionally, streams will be limited and delivered on a first come/ first served basis which will mean enthusiasts like you and us will have our fingers hovering over the remote just prior to the broadcasts beginning. No actual numbers have been confirmed but the BBC revealed the UHD HDR streams will be limited to 'tens of thousands'.

The VR app will be available on iOS, Android, Gear VR, Oculus Go and PlayStation VR and will let users choose between views from ‘a luxury private box’ or from behind either of the two goals.

Awesome - 4k footy!!

A slight aside, I quite like the England kit so thought I'd go into Scum Direct and see it close up.  It's nice, definitely a shirt I'd buy, so I check the price tag. £65??!?  

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

fair play to him, what better way to leave than on top like that.

I think he knew he isn't a super technical coach or builder of squads, rather a manager of egos and players from who he could command respect, in the short term at least, from his own reputation as an elite player.

Real have an ageing squad of superstars so why risk tarnishing your reputation Wenger style by hanging around well past your sell by date as that unravels.

Mic drop management at a level nobody will ever match !