Jump to content
Nick R

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

Recommended Posts

Just now, kerraig UK said:

 

Apart from the poker. The less said about the fucking poker the better. 

Oh right yeah. But the reason for playing it makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno, does it? Le Chiffre loses all his money after Bond stops him from blowing up a plane. Le Chiffre decides to get the money back by organising a poker tournament, obviously, and MI6 enter Bond because MI6 rank their employees by how good they are at poker for some reason, and Bond came top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, K said:

I dunno, does it? Le Chiffre loses all his money after Bond stops him from blowing up a plane. Le Chiffre decides to get the money back by organising a poker tournament, obviously, and MI6 enter Bond because MI6 rank their employees by how good they are at poker for some reason, and Bond came top.

 

Based on his ability to get a Royal Flush whenever his rivals get four of a kind. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

 

Based on his ability to get a Royal Flush whenever his rivals get four of a kind. 

 

Always annoyed me, that scene. Bond should have won by bluffing or by sacrificing all his chips to take Le Chiffre out as well, letting someone else win. Winning by having the best hand possible is the exact opposite of how a scene like that should go; it's like Bond triumphing in a car chase because his car can go twice as fast as the people pursuing him. The odds should never be in his favour.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, K said:

 

Always annoyed me, that scene. Bond should have won by bluffing or by sacrificing all his chips to take Le Chiffre out as well, letting someone else win. Winning by having the best hand possible is the exact opposite of how a scene like that should go; it's like Bond triumphing in a car chase because his car can go twice as fast as the people pursuing him. The odds should never be in his favour.

 

Yup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, K said:

I dunno, does it? Le Chiffre loses all his money after Bond stops him from blowing up a plane. Le Chiffre decides to get the money back by organising a poker tournament, obviously, and MI6 enter Bond because MI6 rank their employees by how good they are at poker for some reason, and Bond came top.

They get him on the ropes by ruining his big plane scam then he gets desperate to get the money back so turns to gambling.

 

I’ve always liked that the bad guy is a mid-level dude backed into a corner and with his head on the chopping block, and thus highly dangerous.

 

Compare to MI: Fallout where the villains just have the usual “tear everything down, start a new world order” motivation. 

 

I still haven’t worked out who stole the spherical macguffins in Fallout. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, George Clooney said:

 

Ok, buckle up motherfuckers, because this has now become "why Casino Royale is the best Bond film in ages and its a fucking travesty to think what came after".  Because Casino Royale is not only great, its exactly what the start of Craigs run needed to be and has some of the best handled stuff in a Bond film in forever.

 

So first of all, I've addressed the parkour chase action scene.  Seriously, if you havent seen that bit alone, go watch it, its freaking amazing and does a great job of conveying character through action while also being fabulously well done in its own right.  But thats not the only good bit, its just the standout bit.  The airport scene is also really good, and the fights are uniformly excellent.  Again, they really sell Bond at this point in his "career", this isnt the suave, calm cool Bond that lamely karate chops bad guys, this is an angry, rough around the edges Bond windmilling his way through people in the most brutal fashion weve ever seen the character.  The fights are harsh and brutal, from the opening kills to make him a 00, to the stairwell fight.  This is the most physically capable Bond they've put on screen and Craig is freakin' excellent at making Bond someone who you think would be able to beat the shit out of a load of henchmen.

 

Second is Eva Green, who I am pretty sure is the best Bond girl ever.  She's shown as capable and as a match for Bond, but in a way that doesnt feel like they're trying to make her similar to Bond like they have done with Bond girls in the past where they've claimed they'll be more than a match for him.  She's got her own strengths and she's clearly not there to swoon over him at first sight.  In fact, if anything the verbal sparring during the first meeting makes her seem like she's rightfully wary of him.  Then when she sees him kill some guys, she rightfully freaks out.  Its a completely human reaction that doesnt make her seem weaker, it just feels like how the character may react.  Greens character is the perfect foil for Bond here, to the point where her betrayal - which itself isnt a standard "oh she was evil all along" - just adds more to how we get the Bond we know.

