IGNORED

Monster Hunter: World

Yoshimax

24 minutes ago, Mr.Crowley said:

So, should I just stop hunting bigger monsters during expeditions? They keep “leaving the location”. Bullshit.

I don't think you need to stop hunting them, but if you're going after one in particular, you need to target it and aggressively go after it. I know during the expedition I did early on, Anj was stomping around and I was avoiding him and it was a good long while before he left the area for good (I managed to kill both a great jagras and a kulu ya Ku in the time). It was brilliant, actually. Hiding in bushes, following it at a safe distance, watching it attack and eat aptonath - felt great. 

17 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I think matchmaking is officially broken on Xbox at the moment, there's probably plenty of players out there but everything apart from private sessions is just not working. Hopefully they'll fix it for you quickly.

18 minutes ago, Flub said:

XBox version matchmaking has been completely offline since launch. Capcom are trying to get it working (Maybe a beta next time fellas)

Ahhhh. Thanks for the update. I must have missed the in game message that said everything was broken, assuming there was one of course. Hurray for exclusive betas I guess!

I confidently thought I would be playing only solo before I actually played the game, but now I understand the structure that definitely won't be the case. I'll do the story quests on my own but grinding enemies for materials will definitely be much more fun online. Hope they sort the Xbox matchmaking out soon.

2 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Ahhhh. Thanks for the update. I must have missed the in game message that said everything was broken, assuming there was one of course. Hurray for exclusive betas I guess!

No in game notification at all. I think the only official word we had was a a tweet by the MonsterHunterWorld twitter account. It sucks. I think this game would be amazing fun with a bunch of randoms. The best kind of shambles

23 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

For anyone interested in the Horizon Zero Dawn armour for your cat.  I somehow didn't read the huge message displayed on this.  Just in case you did the same:

image.thumb.png.384308ae0ecf6ce7a1c76b16a78a4dac.png

Looks like the event ends on the 8th

I tried soloing it and got wrecked. You have to take down a bunch of flying bastards, all the while a giant version of that dinosaur that killed Newman from Seinfeld in Jurassic Park is also running around periodically flashbanging you.

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I tried soloing it and got wrecked. You have to take down a bunch of flying bastards, all the while a giant version of that dinosaur that killed Newman from Seinfeld in Jurassic Park is also running around periodically flashbanging you.

Take a bow in with you, and just avoid the flashy bastard. It's really not that tough a quest, and I'll be happy to go in with you tonight and keep Barney busy while you shoot the birds if you like? 

It's been a while since a game sucked me in quite as much as this one has - I'm sitting at work looking up weapon tutorials to see what else I might want to give a try. Dual blades is my main and I'm quite liking the hunting horn/bagpipes/didgeridoo for the mix of damage and buffs it provides.

Might give the bow a little shot for the "kill 20 wasp things" bounties as I think that would make life a fair bit easier :) 

Now if only Capcom could get the xbone online matchmaking working :) might post a session code up later tonight for the poor lonely xbox players who think no one else bought the game.

15 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

In the spirit of everyone asking what's in this game can anyone confirm whether the farm or a shop of some sort is in this game?

I'm currently growing honey in my farm and there's definitely a shop for the basics

Done each of the bigger monster quests up to Anjanath now, experimenting with different weapons. Settled on the bow, which I upgraded to have bonus lightning damage.

This made Anjanath the easiest fight so far, not yet had to use an SOS flare, but seems I need the advantage of distance to be effective. I'm sure that this will be my undoing very shortly!

6 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Yeah but I fancy learning 3 weapon types and a long range weapon seems the best choice of what's left :)

Yeah. I've kinda settled on the hammer, bow and switchaxe at the moment. I also might give the hunting horn a try.

Am now about 10 hours in.

Just defeated the Jyuratodus - next up it's telling me is the Anj.  Killed Jyu with 1 faint left using twin bone slicers... phew....

My attacking still feels a bit spammy - I can dodge and counter based on the monsters attack patterns, but when I'm countering, I'm mashing the buttons (albeit successfully).  Any fighting tips?  I see in some videos people climbing over the Monsters attacking... I *think* I've done that once, without knowing how...

Edit:  Also, how do you increase your Hunter Rank?  Is it only possible via the story quests?  Level 4 after the Jyu quest... wanna get to 6 in order to attempt the Horizon event...

To mount (fnarr) a monster you have to jump at it from above and attack.

Combat it a bit souls like in that if you take the piss you get walloped. It's about learning how far you can push an attack and when you need to fat roll out of dodge. Dunno about countering. I didn't know you could do that. When I first started I was using dual swords and I was just mashing on Barroth until he gave up.

With twin blades it's super worth eating from the canteen or eating meat to increase your stamina. The dodge you get in demon mode is insanely powerful at allowing you to just wail on the legs of things and dodge an attack right into the next combo. Get used to the button press timings rather than just mashing triangle helps too. Though I still fall victim to panic mashing too.

11 minutes ago, Flub said:

It's about learning how far you can push an attack and when you need to fat roll out of dodge. Dunno about countering. I didn't know you could do that. When I first started I was using dual swords and I was just mashing on Barroth until he gave up.

"fat roll out of dodge" - Yup, I've got this nailed.

"Countering" - I think I made this up - just my way of explaining how I dodge a monsters attack and follow up with an attack of my own

1 minute ago, Terria said:

With twin blades it's super worth eating from the canteen or eating meat to increase your stamina. The dodge you get in demon mode is insanely powerful at allowing you to just wail on the legs of things and dodge an attack right into the next combo. Get used to the button press timings rather than just mashing triangle helps too. Though I still fall victim to panic mashing too.

"Get used to the button press timings rather than just mashing triangle helps too" - This is what I need help with I think, I just generally panic mash triangle.

Start using circle to close distance more when you're in Demon Mode and Archdemon Mode, it becomes incredibly useful, often moving you through to avoid frontal attacks on monsters to wail on their tail for a bit. Honestly half the time I'm not even sure what animations the monster is doing because the camera is so close up and it works out pretty well because I'm moving so much.

Just now, Terria said:

Start using circle to close distance more when you're in Demon Mode and Archdemon Mode, it becomes incredibly useful, often moving you through to avoid frontal attacks on monsters to wail on their tail for a bit. Honestly half the time I'm not even sure what animations the monster is doing because the camera is so close up and it works out pretty well because I'm moving so much.

What is Archdemon???  I've only seen Demon

When the you fill the bar in demon mode then your stamina runs out with it full I think is the trigger for archdemon mode. It's effectively regular mode with a juiced up move set, much like demon modes. It's not always the easiest to tell it has activated, but then you'll just find yourself moving better and doing more damage and generally kicking ass.

1 minute ago, Terria said:

When the you fill the bar in demon mode then your stamina runs out with it full I think is the trigger for archdemon mode. It's effectively regular mode with a juiced up move set, much like demon modes. It's not always the easiest to tell it has activated, but then you'll just find yourself moving better and doing more damage and generally kicking ass.

There is a bar that fills up!!!????  I'm gonna have to go back to this and check it out... lolz