Monster Hunter: World

1 hour ago, Melon_Bread said:

This is like the least button mashy game ever, you might get past the first few fights mashing buttons but later on, oh boy, will you have problems. 

The combat is not about endless combo's and more moves opening as you play, the weapons are exactly the same at the start as they are at the end, no new moves open up. This game is about learning the monsters attack patterns and punishing the openings you spot, the more you play the more stylish a manner you are able to do this, it is your skill that levels up not a number on the screen, it's the most rewarding game I have ever played skill wise.

Neil-Patrick-Harris-Requests-The-Highest

• Upvote 2
40 minutes ago, wev said:

Thanks. I'll probably leave it for now, it's more for when others (kids) want the TV so I can do investigations but that time can be used to continue with P5 or Danganronpa 2

Just tried it again and it's just OK. Much better to use a laptop/PC, PS4 pad and the Remote Play App.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

Monster Hunter World supports VR?

In that you can use the VR headset to display a giant screen rather than hogging the telly then yes. All ps4 games work this way.  It's not got any proper VR content. 

9 minutes ago, cassidy said:

In that you can use the VR headset to display a giant screen rather than hogging the telly then yes. All ps4 games work this way.  It's not got any proper VR content. 

Never thought of that. Clever.

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

This is pretty much all I'm doing. I was expecting the combat to be a bit like Dragons Dogma for some reason, which I love. I'm sure it opens up and becomes more sophisticated but I'm impatient to get past the mash the buttons phase.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

It's more that there are combos at all that confused me. Also, how do I climb onto the back of monsters? Its happened a few times and I've no idea how. Likewise there are some showstopping moves you pull off that also seem to be triggered by combos.

I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Your second question answers your first. Repeatedly spamming a single attack button while get you so far, but then it will just get you killed. You're going to have to learn your weapon. I know precisely where to stand and at what point to press triangle+circle followed by R2 to hit Rathian square in the face all 3 times when she's about to fireblast the entire team and not only deny her but add a nice buff to all nearby. It looks cool as fuck, and that's because I know what I'm doing. I didn't mash way to this, I refined my way to it.

• Upvote 3

You'll need to search via session ID to join Anth's session. Once you're in the squad you'll have the option to join a squad session after you start the game.

Oh, if you're just starting out, you'll have to play until you unlock the gathering hub, then you can join the session via your quest board (pick online session > search > search via session ID)

• Upvote 3

Cheers Anth.

Shame only the leader can add new people, as I'll still be on for sure by the time Len's on.

Currently trying to work out why I cant seem to upgrade my bone blade to a bone blade II - do I need to upgrade the starting weapon to be able to do that, or am I doing something wrong? Nevermind, I found out that pressing R1 when upgrading shows your equipped items and I could do it from there :facepalm:

Just beaten Baroth which led me to punch the air and about "YES!!"  which is very unlike me :lol: probably used the wrong Switch-Axe though as I had the bone one equipped rather than Iron but my bone one has Exhaust as it's elemental attack.

4 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Total newb here (only rank 2) but would like in as well. I've probably spent more time running about in Investigations when I should be doing the main quests to rank up.

Don't worry Mr Ben, by this time next week you'll be rank 100 and telling us all how to play.

Doubtful, judging by what I've been doing all night. Been out trying to work out how to do Investigations, when it turns out they're quests I had to pick up while in exploration mode. I was killing Vespoids, wondering why it wasnt counting towards the 20 I was supposed to kill :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

@Herbalizer and I managed to down Anjanath ... with a little help.

I just did that, with the same result. Scripted encounter,  clearly!

Still, what a game. I finally, FINALLY got more time with it tonight - I've played for six hours total since release due to illness and work, but tonight I downed tobi and angie first time nps. Hammer almost makes it too easy! :lol:

Odogoran is a vicious bastard! I need a faster weapon for him. It might finally be time to learn how to Insect Glaive, although I'll probably be better off going Sword and Shield.

Those "Turf war" moments, even if they are scripted, just look cool as all fuck. This is the best game.

5 hours ago, Anth said:

Should be on a while tonight session ID  is mifmvbJji3n for anyone wanting to join the PSN squad.

Just joined and still on , hurray!

Gonna wolf my dinner down and be back on in 30m.