Mission: Impossible - Fallout

It's the first time I have liked Cavill. He's not brilliant actor and doesn't have the charisma of other action movie guys, but he works in this. Great screen presence. 

As for the 'twist', it being very obvious was deliberate according to McQuarrie. 

• Upvote 2

Yes I really really liked Cavill on first watch, he manages to avoid doing what you’d expect of someone in that role, I’d find myself ignoring what the director expected you to focus on and watch him instead, he kind of had that “‘this is ridiculous” vibe that Harrison Ford did in Cowboys and Aliens

I cannot for the life of my understand why they went to such lengths to make him look like an incompetent idiot in his first scene, though. For the rest of the film he’s portrayed as a highly formidable mastermind. What would have happened if Ethan hadn’t gone to such extreme lengths to save him during the atmosphere jump, would the rest of the film just not have happened?

The gag was funny but narratively it’s nonsense and undermined literally everything that followed for me. It’s like you have to completely ignore that scene for the rest of the film to work.

2 hours ago, Gord said:

You've seen Man from Uncle? 

Yep, I said ages ago in the the thread that Cavill is good in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - he has charisma and charm and isn't about brute force. It helps, too, that it isn't a film full of bombast and explosions.

Shame that film totally bombed, I would've liked to see more of that cast in general.

3 hours ago, yakumo said:

I watched MI ages ago but like to see this after reading the hype?. Do I need to watch the previous films to appreciate this?, or is it standalone?

It's technically a direct sequel to Rogue Nation but you don't really need to have seen that (but you should, it's pretty good). The rest of them are pretty standalone like the Bond films, although there's more narrative continuity than those in terms of characters and background setting. 

And I haven't seen Man from Uncle. 

I think you'd be fine to watch this as a stand alone piece. It's essentially a stunt show with each scene having it's own rocket powered momentum, which is at the cost of the overriding plot, themes and character motivations.

This isn't a critism of the film, as it's a deliberate choice by the director. He wanted to make a rollercoaster ride and it's very successful at what it sets out to do.

3 hours ago, yakumo said:

I watched MI ages ago but like to see this after reading the hype?. Do I need to watch the previous films to appreciate this?, or is it standalone?

There is next to no plot to speak of, so no need to see any of the previous films. 

• 2 weeks later...

Christopher McQuarrie has officially signed on to write and direct the next two movies, which will be shot back-to-back and released in 2021 and 2022.

Wrapping it up before Cruise gets too old for his trademark stunts?

McQuarrie seemed to spend half of his six-hour appearance on last summer's Empire's Fallout spoiler special podcasts (and before that, half of his interview on the Rogue Nation episode) protesting that he wouldn't be coming back to do more, because he feels sorry for whoever has to try and come up with set-pieces that will top the ones they did last time. :D

The last time there was a series that kept swapping directors but then stuck to the same man for films 5 to 8 (with 7 and 8 shot back to back), it was David Yates with the Harry Potter movies.

32 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Yep; that’s my thinking. Big cliffhanger ending in the 1st and end the 2nd with Cruise literally jumping into a volcano.

Not as a stunt, I mean in real life.

as a scientologist I think he'll have an issue with the imagery of a volcano, that'll never get past Miscavage on script approval.

shooting back to back will save them lots of time as they can shoot the 2 party/reception scenes at the same time along with the 2 'bonk the baddie on the noggin and scan his head for a rubber mask in the toilet cubicle' scenes.

Remember when making a hit movie meant you got to go make something original?

Now it means you get to lock yourself into the best part of a decade of making the same movie over and over again. I'll never get excited about seeing talented filmmakers lost to franchise bubbles. It's depressing and this is from a fan of the franchise.

Remember when Cruise was swapping directors, making each one something different?

41 minutes ago, Gotters said:

as a scientologist I think he'll have an issue with the imagery of a volcano, that'll never get past Miscavage on script approval.

shooting back to back will save them lots of time as they can shoot the 2 party/reception scenes at the same time along with the 2 'bonk the baddie on the noggin and scan his head for a rubber mask in the toilet cubicle' scenes.

That's why I chose that imagery! Having done all he needs to on this plane, Cruise hops into the volcano and becomes one with Xenu or whatever the fuck his names is. Plus he avoids being questioned on the (alleged) disappearance of Miscavage's wife...

Talking business vs art for a second...it was a no-brainer that there would be another M:I film after the Box Office of the last couple. While it's surprising to see McQuarrie commit to two films, to me, it can only mean that this is the end of the franchise with Cruise and these will be the swansong for this M:I crew. Will the studio attempt to keep it going with new stars and a new director in 2025? Probably but this feels like it's drawing a line under the last 20+ years (!!!!) and it'll be goodbye to Ethan and Co.

Tbh, I liked 'Fallout' but it really did feel like it was treading water in a lot of places and some of the big stunts (the HALO jump & the helicopter chase at the end), while obviously insanely dangerous in real life, were quite boring - or to be more charitable, were not thrilling -  to watch.

My wife commented on the HALO jump, as I explained that it was done for real, that it didn't matter, as the addition of CGI Paris below and the lightning strike/last second pull of the cord made it all look like it had been shot in the studio. The most thrilling part of the film was the Toilet fight because it felt so *real*, which is absurd because it's essentially a rehearsed dance. But that's showbiz, baby!

Anyway, I've lost my own thread. Basically, I want the McQuarrie of 'Jack Reacher' to come back and deliver a more low-stake, visceral style of M:I; I don't want Cruise in Space or Ethan Hunt trying to stop the CERN reactor from creating a black hole.

And for the record, nothing in the entire series tops De Palma's 'Pentagon Heist'. A guy on a wire breaking into a vault. Still the best thing M:I's done.

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

And for the record, nothing in the entire series tops De Palma's 'Pentagon Heist'. A guy on a wire breaking into a vault. Still the best thing M:I's done.

And that’s the sad thing about it. How many films have we had since the first and none have come anywhere near it, let alone bettered it.

If Fallout is anything to go by, these next two won’t either.

• 11 months later...

Ended up watching fallout last night. I think i might have watched it at some point, but i couldn't remember barely any of it so not sure.

Anyway, i thought it was a great movie. Loads of action. Story was a bit messy. One thing that really stood out though - 

Spoiler

Henry Cavill takes of with the remote. Why was it so necessary that he kept hold of the detonator? Couldn't he have just thrown it from the helicopter into the lake? No way would Tom Cruise find it in time! Just seemed a bit silly to keep hold of the device that's only purpose is to defuse the bombs.

I think the worry was that 

Spoiler

he wouldn't get to minimum safe distance due to pesky Tom Cruise being in hot pursuit so could stop the bombs going off? Its not like he was some religious fanatic or anything...though obvs a bit nutty.