Motorspot chat - No dull F1 though

If you like watching cars racing over ploughed fields you're in luck this weekend. YES we're off to sebring for the next round of this endless WEC season on friday night. And the 12 hours IMSA race on saturday. God knows where you can watch any of it. I'm sure the internet will provide if you look hard enough.

the fuck happened here?

https://www.motorsport.com/motoe/news/jerez-fire-bikes-destroyed/4352249/

The nascent all-electric MotoE championship has had its whole roster of Energica Ego Corsa bikes destroyed by an overnight fire.

The MotoE field was in Jerez for three days of pre-season testing, and all 18 bikes that had taken to the track for the opening day on Wednesday were burned.

The fire is thought to have began around 12.15am local time, completely engulfing the MotoE paddock structure that hosted the Ego Corsa machines.

all bikes from ALL the teams?

[edit]

ah, lithium batteries...

fire-in-the-jerez-paddock-1.jpg

Cadilacs walking it as usual.

Why do you have BoP when they don't even try to make it B.  Might as well turn it into an actual racing series.

Also 2 LMP2s, neither of which could beat the GT winner.  Why does that class exist?

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/03/2019 at 08:59, Dudley said:

Also 2 LMP2s, neither of which could beat the GT winner.  Why does that class exist?

This is because the GTLM cars have two Pro drivers whereas the LMP2 cars are Pro/Am. The quickest laps of the Pro drivers in the LMP2 cars are significantly quicker than the Pro drivers in GTLM but the overall distance covered by them is usually less because of the Am drivers.

It exists as a separate class in IMSA because of the IMSA/ACO politics! 

Yeah but those same classes exist with the same rules at LeMans and the P2s are well clear overall.

It's because you're literally just hoping for a Sunday drive with P2 in IMSA now I suspect.

Hah that's my strength too. I'm not that quick but I'm still doing the same laptime 50 laps later.

Actually I'm also good at getting through slow casual karter traffic, but there's none of those people in Linkster's fancy racing either.

Actually, that's something I tend to prove relatively good at too. The last time it was noticed wasn't karting but at a 12-hour enduro simulator race I was part of a few years back around Montreal. A few drivers there were... er... not familiar with the track, the LMP2 car we were running or the use of a steering wheel and/or brake pedal, but I got into a little groove where I could see what people were going to do or were likely to do ahead of me and managed to position the car to sail through just fine. Avoided a fair few bigguns that way!

15 hours ago, marsh said:

Change the discipline. I was never fast enough over a single lap, but three hours? I'm your man!!

:D my brain just doesn't work that way. Loads of people want me to go to Clubman again which is where I had by far most success but I'm just not interested

I'm 46, I am competing routinely against the best in the country who are ovewhelmingly 16-24, spending far more than me, and I still expect to be competitive

I know it sounds from that description that I'm completely fucking mental expecting anything, but I know the drivers I ought to be on the same pace as, and in my last couple of meetings I've achieved so far off what I believe I am capable of that I either have to spend a lot more figuring out what's wrong, or simply do what my brain cannot rule out as a possibility which is I just haven't got the mentality or the pace any more and quit, so I chose the latter

I'm sad about it but that's part of getting old, I'm not interested in going backwards, just find something else to do

I'm so proud of this one - 2016, 43 years old, this is the full-on Pre Final (I'd qualified out of the B final as I'd had three time penalties. so started down the back) of the British championships, 34 karts taking part in a single race

I think my driving is ragged as fuck as I hadn't raced Extreme much, my first season in fact and went straight in to Super One!  I make seven overtakes in this clip, setting a lap time quicker than anyone else in my team's awning (seven extremely good drivers), all of the drivers I passed here are 22 or younger

It’s possible. I’m a sloth. I have gone from gym three times a week to nothing. Last year after I dropped out of supers in april was agony as years of shoulder and neck muscle just wasted away. But there are a dozen possible reasons. I just don’t want to spend what’d take to find out

11 minutes ago, marsh said:

Fair enough, I'm not quite done yet. Was thinking about a blast in a kart with my kids at some point, I take it at every level it's about how much money you can throw at it then?

No mate, my class never used to be about the British championships but that's all anyone who does it bothers with anymore

I resolutely refused to move from the traditional 'direct drive' engines whereas the entire class has gone 'Touch and Go'

But that's cos I still got a kick out of being quicker than half the field :)