Monster Hunter: World

The first ten to twenty minutes of the Best Friends video posted earlier are filled with good tips about menu shortcuts and item management.  Editing radial menus and and item order for use in hunt are really helpful.

Got to admit that at first I wasn't a fan of this new one.  I remember the 3DS versions being much more colourful and less po-faced.  But MHW is really growing on me, despite the stupid map. 

(and Poogie definitely looked better on handheld, in low poly glory....)

1 hour ago, Stoikovich said:

The first ten to twenty minutes of the Best Friends video posted earlier are filled with good tips about menu shortcuts and item management.  Editing radial menus and and item order for use in hunt are really helpful.

Got to admit that at first I wasn't a fan of this new one.  I remember the 3DS versions being much more colourful and less po-faced.  But MHW is really growing on me, despite the stupid map. 

Which video? I looked back a few pages but couldn't seee it.

1 hour ago, Stoikovich said:

I'd add it's worth going through the options for the radial menu too and making it so you have to click to use an item

• Upvote 2
On 2/9/2018 at 12:37, Alan Stock said:

Just watched the video highlighted a while back in the thread, a lets play featuring a lot of handy interface and hunting tips. I already knew most of it but it covers a lot of the advanced stuff new players will easily overlook, so I thought I would repost. Best for players who have been to Wildspire Wastes already as it shows off that area, and one of the monsters there.

Here you go @Purin  :)

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Starbreaker said:

They kept cooking me fish when I ordered meat. The first time I ordered fish, I got chicken. 

Bet you still ate it though

I've got to look into cooking custom stuff. So many ingrediants now

(Tip: Check in the research base regularly as you level up. It's a hole but often sidequests there)

I've not had to bother with customising meals yet, but I have been doing a lot of ingredients side quests and it is worth it. Even without customising the meals, the new ingredients you unlock in the quests get added to the preset recipes. That means they give you better stat boosts. Does it show the numbers anywhere? Like, if I get a Large Defence boost from a meal, how much is that actually adding to my armour?

Ok. Cracked the super amped discharge move with the charge blade. 

Fucking insanity. Sorry to the poor low rank Pukei-Pukei who just served as my practice monster. 

Now to to see if I can use it with some hideous beast bearing down on me. 

Just fought Paolumu for the first time (yeah I know, I'm a slacker*) - what a pushover. I thought it was gonna run away again, but it just collapsed out the blue.

*I really should just crack on with the main missions rather than farm monsters for parts I guess.

• Upvote 1

Still very, very early days but this has drawn me in so much more than I thought it would. Wondering about a switch from Sword and Shield to Dual Blades though -- I never, ever guard with my shield so it seems a little redundant carrying it around.

Now had a couple of expeditions where the monster limps off after a battering and then bloody leaves the locale. What's that all about, it's so annoying after all the work put in? Any way of avoiding it?

Kill it quicker :P

Nah, honestly no idea.

Just had Donut join me when I was mid battle with a Paolumu (fought him a fair few times now since the first for parts - shells mainly!) and, after he went down like the literal sack of hot air he is, on the reward screen I got like 4 shells I think! Was worried the game was gonna make me farm the bugger the rest the night just for a 3 star drop.

• Upvote 1

Got Rathalos last night, would he sit still, would he fuck. And he has this annoying habit of going right to the top of the map, then pissing off as soon as I got there right down to the bottom of the map, spent half an hour climbing up and down until finally Anajanath started a rumble with him which seemed to break the cycle.

That red guy with the bleeding was a bit of a shock as well, still only got carted the one time, once bitten (sliced?) twice shy. The amour is great from him but it totally makes me look like i have a pin head :/

8 hours ago, Len said:

Now had a couple of expeditions where the monster limps off after a battering and then bloody leaves the locale. What's that all about, it's so annoying after all the work put in? Any way of avoiding it?

You can pelt it with your slinger and it will sometimes come back for another pop, but part of the game is definitely chasing the dinos around.

I've put in a shocking amount of hours into this already, my God it's good. Does keep getting harder as well, hoo boy.

11 hours ago, StephenM said:

Still very, very early days but this has drawn me in so much more than I thought it would. Wondering about a switch from Sword and Shield to Dual Blades though -- I never, ever guard with my shield so it seems a little redundant carrying it around.

One of the later dual blades is a pair of sickles that make everything be on fire, if that appeals.

41 minutes ago, Spuck said:

One of the later dual blades is a pair of sickles that make everything be on fire, if that appeals.

That strongly appeals! Although I do wonder if, as someone who is a bit crap at games, I should actually stick with it and re-train myself to use the shield.

7 hours ago, Anth said:

@Len stop using expeditions to hunt that's what investigations are for. Expeditions are used for gathering and exploration.

Hmm, ok but if there's no investigations for the monster in question (was only one to capture) then it makes it more difficult to farm. 

13 minutes ago, Len said:

Hmm, ok but if there's no investigations for the monster in question (was only one to capture) then it makes it more difficult to farm. 

What's wrong with capturing them?

Or SOS look searching for monster you want?

(Investigations will get you more bits too with the B/S/G rewards)

Just played for 4 hours straight, my longest session yet. Made it to the Coral Highlands and did the expedition quest there. Slowly getting the hang of this now. 

Changed from a Bow to the Switch Axe (Flammenbeil) and upgraded my Pukei Pukei armor fully as well. I look like an actual Monster Hunter!:omg:

Spoiler

flammenbeil.png

pukei_armor_set_mhw_small.png

• Upvote 1