Monster Hunter: World

Yeah I'm loving the hunting horn - looking through the upgrade tree there also appears to be at least 3 variants (so far) for the notes you play - all of which allow different party buffs so it's probably going to be even more important to bring the right horn for the hunt or else you'll have buffs that don't make much benefit for the party!!!!

I always love the sheer mental design that goes into hunting horns. The droth drone, which was made from royal ludroth bits (think a great jagras except it's "hair" was made of spongebob Square pants instead of dreadlocks) was basically a microphone and speakers made of out monster parts and it was glorious

image.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-26-monster-hunter-world-tips-5937

Sorry, I have never played an online RPG and don't know what EG mean by "farming a single monster (...) Doing so can get you a complete armour set for that creature". Can someone please explain?

Also, how exactly does upgrading my weapons/armor work? I just talk to the Smithy, choose "Upgrade" and press a button as soon as the "upgrade tree" appears? Or do I actually need to think about it and take decisions? Something to do with "Armor Spheres" too... I think...?

AND (sorry!) I just saw some people doing some sort of fire magic with their weapons. How do they do that?

33 minutes ago, Anth said:

Just set up an online session on PSN and should be on for most of the night so anyone wanting do to some co-op or wanting to join the rllmuk squad can jump in. Online ID  is 6vJt72taj2Be

When I search for rllmuk squad's online session and join it, it's empty.

Never mind, I got in with the online ID.

Right somethings must be weird with my investigations. 3 times I've taken anji down. Still no investigations for her. I have 60+ all told. I've done assignments till I'm HR7 and next one is to head out in a balloon. 

So instead I head out to investigate exploring the forest to look for Anj. Find footprints so follow. Level that up repeatedly as normal. See some investigations unlock on screen. Take Anj down again, still none to register. What is going on. I demand my flammenzahn upgrade tree! 

Other than that, well its pretty much one of the best games ever with the greatest gameplay loop ever. 

6 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Where might I then be able to retrieve the armor? Straight afterwards ("equip now"?) or somewhere in the city...?

Don't know rearding the weapon. It looked like some  sort of "special attack".

You literally collect the armour as it is forged, and if you don't select "Equip now" you still collect it, it just sits in your list of available armours for when you next choose to "Change Equipment" at any of the item boxes.

This 'fire magic' you're talking about, was it a Gunlance? That has Wyvern Fire as a special, a powerful blast that takes a while to cool down. Other than that, I can only think it was the Phial Discharge on a Charge Blade. Neither are magic, they're just parts of the weapon's attack set.

How do you tell the scout flies to take you to a specific resource node on the map? I R3'd on a mining node and they decided to take me monster hunting instead? I need dragonite ore to upgrade my aqua hammer

1 hour ago, Terria said:

The next quest is telling me to hunt a Ratholos. I know that name, that's the famous big bad of Monster Hunter isn't it?

It's not the big bad, it's just a particularly recognisable one because it's the first typically fantasy type dragon you fight, is hyper aggressive and is always a memorable scrap.

@cassidy, I promise I'm not trying to wind you up with this, but I currently have 2 Anjanath investigations available to me, as well as at least 2 more where it is one of 2 or 3 monsters. You must just be being really unlucky, which of course means that you'll get them sooner or later.

If you're on PS4, I'm in the Rllmuk squad session, and will be on for pretty much the rest of the night. I have no objection to running them a few times, I can do each one 5 times, but 1 of them is on a 30 minute limit.

Barroth down first time, most enjoyable the little bugger. Stop that rolling in the mud to protect yourself....kersmash!

How do I upgrade my weapon (currently Bone B;ade I) as it just always says upgrade not available but I can't see what I need to do or get to upgrade. Sure I'm missing something obvious.

32 minutes ago, Len said:

How do I upgrade my weapon (currently Bone B;ade I) as it just always says upgrade not available but I can't see what I need to do or get to upgrade. Sure I'm missing something obvious.

You can only upgrade to something on the same tree. Are you looking to upgrade Bone Blade I to Bone Blade II? That is literally the only upgrade available, anything else requires the previous weapons in the tree to be completed first.

• Upvote 1

I avoided Diablos in the beta, but he is utterly demolishing me in this. Almost one-shotting me and I've fully upgraded my rare 3 armour. Am I really still playing low rank? :o It's fucking ace, anyway. What a fucking brilliant transition they made with him in this.

So it turns out I can't kill an Anjanath for shit with my water bow but I can murder the living fuck out of them with my fossil hammer. Just working on getting some extra parts for my blazing hammer.

x92CCVc.jpg

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

You can only upgrade to something on the same tree. Are you looking to upgrade Bone Blade I to Bone Blade II? That is literally the only upgrade available, anything else requires the previous weapons in the tree to be completed first.

Yes, exactly that. I'll take another look.

p.s. Jyuratodus down first time as well. Hurray! :)

I’ve only just really got going with this and I honestly don’t have a clue what’s going on! It keeps throwing page after page of tutorials at me whenever I do anything and I’ve read that much I haven’t taken any of it in.

I did just do the first Great Jagras mission where it gave me 50 minutes, and I took him down in 15. Is that good? I had no idea what I was doing really. Just locked on, kept chasing him down and twatting him and rolling out of the way of his more signposted attacks. I eventually got him back to his lair and finished him off there. Pretty entertaining, but like I say, what’s going on?!

I’ve just been sent off on an expedition to setup a new campsite. I’ve got to the spot and been told I need to take the bird thing down, so I’ve left it there.

I really hope it all starts making some kind of sense as it’s just completely overwhelming at the moment.

I seriously don't get the whole Grimalkyne thing. I manged to find what was clearly their area in Ancient Forest, but none of the little basta ... um ... guys were there. I found a Felyne Researcher, he told me they are Bugtrappers, and then I chased a cat to where I already had been. Still nothing. Went back down, somehow seemed to find them again, and this time when I went back up they finally existed!

Now trying to find them in Wildspire Wastes, and all I'm getting is Doodles. Apparently at some point this is meant to change into a trail? I must have found about 100 sodding Doodles by this point, but nothing is letting me know anything about "the Protectors" as the Felyne Researcher told me. And then, because I wasn't paying attention, I had my Fishing Rod equipped and so wasn't able to Antidote out of Rathian's poison.

I already found them in Coral Highlands, and even have their quest. Why is Wildspire proving so impossible? 

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

Apparently at some point this is meant to change into a trail? I must have found about 100 sodding Doodles by this point, but nothing is letting me know anything about "the Protectors" as the Felyne Researcher told me. 

It's not very well explained (surprise!) Open your map and in the bottom left hand corner it shows you the monsters you have the ability to track. You can also track the protectors from here once you've collected enough doodles. Just move the cursor over their progress bar and select it. 

I currently have a protector voucher and something called a 'first wyvern print'. Their descriptions seem to indicate that I take them to the smithy and talk to him but no new options immediately stood out to me when I went to talk to him. What am I meant to do with them?