IGNORED

Monster Hunter: World

Yoshimax

8 hours ago, ravnaz said:

Investigations need to be started with the handler after registering them. 

This is really helpful, thanks. I've just been accepting them and heading out on an expedition, which seemed like a reasonable assumption. It's a fantastic, beautiful game, and working stuff out yourself is a part of that - my daughter's playing too, and we've been swapping tips and discoveries all weekend - but I think it's fair to say it's also a massive fanny in some respects (including its use of the fan).

37 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Is there much difference between the PS4 Pro and regular PS4? I have a 4K TV (not HDR, unfortunately :( ) so thinking of upgrading if it's noticeable.

And the TV, of course.

The Pro gives you three options: prioritise graphics (extra shadows and draw distance), prioritise resolution (runs at 1800p instead of 1080p) or prioritise framerate (runs a bit more smoothly, apparently around 40-45fps rather than 30).

I'm using the framerate mode and it makes an appreciable difference.  I think the original PS4 struggles to even hit 30 so the difference would probably be even more apparent if you upgraded. If you're not so fussed about that then the resolution mode is genuinely beautiful to look at.

The HDR implementation in this game isn't great so you're not actually missing too much in this specific case.

I'm also using the Prioritise Frame-rate option after trying them all. 

I own a Pro and a 1080p TV, and I've found myself almost always using the "Performance" mode in games rather than high resolution/super-sampling. Even in games like Horizon Zero Dawn, it makes everything feel a bit more stable. 

Framerate all the way. Game looks drop dead gorgeous anyway, might as well get some extra frames per second.

Also, I killed Rathlos 5 times yesterday. Sever the tail and the beast becomes 75% less dangerous. And I bumped into Diablos by accident for which is profusely apologized by comically running away.

Just now, Bazjam said:

Is there any advantage (other than looking cool) to having a complete armour set, or is it better to mix up what'savailable?

More defense?

Also, each armour piece seems to offer skills/modifiers - having a full set will net you all the skills provided.

Whilst working things out - it seems some weapons I want, have negative affinity (chance to hit?), and the way to combat that is to have armour that provides additional affinity skill modifiers

I've started playing around with the switch axe. Might be one of the fastest blunting weapons I've played with yet. It also feels like it takes a super long time to build up charge on the sword for the element discharge. Maybe I'm just bad with it still?

18 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

More defense?

Also, each armour piece seems to offer skills/modifiers - having a full set will net you all the skills provided.

Whilst working things out - it seems some weapons I want, have negative affinity (chance to hit?), and the way to combat that is to have armour that provides additional affinity skill modifiers

Affinity is your chance to get a critical hit, not hit in general, as I understand it. I think negative affinity gives a chance of a kind of negative crit, where you hit for less damage.

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/monster-hunter-world/What_is_Affinity

"You may notice a stat on Weapons called Affinity in Monster Hunter World. It's actually quite simple.

Affinity is actually the chance of landing critical hits when attacking monsters. So the higher the Affinity, the more likely a weapon will inflict critical hits.

If a weapon has negative Affinity, you might actually land weak attacks occasionally instead.

Affinity can be further increased by Armor Skills, such as Critical Eye, Critical Draw, and Affinity Sliding.

Attack Boost also increases Affinity if it's stacked to a high enough level."

39 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Has this been posted yet? Capcom released a statement on its site confirming it has somehow flogged five million copies of this already, including digital, which apparently makes it the best selling Monster Hunter title ever. In three days.:blink:

So 10 copies on Xbox and the rest on PS4 then? Went for the X version for the best performing/shiniest and it's a... Barroth wasteland (pause for laughter). 

Coming from the 3DS where you can jump into an online game at any minute of the day this has been such a disappointment. Here's hoping for some sort of Switch Monster Hunter soon to bring it back to the portable.

2 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

mmm, for some reason, now trying to start a game - it's asking for me to go through an "online session" either by searching or creating one.  This wasn't there before and I'm just doing single player... what gives?

It's meant to do that. Just create one. You can set it private if you want and have a solo hub.

3 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

So 10 copies on Xbox and the rest on PS4 then? Went for the X version for the best performing/shiniest and it's a... Barroth wasteland (pause for laughter). 

Coming from the 3DS where you can jump into an online game at any minute of the day this has been such a disappointment. Here's hoping for some sort of Switch Monster Hunter soon to bring it back to the portable.

XBox version matchmaking has been completely offline since launch. Capcom are trying to get it working (Maybe a beta next time fellas)

3 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I think matchmaking is officially broken on Xbox at the moment, there's probably plenty of players out there but everything apart from private sessions is just not working. Hopefully they'll fix it for you quickly.