Plissken

Football Thread 2017/18

2 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Right, can someone explain this to me.

Arsenal want to sign Aubameyang.  Dortmund want a replacement before letting him go, and that is Batshuayi from Chelsea.  But Chelsea don't want to let Batshuayi go without a replacement and that is Giroud from Arsenal.  And Arsenal have agreed to let Giroud go.

So, in order to strengthen their team, Arsenal have to strengthen a direct rival for a Champions League place and a potential rival in the Europa League.

Why would they do this?

Because Arsenal! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Right, can someone explain this to me.

Arsenal want to sign Aubameyang.  Dortmund want a replacement before letting him go, and that is Batshuayi from Chelsea.  But Chelsea don't want to let Batshuayi go without a replacement and that is Giroud from Arsenal.  And Arsenal have agreed to let Giroud go.

So, in order to strengthen their team, Arsenal have to strengthen a direct rival for a Champions League place and a potential rival in the Europa League.

Why would they do this?

Aubameyang is cup tied for the Europa League too which looks by far our best bet of getting a CL spot (lol). We’ve already sold Walcott and Sanchez so if Lacazette gets injured we’re presumably going to try and win the EL with Eddie Nketiah up front.

Arsenal, everybody!

• Upvote 1

I also like how we spent £47m on a striker in the last window but have apparently already decided he’s not good enough so are spending £55m on another striker, even though our central midfield options are Wilshere and Ramsey’s patched-up corpses, and Granit fucking Xhaka.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Christ I hate deadline day.  I hate the sycophantic nonsense Sky Sports News have made it.  I hate the fake twitter rumours, social media hyperbole and meltdowns.  I hate Harry Redknapp and his stupid car window.  I hate the way they boast about how many millions have been spent on overpriced, overpaid mercenaries.  I hate the way they use fucking Football Manager as a stats comparison.  I hate Jim White's stupid tie and his OTT tone which is like a rubbish entertainer carrying phallic balloons at a kid's birthday party.

I'll be watching it all night though. 

• Upvote 8

Have Arsenal written off Laczette already? Seems a bizarre move. That money would be better off on midfield, defence or even a replacement for Cech. Not replacing an expensive striker with another expensive striker. If Laczette is that bad Giroud is more than able to lead the line while Arsenal strengthen other areas.

32 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Have Arsenal written off Laczette already? Seems a bizarre move. That money would be better off on midfield, defence or even a replacement for Cech. Not replacing an expensive striker with another expensive striker. If Laczette is that bad Giroud is more than able to lead the line while Arsenal strengthen other areas.

Wenger declined to sign Lacazette for about 6 transfer windows before finally relenting due to a lack of alternatives and the imminent departure of Sanchez, so it seems pretty clear he was never completely sold on him. Plenty of people, myself included, didn't think he was good enough at Lyon. He's actually been better than I expected tbh.

The problem with him as far as I see it is that he's basically a smaller, weaker version of Giroud with better finishing. His hold up play has been better than I expected but physically he's just a bit shit for a No9. A bit quicker than Giroud obviously but certainly not what you'd call fast.

35 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Wenger declined to sign Lacazette for about 6 transfer windows before finally relenting due to a lack of alternatives and the imminent departure of Sanchez, so it seems pretty clear he was never completely sold on him. Plenty of people, myself included, didn't think he was good enough at Lyon. He's actually been better than I expected tbh.

The problem with him as far as I see it is that he's basically a smaller, weaker version of Giroud with better finishing. His hold up play has been better than I expected but physically he's just a bit shit for a No9. A bit quicker than Giroud obviously but certainly not what you'd call fast.

Awesome on Football Manager 2017 though. 

17 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Why Arsenal? Why do you buy striker to challenge for top four yet sell a striker to a top four rival? My head hurts thinking about the rationale.

because we ended up in a situation where Giroud wouldn't go to Dortmund (or they didn't want him, or both), they wanted Batshuai, so we had to simply decide if we wanted Aubamyang we had to let Giroud go to Chelsea (and pay the loan fee to Chelsea for Batshuai too if you believe the reports)

Chelsea fans get a lot of deserved shit.

But I'm not sure every club's fans would still clap the former player who just put them 3 goals down at home.

Bit First World Problems but I’m getting snowed on at Turf Moor ready to watch a team missing six first team players take on one of the best club sides seen in this country for many a year.

It’s the epitome of “let’s get this over with”.

14 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Bit First World Problems but I’m getting snowed on at Turf Moor ready to watch a team missing six first team players take on one of the best club sides seen in this country for many a year.

It’s the epitome of “let’s get this over with”.

have some sympathy for the other guys, poor Pep is so down to the bare bones he can't even manage a full subs bench - that's the problem with you fans of high flying mega rich clubs, you never think of the little guys struggling to get by on a shoestring.

shame on you, I bet even your premier league snow is better than non league snow.

• Upvote 1

Quick thoughts from Turf Moor.

Raheem Sterlings miss will dominate the pundits discussion but it was a game changer not only for not sealing a City win, but for also giving Burnley and the crowd the belief that "hang on, this really could be our day".  Pre-match optimism was basically "keep it down to three" given the patched up team.  Dyche went 4-4-2 from 4-4-1-1, giving Lennon a start on the left and moving Hendrick back next to Cork.  The former could generously be said to be Not Working Very Well, lthough the inevitable City goal came as just about every opposition goal has come from recently, the right hand side.  The crowd have been murmuring that Phil Bardsley really does need to be dropped and Matt Lowton put back in but it seems Dyche is stuck in his ways.  So when Danilo let one of those shots go that you instinctively know is heading in, there were mutterings that it had come from the right flank again.

Bardsley didn't appear for the second half - he'd gone down with a knock to the knee in the opening exchanges and Lowton was back in.  Gudmundsson and Lennon swapped wings and Lennon and Lowton immediately hit it off.  Clarets seemed to grow in belief as the half went on, helped by repeatedly getting half chances with crosses to the back post areas where players were unmarked.  Kompany was unimpressive and conceded for a really good chance where the ball fell to Lennon, unmarked to smash goalwards, Ederson somehow getting a hand to it to push it onto the bar.  Brilliant save and chance of a point gone, we thought.  Especially when De Bruyne put Walker through, squared to the far post and Sterling missed from three feet with no player within three yards of him.  But no, some more work on the left flank, a cross, Cork retrieves, back to Lowton and a beautiful long cross for Gudmonsson to volley home at the far post.

Speaking of De Bruyne, in first half injury time he hit a curling 40 yard pass between three Clarets players which was just perfect for Aguero to chest down and run with.  I've never heard a crowd give an involuntary appreciative "Ooooh" to an opposition pass like a couple of thousand at t'Turf (including myself) did.  He's so, so good.

Time enough for Lennon to immediately endear himself to the crowd with some solid defensive work and then the final whistle.

Charlie Taylor home MOM - we've not missed Stephen Ward at all.  Cannot believe we got JBG out of Charlton for £2.5m.  He's magical.  Now all we need is for Lowton to displace Bardsley for good and maybe Tarkowski back and we might halt this winless run. (No win in 8, although five of them were Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd x2 and Man City.)

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Plissken said:

I’ve never heard an appreciative “Ooh” for an opposition pass like the one that De Bruyne (?) fired over to Aguero.

Was his identical twin brother playing as well? I'm sure there were two of him playing in Cardiff last weekend.

• Upvote 1