rllmuk
Sidewaysbob

Motorspot chat - No dull F1 though

Off to Brands on Sunday for the W-series final and DTM

Haven’t kept up with either. Seems like W-series has done as badly as expected? Looking at the standings at least it’s not completely a foregone conclusion?

DTM now 2 litre too, though still a lot more power than other touring cars?

Seems it’s the full circuit this time, I’ve only ever seen racing on the Indy. We have Paddock Hill grandstand tickets, from memory we won’t be able to see the extended bit? Should we walk out to see more of the full GP circuit?

W-Series has been more competitive than I thought but it's still fundamentally got the problem it always had, artificially limiting the field and then expecting anyone outside the series to credit the winner.

The test will be simply if the likes of Chadwick get sponsorship and drives from it.

What's weird to me is they're letting the top... might even be 15 straight back in next season.  I'm sorry but with the exception of Kimiläinen and her injury, anyone not in the top 5 here is not getting to F1 so why are they wasting their money on them.  Same with the fact they pay prize money down to last place, if the aim is to advance women towards F1 that's just wasted cash.

I still think they'd be better going the Race Steps Foundation route but that doesn't allow you to swan around Europe as owner of a racing series.

My guess is, there just aren't enough women, hence trying to get just about everyone to come back.  Chadwick is really the only driver with a record that suggests she can progress in the whole field, and she's the same age as Max Verstappen.  Kimiläinen is 30, so F1 isn't happening, she's exactly who this could help but it needed to come along a decade earlier. 

2nd in the championship is Beitske Visser, in 3 seasons of the old Formula Renault 3.5 (that gave us Kubica and Danny Ric) she had no podia.  In her 3rd season she finished 6 places behind Rene Binder, a man who'll need no introduction to F2/GP2 fans as "generic backmarker).  4th is Alice Powell.  I like Alice but I think I'd get no argument if I said that "9th in Ginetta Jr , 20th in Formula Renault UK and 1 point in GP3" is not a record bound for Formula 1 and that anyone behind her can probably be discounted. Also she's 26.

Even Chadwick, their one great hope isn't exactly a standout.  She won British GT4 and the MRF Challenge and full credit to her for that, she's advancing the chances for those that follow her no end.  But she was 9th and 8th in 2 seasons of British F3 with a single reverse grid victory.  Again, better than most that came before her but she's not your F1 race winner.

So what's the goal here because only 1 of their drivers in any way has a single seater career ahead of them.  So why didn't they just pour the money into that driver in GP3/F3? So is this supposed to be a career destination in itself, in which case it can fuck off in a sport that doesn't discriminate (once on the track).  Or is it just a vanity project from some rich idiots, in which case why should anyone else care?

• Upvote 4

Also yes you should walk round the track, but it'll take you some time and its all woodland so if it rains you'll be skating it.

• Upvote 1

I've been following the W series and I think it's great. Was really chuffed for Chadwick, I think she's got a bright future (despite having a bit of an understandable nightmare race yesterday). Really hope to see her in GP2 next year.

It’s not all about F1. DC talked about it helping them get into other series just through the experience and publicity the series gives them. I mean there have been more Emmerdale actors in the BTCC than women while I’ve been watching. It may be a vanity project for the backers but if it helps women drivers further their careers I’m all for it.

• Upvote 2

Indeed but I'm specifically referring to Chadwick's future who is is very much aiming for F1. Her role with Williams will no doubt help her there also. 

FYI, she's also nominated for the BBC Sports Personality of the year, so get voting! :D 

On 12/08/2019 at 07:13, morcs said:

Was actually great :) 

And I couldn’t agree more. Because I’ve seen the effect even a semi successful but super lovely driver like Sophia Floersch can have.

She, or any of the w series drivers will never be a world champion. But maybe the woman who will be is in a kart this weekend because she saw Alice and Jamie.

• Upvote 4

I don't want to seem to be ragging on W-Series but this illustrates my point.

https://www.motorsport.com/w-series/news/jamie-chadwick-budget-shortfall-f3/4512986/

Jamie Chadwick won $500k from being champion, but has to find at least that again for a season in FIA F3, the only viable step up if your destination is F1.

And W-Series has a prize fund of $1.5million.  But they insist on paying money right down to last place.  

If they only paid down to 5th and put the rest of that money into actually backing their champion, she'd be all but there.  If they paid down to 4th she would be in the car testing already.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Is your plan just to have a bunch of journeywomen running around or is it to promote a woman up the ladder, because they're sure acting like it's the first one.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I read this last night/early hours this morning after seeing her picture but couldn’t place her - loved watching Overhaulin so then it clicked, very sad :( 

I was hoping she'd succeed in her attempt, would be great for my girls to have seen it

• Upvote 1

On 09/09/2019 at 09:50, LowCostMonkey said:

The rain was blamed for this but it was clearly Walter White and his giant magnet.

I love the guy who goes in last 10 seconds after everyone else because he wants to be involved.

And then the guy who escapes right at the end driving past like he's Luigi in Mario Kart.

• Upvote 2

Back on W Series it looks like their next season will include Katherine Legge.

Now let me preface this by saying I genuinely love Katherine.  She's done a huge amount for women in motorsport, she got her career the hard way. She's won races against all comers in single seaters and GT cars.

She's also 39.  If the W Series is wasting their budget employing a 39 year old to drive they can stop pretending now this has anything to do at all with getting women up the ladder to F1 and start admitting they just want to run a racing series and the W part is nothing more than a unique selling point.  They might as well do a "B Series", after all BAME athletes also have trouble getting up the motor racing ladder.

Meanwhile their champion still has no announced drive.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. That's how i'll remember it. 

Youtube thought i might be interested in the 8hrs of California from earlier this year, a round in the intercontinental GT cup/challenge. I was. Last time i watched a race from Laguna Seca had been a few years ago so i was pretty shocked to see the sorry state of the track/buildings. Mazda no longer an official sponsor and i heard rumours of real estate projects closing in on the track and noise complaints from (the new) residents allowing for less and less trackdays. Less track days = less income and things go from bad to worse quickly. Are 'we' letting this 'all time great' track die slowly ? Is Willow Springs the new defacto desert track ? :(

If you can (even if you don't like motorcycles and MotoGP) watch Rossi vs Stoner at Laguna Seca from 2008. Best race i have ever seen, and Stoner famously said to 9 time world champion Rossi after the race that his 'ambition outweighed his talent' after there were a few hairy overtaking manoeuvres.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Meanwhile their champion still has no announced drive.

Only 5 races and probably an terrible as the FE iPace support race 

Yeah, bad timing on my part there.  Of course it's technically a drive but it's hardly furthering her career.

I hope that's not where she's had to spend the $500k.

On 12/09/2019 at 12:12, Pavey said:

If you can (even if you don't like motorcycles and MotoGP) watch Rossi vs Stoner at Laguna Seca from 2008. Best race i have ever seen, and Stoner famously said to 9 time world champion Rossi after the race that his 'ambition outweighed his talent' after there were a few hairy overtaking manoeuvres.

That was amazing stuff. Great track for the bikes as well. Looked like Red Bull payed for some fresh paint, i was surprised how good the track looked on the vid i watched.

Imsa round this weekend, will try to catch some of it. Maybe the september setting will shine a more flattering light on the track. Maybe they've spent some money in the meantime. Let's hope for more of this (2009 ALMS series)):

If i remember correctly tv had mainly focussed on a similarly great battle in the prototype class until that race got 'decided' due to strategy about 10 mins before the end. TV then switched to this GT battle for some icing on the cake. Apart from pit stops these two had been bumper to bumper for the full 4hrs.