Motorspot chat - No dull F1 though

It's kinda easy to forget how fragile these fields can be.

This weekend's ALMS entry has 6 LMP2 cars, which isn't bad when there's no real prize for those guys.  But 3 of those are the same team (Algarve Pro), even though none of them have that name on the entry list.  And another 2 are JOTA, even though only one says so.

(Both G-Drives and the Indian car are AGR, JOTA and Era Motorsport are both JOTA)

If AGR had trouble, suddenly you have a 3 car field.

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's kinda easy to forget how fragile these fields can be.

This weekend's ALMS entry has 6 LMP2 cars, which isn't bad when there's no real prize for those guys.  But 3 of those are the same team (Algarve Pro), even though none of them have that name on the entry list.  And another 2 are JOTA, even though only one says so.

(Both G-Drives and the Indian car are AGR, JOTA and Era Motorsport are both JOTA)

If AGR had trouble, suddenly you have a 3 car field.

Any grants available to set up a team?

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if 100% right thread but sad to say Sabine Schmitz of Nűrburgring fame has died from cancer :unsure: i have a picture from 2008 when me and brother and dad were there for my 2nd trip and their 3rd. She was lovely and chatted to anyone who asked.

42 minutes ago, McFly said:

Not sure if 100% right thread but sad to say Sabine Schmitz of Nűrburgring fame has died from cancer :unsure: i have a picture from 2008 when me and brother and dad were there for my 2nd trip and their 3rd. She was lovely and chatted to anyone who asked.

My other half just told me this, very sad and I didn’t even know she was ill :( 

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

Round 1 of the Nurburgring Endurance Series today - lots of GT cars thundering around the Nordshleife.

Or not... Red flag so far :lol:

3 hours ago, dino_jr said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/motorsport/55816561

Anyone watching? The Extreme-E season(?) starts today / qualifying... The cars look a bit floaty but fast at least in the sand.

Do they race at the same time, or one at a time like a rally?

Woke up late but I'm watching it now. Only had Sainz/Guttierez go so far but it looks great fun!

Considering its a 2 hour show on red button, I'm disappointed they didn't show Button/Ahlin-Kottulinksys whole lap.

They were talking about wheel to wheel so it sounds like Quali is one at a time then they all go.

I think the biggest challenge it's going to have is winning people like myself over, there's alot of F1 involvement (Hamilton, Rosberg, Button, Newey and Brown) but it's definitely not F1 and whilst I knew that I think alot of F1 fans are very comfortably in that little bubble.

My kids are backing the Hansen/Munnings team because Catie had her cbeebies show

2 cars destroyed in one qualifying session is not a great start.  Not least because the series has 3 cars worth of spare parts.

Veloce (Chadwick/Sarrazin) are out for the weekend due to lack of parts. Abt will probably miss Q2.

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

2 cars destroyed in one qualifying session is not a great start.  Not least because the series has 3 cars worth of spare parts.

Veloce (Chadwick/Sarrazin) are out for the weekend due to lack of parts. Abt will probably miss Q2.

Eh, maybe not competition wise, but it made for spectacular viewing, as did Munnings absolutely ragging it with only 3 tyres, and that's how they're gonna get people watching initially.

I'm really struggling with the commentators. Jenny Gow is a complete personality vacuum, she just seems to say the first thing that comes into her head. Sam Bird is formula e and a bit of endurance racing and the other one who's a twat.. None of them appear to understand about racing on sand or have seen a rally. 

The timing board doesn't make a lot of sense and the muppets in the box don't appear to understand it either. 

The switch over is really badly handled. They have to take 45 seconds to do it. But there's nothing to tell me how long they've been, people are getting pinged for speeding in the pit lane and leaving the change zone early, but there doesn't appear to be anything to show the pit zone that I can see. 

But

The cars look great, really fast over the rough terrain. I love the male/female split team. Although you can really tell the difference between drivers with off road racing experience and those with a pure track background. 

This is only the first race and I can see the potential here. It needs a lot of work. I'm interested in watching the 3 car races, that will exciting, as long as no one gets hurt. 

Totally agreed on the timing boards, penalties etc, it's weird, so much effort has gone into the other graphics but not that. I'd like to see split times for the gates, breakdowns of the individual drivers times too.

But only one car having actual non-driver related issues is a good start (I also like that it's the "Hummer" that wasn't able to even do a run in round 2 of Qualifying :lol:).

Sainz driving like he did in Q1 at 58 was just ridiculous and great to see.

1 hour ago, wev said:

Eh, maybe not competition wise, but it made for spectacular viewing, as did Munnings absolutely ragging it with only 3 tyres, and that's how they're gonna get people watching initially.

Well until the final has 1 car because all the rest are broken.

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

Well until the final has 1 car because all the rest are broken.

Yes but, first race, new world etc etc. 

The potential is there isn't it. 

The whole "saving the world with electric cars" bit got dropped the moment the cars hit the dirt though. I soldiered through the half hour intro explaining how this all came about. Felt sad about the world dying etc (press X to emote) then completely forgot the message when the wheels turned. 

They're are already trying to build up the tension between Sir Hamilton and not sir Rosberg. But only Roaberg was there to look all sweaty in the tent. 

Yeah I think putting the message at the start of the show is what they've gone for but it's then easily lost/skipped, there needs to be more focus on that through the actual coverage.

