Monster Hunter: World

13 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I think that’s dcripted because it’s hsppened every single time I’ve hunted either of them.

Its not really scripted tho is it, its just something that can happen if they meet and there is a fairly high chance that's gonna happen. To be scripted it would have to happen the same way each time. The beauty if this game is the chaos that can erupt mid battle, thats why farming the same monster is hardly ever boring as you never know how each hunt will pan out esp once you factor in multiplayer.

I would like to see Nergigante have a turf war, today i have seen two Diablos and another large monster i wont name duke it out and you haven't lived until you've seen that, was amazing.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I think that’s dcripted because it’s hsppened every single time I’ve hunted either of them.

I've only hunted each once apiece but they're territory seems to cross

43 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Its not really scripted tho is it, its just something that can happen if they meet and there is a fairly high chance that's gonna happen. To be scripted it would have to happen the same way each time. The beauty if this game is the chaos that can erupt mid battle, thats why farming the same monster is hardly ever boring as you never know how each hunt will pan out esp once you factor in multiplayer.

That particular instant in the quest (Anj and Rath) is scripted. But just in that quest. Everything else is up to the chance.

If a monster is popping up and spoiling your shit hit them with dung pods and they'll fuck off

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Pukei Pukei down with less than 60 seconds to spare!!

That was me who turned up to help btw. I think you are mistaken, after slaying a beast you only get a minute to harvest before it warps you home. I got screwed over with my last big monster because I didn't realise that and wasted time killing small monsters in the vicinity, missing out on extra hides from the big one :(

I just did Pukei solo but died once in the process, the tongue attack is vicious. Like with your battle spanx he ended up getting attacked by the t res thing too, and also the grand jagus!

I'd been stubbornly avoiding the Elder Melder since his arrival, assuming his inclusion was to make decorations pointlessly fast and easy to acquire. I checked him out now to see if I could cheat and get an easy free-element decoration but all he offers for now is a few basic elemental attack/resistance decorations which is a relief. Even better, though, is that to make one meagre fire attack decoration, I have to trade in ... wait for it ... 100 decorations I currently possess. :lol: I only have 10 decorations after 120 hours of playing! Obviously there are going to be way more opportunities to get them now that I'm doing mostly high rank stuff, and better decorations will be worth more than the shitty 10pts ones I have for now, but I love that there's still an element of entirely optional endgame grind here.

Just did the expedition to set up the Forest Camp (and to kill off that Kulu-Ya-Ku). Really enjoying this so far but: 

1. Why do you need to 'accept' all of the rewards, per item, at the end of a quest? Isn't there an "accept all" option?

2. Why is there a "sell all" button? Why would you ever need to do that?

3. Is there a way to skip the Canteen/Smithy animations? (if not then I'll guess we'll get that option in a future patch).

4. I seem to drop items when trying to pick up a new item. How do I make my inventory bigger? Why do some items say that they're 20/20 and others 4/4? Can you only pick up a certain number of specific items? 

1. No and it's annoying

2. Don't know, it's always been like that and no, you'd never sell anything 

3. Press start

4. In old games you could increase your inventory, not sure about in this one. You can't pick up new stuff because your bags are full of shit you probably don't need e.g. if you're melee and your bags are full of stuff to make bullets for the bowguns. Get into the habit of going to the item box and dumping crap and only taking on hunts the things you'll need (10 potions, 10 mega potions, enough mats to make 10 more of each etc). They say 20/20 and 4/4 etc because some things you can hold 20 of, some things you can only hold four of. 

I was absolutely hooked on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U but this hasn’t done the same. It’s quite the time sink and I’m finding it’s too much. You can play for quite a while and get nowhere. I’m not sure I’m up for that right now. Will perhaps dabble a bit but already I seem to be miles behind other playes HR when I look up up what’s available in online multiplayer.

Clearly it’s a good game though.

14 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Just did the expedition to set up the Forest Camp (and to kill off that Kulu-Ya-Ku). Really enjoying this so far but: 

1. Why do you need to 'accept' all of the rewards, per item, at the end of a quest? Isn't there an "accept all" option?

3. Is there a way to skip the Canteen/Smithy animations? (if not then I'll guess we'll get that option in a future patch).

4. I seem to drop items when trying to pick up a new item. How do I make my inventory bigger? Why do some items say that they're 20/20 and others 4/4? Can you only pick up a certain number of specific items? 

8 minutes ago, Orko said:

1. No and it's annoying

2. Don't know, it's always been like that and no, you'd never sell anything 

3. Press start

4. In old games you could increase your inventory, not sure about in this one. You can't pick up new stuff because your bags are full of shit you probably don't need e.g. if you're melee and your bags are full of stuff to make bullets for the bowguns. Get into the habit of going to the item box and dumping crap and only taking on hunts the things you'll need (10 potions, 10 mega potions, enough mats to make 10 more of each etc). They say 20/20 and 4/4 etc because some things you can hold 20 of, some things you can only hold four of. 

If I remember rightly, there used to be a 'send all to item box' option in previous games - not sure why that isn't here now. You absolutely will be selling rewards in late game, though, when you already have a hundred rathalos scales or whatever and want the money instead to forge/upgrade. I think the idea here is that you pick out the stuff you want to keep and then hit sell all. Early game though, yeah, you want to keep everything.

