Motorspot chat - No dull F1 though

1 minute ago, marsh said:

I thought there was hardly anyone left in it unless you like an Audi? They've been crowing on about the Aston but that's a token gesture.

Did I imagine a scenario where the DTM is going up against the super gt?

You did not, they're converging the rules, although that won't be fully achieved till next year.  a couple of Super GTs are going to run in the last DTM race before a proper joint race at Fuji at the end of the year.

There's a bit of figuring out to be done.  DTM has DRS, Super GT doesn't.  Super GT has a tyre war, DTM uses spec Hankooks.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to Paul Ricard for Blancpain today. Main race starts at 4pm and I will be parking myself in front of a youtube stream for the full six hours. Will be sadly lacking the mad Nissans that monstered the main straight last year, however if the race comes down to the last lap like it did last year, it'll be a real treat.

4 minutes ago, marsh said:

TT is great, they know the risks and if you stop that you should pull stuff like Macau.

Blancpain opening laps delivering in spades.

Where did I say they should stop it?

1 hour ago, marsh said:

My bad, I mis-read it in a typical daily hate type manner.

No problem, just it's the one thing I'm trying very hard not to say, they're welcome to it.

Just for me, it's the one form of motorsport that properly crosses the line.

10 minutes ago, JPR said:

If one GT race isn't enough you can also watch the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship on the IMSA site.

The nice thing about this is you can just rid on board with a few of the cars, one being the #55 Joest Mazda sitting just behind the leaders.

So  while I tidy I've just got the mazda bombing around with natural sound. It's great.

And I was very wrong....Bentley slide an easy win and a lesser spotted Chris Harris picks up a class win in the Aston. Not the classic it was last year but that was a rather exceptional race by all accounts.

70 odd cars lined up for the spa 24hours next month, which just seems like some kind of insanity.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done an 8 hour enduro on the quad so in theory 2x2 hour stints. I said never again after that, but the second time I did it was most definitely my last.

24 hours is a huge no no. So hats off to anyone doing it.

Chris Harris was due to take part in this, so I maintain my theory that he has a higher grade race licence than the stig. 

Race is mental.

10 hours ago, Dr Slotter said:

Not the Nurburgring, but I'm currently doing the end of season British Universities 24hr kart race. Survived my first stint but I'm much slower than all these 20 year olds who have 25kg and 20 years less then me!

Many years ago I did a 24hr race, well it was 4 hours but labels as a 24hr endurance race.... it was fun and hell, indoor karts so not good for the old lungs and when we left I could barely turn the wheel on my car at the first roundabout, PAS wasn’t around much then!! 

24 hours in a Kart must be intense, well impressed!

9 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Many years ago I did a 24hr race, well it was 4 hours but labels as a 24hr endurance race.... it was fun and hell, indoor karts so not good for the old lungs and when we left I could barely turn the wheel on my car at the first roundabout, PAS wasn’t around much then!! 

24 hours in a Kart must be intense, well impressed!

I outsourced quite a lot of it to some youngsters! Fortunately, a few of said youngsters are pretty handy (SuperOne etc.) to offset the less experienced youngsters and the experienced but old fat lads (i.e. me!) to mean we were not not last.

Still struggled to put our two year old in her cotbed just now with achy muscles. Some of the more slimline members of the team have some impressive bruises etc., I'll take that in exchange for being 3-4 seconds a lap slower!

Here's some random footage I found on YT from a previous version of the event to give you a flavour.