rllmuk
sid

Shadow of the colossus HD remake

Looks great but was just wondering what other changes that company has made to titles they have remastered. Can we expect improved controls, animations or anything like that - or is it just going to be graphical niceties? I haven't played Shadow since its release so honestly I'm pretty excited to experience it again with revamped visuals.

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I've never played this...

Well, don't look too closely at the trailer then; you really don't want to see too much of what's in store.

• Upvote 1

Finished my 5th or 6th playthrough on the PS2 this year. (Stamina meter is so big now it's transparent when full to stop it blocking your view. Can get up to the secret garden easy-peesy) Still can't wait to play this.

• Upvote 1

Man, I'm not too sure about this at all. In some ways the increased detail is lovely, especially when it comes to animation. But this is also a game that is all about the artistic vision of the world, tied very strongly to the available technology of the time. Playing the original PS2 version is still incredibly impressive, constantly feeling how the machine is struggling with the ambitious beast. I have to think of the incredibly strict hiring process, where only two out of 500 artists got hired to join the team after ICO, and I imagine Ueda being very strict in ever part of the design. Bluepoint is great, but it really feels like a cover band that has superior technology to their disposal but I think in no way can expect to match the very precise vision that made the original game so enduring in the first place. They might be incredibly respectful, and I think this is great for new players, but I would really rather revisit the original than a second interpretation by a different group of people.

But maybe I'm projecting and they invited Ueda over to control every aspect of this production again. And while the soundtrack was beautiful in the original, the way the tracks transitioned was always incredibly jarring. So a chance to improve on that is welcome.

Odd that they didn't opt for ICO first, or a double pack. Will be a nice thing to own but would also be nice to be able to play all Team ICO games on the one console too. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Odd that they didn't opt for ICO first, or a double pack. Will be a nice thing to own but would also be nice to be able to play all Team ICO games on the one console too. 

I played Ico for the first time last year (PS3 remsaster) and really liked it. It's still holds up. Controls are slightly odd in places but for the most part fine.

SOTC on the other hand, I would imagine to be nigh on unplayable. I thought the camera was a nightmare even on PS2. So in that respect, I can see why this sort of needs a remake more.

As an ICO fan I was all over the PS3 update when it came to PS+ as the frame rate was a real show stopper for me on the original. Sadly although that had improved the controls were shockingly fiddly and I gave up at a flying beast. I don't think they'll change the controls as fans of the original will be up in arms so sadly I'm out.

51 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Just you.

Heh - it just looks a bit weird, the way the player character moves just doesn't look how I remember..  

I just saw this on twitter and nodded sagely, this is the feeling it gives me.. 

Nah, it looks nothing like a UE mock up. Behave!

SotC is an incredible, timeless game held back by some pretty irritating controls - even in the remastered versions. If bluepoint can tweak those, this could be sensational.

• Upvote 1