Like I don't recall them talking about how the cars are built, I remember Top Gear having one of them on a few weeks ago and Flintoff reckoned the tyres were made from daffodils or something like that, which could have been a joke, but if theres an ounce of truth in that then that ought to be part of the commentary (and indeed may be later on). 

Like they mentioned Hummer were involved with the Chip Ganassi team and the front grill of the car had been changed to have the Hummer branding on, but beyond the grill of the car having that branding, what exactly is Hummers involvement in EV?

Formula 1 is guilty of this kind of thing too, but F1 can hide behind it being a sport first and foremost, likewise Formula E, but Extreme E is trying to do something different and they need to do a better job of communicating what's different about it, why they're doing this, who is involved, how this all (hopefully) feeds into the bigger picture re climate change whilst also making it easier for the viewer to understand what's going on with the racing itself.

I understand Birds involvement on commentary from an electric vehicle point if view, I assume the other guy has some off-road experience, and I didn't mind Gow at all, I think she's there to be the person who translates what the other two are talking about into something for more casual viewers, but it didn't really work today.

3 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

They're are already trying to build up the tension between Sir Hamilton and not sir Rosberg. But only Roaberg was there to look all sweaty in the tent. 

Yeah, Rosberg gives no shits these days, forget any circumstances, the books say he beat the most successful F1 driver of all time to a championship in the same car. And he'll likely be the only one to say that until there's a new most successful F1 driver.

3 hours ago, wev said:

Like they mentioned Hummer were involved with the Chip Ganassi team and the front grill of the car had been changed to have the Hummer branding on, but beyond the grill of the car having that branding, what exactly is Hummers involvement in EV?

Hummer hasn't existed in a decade so even less than most makes.  They've stuck the badge on a couple of new EVs from GMC that are fooling nobody.

But then, manufacturer support anywhere except F1 and to a small extent Formula E is now essentially non-existent. 

Just a bunch of other notes from the Extreme E opening weekend.

Extreme branding, crazy race etc, rxr etc are all a bit cringe, feels very 90s

The races don't really work, not on this kind of surface and I wonder if having a 16km point to point time trial with mandatory pit stop/driver change at the half way mark would have worked better?

The cars though are great to watch

There does seem to be an effort from the teams to pick the men to start, feels a bit off, not sure how you'd fix that other than forcing a random pick

Complicated format, qualifying, semi finals, shoot outs finals gridplay, the whole format takes a video lasting about 10 minutes to explain how it all works and still after that the commentary team don't know what's going on

1 hour ago, wev said:

Just a bunch of other notes from the Extreme E opening weekend.

The races don't really work, not on this kind of surface and I wonder if having a 16km point to point time trial with mandatory pit stop/driver change at the half way mark would have worked better?

They've got two(ish) months to figure it out for the next race but completely agree that it fell apart at race time. Whoever came out of T1 with the lead was guaranteed the win because of the ridiculous amount of dust. They showed an onboard from Button's semi final race (or KERAZY RACE as they want to call it) and he turned right and was presented with a windshield covered with sand and dust. It's no surprise that the semi final races and then the final came down to the cars all being 30 seconds apart, because that's what you needed to be able to see.

Very disappointing because the qualifying was really good to watch, being able to appreciate the skill required to navigate the landscape and that 45° 100m drop will always look stunning.

Exactly and I think building on the qualifying format could be the way to go, turn it into more of a Rally. I mean they would talk alot about the Paris-Dakar, WRC and Rallycross, but this seems to be basically the latter of those three disciplines, over a bigger circuit, with endurance style driver swaps but with the cars being unable to race each other because of these particular conditions (which I can also see causing similar issues when they're on snow).

Still, I really enjoyed it. The iPlayers broadcasting was a bit disjointed, but again, I think theres areas there they can improve things. The commentary with Chandock involved was far better than that for the qualifying too

Fuck me that was awful.

Forget the series for a moment, I'm not sure I've seen worse coverage. A 2hr show for a 10minute race and they still couldn't show any of the other races in full but had time for the same pathetic 10 minutes guiltumentary at least twice trying to convince us Saudi fucking Arabia gives a shit about the environment.  Jennie Gow adds nothing, the main commentator whose name I didn't catch has apparently studied at the "Shout indistinctly all the time" school of David Croft and Karun's worth as the "Expert" is best summed up with this exchange.

"What's this like as a driver?"  "I don't know I've never driven one".

And also Jennie going mad over Molly Taylor "looking comfortable and unrushed" when she's an experienced and successful off road driver who's just been handed a 30 second head start in a 5 minute race. She's driving at 80% tops.

It's not surprising they're clueless though because the system makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's like they taken normal racing, WRX and WRC and then made it terrible. And then picked terrible names for every race so you don't know what's going on.  Calling the B Final and the C Final the Semi Final and Crazy race doesn't help, especially when the commentators call then Semi Final 1 and 2 half the time and ESPECIALLY when they don't really work like a B and C final should.

As Wev points out, the racing doesn't work, 2 minutes in there were 2 30 second gaps.  That was true to the end of the race, because you can't get any closer.  So the start is the race. The car appear to have wipers too but I'm guessing they're either useless or non-functional because no-one used them.

And because of that, of course they pick the men first because among the men there are world championships in WRC, WRX and F1.  In the women there's "1 Australian Rally championships and a few really good Dakar runs on a bike". I'm not sure we actually had a man directly race a woman all weekend.  It's also unfortunate that Rosberg appears to have picked the best woman and the best man, it's hard to see them losing a race.