Nick R

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (July 2018)

I think enough about this has been confirmed now to be worth starring a new thread.

Chris McQuarrie is directing again, and the main new/returning cast members have been announced:

Tom Cruise, Rebecca Ferguson, Ving Rhames, Simon Pegg, Alec Baldwin and Sean Harris all reprising their roles from previous films, with Henry Cavill, Vanessa Kirby, Sian Brooke and Angela Bassett joining the franchise.

No Jeremy Renner this time though.

And today one more returning cast member was announced...

Also, sounds like Tom's going to do yet another insane death-defying stunt. Of course he is.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/03/20/tom-cruise-has-been-training-a-full-year-for-his-next-big-mission-impossibl

• Upvote 3

Not really, the guy has been practicing for one stunt in a movie for a year and is still putting out loads of films with plenty on his slate too.

The last couple of Mission Impossible films have been really good fun, but they all suffer from the same problem - weak villains and underwhelming climaxes. They tried their hardest with the last one, but Sean Harris was underused and the end bit where they painstakingly contrive a way to trap him in a giant perspex box was like they were trying to make a film adaptation of Mouse Trap, i.e. the board game.

• Upvote 3

In comparison to other recent spy action films though the endings have been very good. Nothing will top the helicopter chasing the train through the tunnel of the first Mission Impossible film (the special effects are still incredible I think), and for fun action with comedy with brilliantly thought out action scenes unlike anything people have seen before True Lies remains the best example, but compared with Bourne or Bond or Jack Reacher or MI3 (which was a fight in a small room) there's at least effort there. 

• Upvote 1

It's funny that Michelle Monaghan is returning, as if they can just pick up the fact that he had a girlfriend once way back in M:I-3. Ethan Hunt is like a reverse James Bond: always played by the same actor but a slightly different character each time. There's been no effort to build any kind of consistent history for Hunt at all. He really does just play himself, even more so than usual. 

• Upvote 1

Rebecca Ferguson :wub:

Hopefully she's front and centre, because she was ruddy great in Rogue Nation. Only been one duff M:I, the chaotic second one, and even that had jousting motorbikes.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

She was in Ghost Protocol too.

Wow really? Was it just a tiny role at the start or something? I can't remember much about that film to be honest. 

Doesn't he set her up with a new identity to protect her after she was put in danger in III? Guess the big bad of 6 will find her and use her as bait but hope her return will be a little more inventive.

In an Empire interview with McQuarrie awhile back, he said that he was planning for this to take a different tone to the last one.  I'm both curious and nervous about that, as I liked the last one he directed. 

I'd love one in the style of the first film. Less comedy hijinks and OTT gadgets, and more grounded in reality.

I mean, the Burj Khalifa stuff in Ghost Protocol was amazing to look at, but what was that guff with Simon Pegg and his fake hand? Truly awful.

31 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I mean, the Burj Khalifa stuff in Ghost Protocol was amazing to look at, but what was that guff with Simon Pegg and his fake hand? Truly awful.

Just paying homage to this:

19 hours ago, Pob said:

It's funny that Michelle Monaghan is returning, as if they can just pick up the fact that he had a girlfriend once way back in M:I-3. Ethan Hunt is like a reverse James Bond: always played by the same actor but a slightly different character each time. There's been no effort to build any kind of consistent history for Hunt at all. He really does just play himself, even more so than usual. 

She is his wife. They got married in Mission Impossible 3.  So I guess they maybe are technically still married.  I really liked their relationship in 3.  Having rewatched it recently, I forgot how really good the film is. Past three films have been really excellent.

A bomb goes off and Ethan Hunt, the only survivor, who dived into a bomb shelter at the last minute, is now known as the lone wanderer in a post apocalyptic wasteland. 

In a nod to the last episode of another 60s series about a spy, Ethan Hunt gloriously vindicates the right of the individual to be individual in an underground cavern, meets himself in a rocket, and ends up right back where he started. 

• Upvote 1

Official word, not giving away much

The best intentions often come back to haunt you. Mission: Impossible – Fallout finds Ethan Hunt (Cruise) and his IMF team (Alec Baldwin, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames) along with some familiar allies (Rebecca Ferguson, Michelle Monaghan) in a race against time after a mission gone wrong. Henry Cavill, Angela Bassett and Vanessa Kirby also join the dynamic cast with filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie returning to the helm.

Also, the first official image, with Cruise taking a chopper ride

• Upvote 1