Oh, and in which old games could you increase your inventory? :unsure: Your item box, sure, but not your pouch. I didn't play it on PS2, admittedly.

• Upvote 1

The first Zorah whatever fight was a bit rubbish really wasn't it? I wish the game wouldn't try to do scripted action sequences, they come off really C-List in comparison to the rest of the game. 

I'm not actually convinced that my input was required for much of those twenty minutes. For a lot of each section of the fight I was confused about where I was going but everything just seemed to push forward whether I did anything or not. At one point I just got a message on screen that basically said something like 'flying to next area' and it just warped me somewhere else, and I only smashed one lava thing but it didn't seem to matter. 

This type of stuff is certainly in the minority, just feels so weak next to the rest of it. 

• Upvote 3

Defeated the Barroth - getting very into the loop now. Still feel bewildered with all the flashing icons and stuff happening all over the shop but every hour something else becomes clear. 

Looking forward to a full on 4-player monster takedown

15 minutes ago, Majora said:

The first Zorah whatever fight was a bit rubbish really wasn't it? I wish the game wouldn't try to do scripted action sequences, they come off really C-List in comparison to the rest of the game. 

I'm not actually convinced that my input was required for much of those twenty minutes. For a lot of each section of the fight I was confused about where I was going but everything just seemed to push forward whether I did anything or not. At one point I just got a message on screen that basically said something like 'flying to next area' and it just warped me somewhere else, and I only smashed one lava thing but it didn't seem to matter. 

This type of stuff is certainly in the minority, just feels so weak next to the rest of it. 

It's an attempted re-imagining of a multiplayer elder dragon event in MH3 where, although scripted in a similar way, your performance as a team absolutely affected the outcome of the quest. This adaptation of it is inferior in every way, bar graphically, especially when done solo. I appreciated the effort and the reference, anyway.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, wev said:

@Orko

Your question about dropping stuff, could it be ammo for the slingshot thing? If you have Stones and then try to pick up the moss stuff it'll swap that for the stones and discard the latter.

I didn't ask a question about dropping stuff, I was answering VN1X as he was asking why he couldn't pick stuff up without swapping it. 

2 hours ago, VN1X said:

Hold the button down rather than pressing it for each reward. This also works when gathering from nodes with multiples (mining etc).

You can skip canteen animations etc by pressing the Option button on the DS4 (you can also do this to cancel the cinematic camera when killing/capturing a monster so you can get to carving asap)

Filling the pouch up completely isn't something ive found myself doing but if needs be, you can quick travel to a camp to drop your stuff off without leaving the map (and resupply, swap equipment etc too). Enter the tent to do so (and to quick travel, open your map and press X on a camp)

• Upvote 6
2 hours ago, Barrow48 said:

I've just picked this up on the PS4 Pro. Which graphics option would people recommend? 

Performance mode (or whatever it calls it - the frame-rate focussed mode). I tried all three, and frankly the extra smoothness of performance mode is far more noticeable than any extra shineys from the other two modes.

Just fought my first odoragon without any prep (stupid quest that starts without going to the quest board :angry:); it carted me once and I promptly ran away. I'll go back later and deal with it while more properly prepared; just need to get a few elemental sacs and great hornflies going so I can get a nice anti-dragon butterfly armour set first...

(or I could just ignore the elemental side of the fight and wade in with my full Legiana suit, I suppose)

Multiplayer questions:

1 - If I summon a friend for combat, it makes the monster harder. But does it scale it to the level of the player joining me? If people higher level than me join in, am I making it too easy for myself?

2 - If someone helps you kill a big monster, they can also carve it. But does this take away from what you can harvest or is there a seperate "pool" for each player? What about small monsters?

About to fight Anjanath, wish me luck!

I get that quests are the main missions and I get that bounty’s are like bonus tasks that you take on and get rewards for. 

But I don’t quite get investigations. What are they and should I have loads on the go at once? 

Why do there seem seem to be repeat ones? 3 on one page that say to do the same thing. I know I’m just being dense. 

• Empathy 1

Having a great time in this. Some of the monster fights are so epic and co-op is great fun, I hop into multiplayer quests just for the laughs though you usually get useful stuff outa it too. 

The environments are brilliant, I have unlocked two more big zones. It reminds me a lot of Xenoblade Chronicles in visual style, its gorgeous.

Had an awesome battle with Spanx where he helped me take out the rock/mud monster in the wastes as it ran around the whole zone and into the attractive purple swamp. I died at one point and I could hear him on the mic shouting "run, run!" as it tried to finish him off too! It ended with him jumping on its back whilst I finished it with a great blade charge attack, so cool. Another forumite helped me take down Anjanath in a very long fight where I nearly died multiple times, and I got it with 3 traps barely causing a scratch in its vulnerablity. It also ended up fighting with two or three other big monsters during the whole thing. You are never sure whether to stand back and watch or try to get some sneaky hits in! We were hacking his legs to crap! Now I've researched it, turns out you can lop off its tail! We should make a list of who on the rllmuk guild is what forum name as I have no idea who half the folk are. Anyway, top times, up to level 6 or 7 now and just got cool ass shades and fatty armour. So far the fights haven't been too bad but they are getting tougher as it goes on. I think the one that gave me the most trouble was the electric Wyvern, I died on that one and ended up trying SOS, even then it nearly killed me a few timesl