 

And lastly there's Craig himself.  Before release, a lot of people scoffed at the idea of Craig as Bond, citing him as not looking the part and doubting if he could pull off the "feel" of Bond.  But this wasnt Bond, not really.  It was Bond becoming Bond, and Craig was freakin' excellent for that.  I've said that this was a much more physical and brutal Bond than we've seen, but he also showed glimpses of him becoming the character we recognised.  This was Bond learning that while he had skills, he still needed to learn some things to be a 00 agent.  It's also Craig himself becoming Bond as the film goes on - there's a reason why we dont see him say the iconic line till the very end.  And that end was freakin' awesome, played perfectly, from the phone call to the "who are you" teasing the line we know is coming, to panning up to the shot of Craig, and him finally delivering that line.  Freaking.  Amazing.  It's not just Bond announcing himself in the film, its Craig announcing that he is Bond now.

 

It was a shame that Quantum Of Solace was such a bland movie that didnt really build on anything they did here, because they did some awesome stuff that should have lead to the best run of Bond films ever.  Instead we got one great Bond film, and couple of ones with some decent scenes.  I do think Craig has been great with what he's given, but there was so much potential, its hard not to be really disappointed with what they did.

If there's one thing I cannot stand it people who love fucking Casino Royale. It's one of the most over rated films of all time.

 

lets break it down shall we. Goodish start but the bloke he kills is more annoying than threatening. Cut to an utterly forgettable theme song. Then we get to the parkour bit. Pretty decent but parkour is weird anyway and horribly outdated nowadays.

 

Clooney then moves onto Green, one of the oddest actresses to come along in decades. She is just so strange, the way she talks, the way she presents herself on screen. (Although this oddness did work in her favour in Penny Dreadful). She isn't even in the top 10 Bond girls. 

 

He then moves onto Craig. Sure, DC has grown on me over the years, but he is far from the best Bond. I find him very wooden in CR, I think it's easily his weakest performance of the four movies (I do know that that's a VERY unpopular opinion).

 

the whole Venice section is dead boring as well. I do love the Poker section however (although maybe a bit less after reading it's not how Poker should be played). 

 

What makes CR a good (not great) Bond film is MM who steals every scene he is in and IS one of the best villains to grace the series.

  • Downvote 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit I didn’t even mention the theme song or the opening credits, both of which are amazing.  Even the fighting with the Superhot style figures looks fucking brutal.  The song is great by itself, but even that is a statement of intent - “You Know My Name” may as well be saying fuck yall who don’t think Craig can pull off Bond, this is our guy now.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sandman said:

If there's one thing I cannot stand it people who love fucking Casino Royale. It's one of the most over rated films of all time.

 

lets break it down shall we. Goodish start but the bloke he kills is more annoying than threatening. Cut to an utterly forgettable theme song. Then we get to the parkour bit. Pretty decent but parkour is weird anyway and horribly outdated nowadays.

 

Clooney then moves onto Green, one of the oddest actresses to come along in decades. She is just so strange, the way she talks, the way she presents herself on screen. (Although this oddness did work in her favour in Penny Dreadful). She isn't even in the top 10 Bond girls. 

 

He then moves onto Craig. Sure, DC has grown on me over the years, but he is far from the best Bond. I find him very wooden in CR, I think it's easily his weakest performance of the four movies (I do know that that's a VERY unpopular opinion).

 

the whole Venice section is dead boring as well. I do love the Poker section however (although maybe a bit less after reading it's not how Poker should be played). 

 

What makes CR a good (not great) Bond film is MM who steals every scene he is in and IS one of the best villains to grace the series.

0CEE9F29-B3A3-4695-8646-D3116FF74510.jpeg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of those rare cases where you have a movie theme song that absolutely kicks as a rock album version and as a big orchestral arrangement without either sounding like Muzak or Linkin_Park_Zelda_Theme.MP3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hated the theme tune to Casino Royale, Quantum and Spectre. I didn't mind Adele's Skyfall. At least it sounds like a typical Bond theme, though its pretty far down the list of my favourites.

Spy Who Loved Me, You Only Live Twice, Goldfinger and Tommorow Never Dies rank among my favourite themes.

 

Watched Fallout last night. Probably the strongest one of the series for me. I've never had particularly strong feelings about any of them though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.