Monster Hunter: World

Yoshimax

9 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

OK found the items in my box. None of these spheres to upgrade armour though. Also, nothing of materials? E. G. Bone, etc

It seems as if all the monster parts are just stored in their own place, which I have no idea how to access. You'll be told at the Smithy how many of anything you have and need, though. For example, even though I don't where they are, I currently have 41 Iron Ores.

18 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

OK found the items in my box. None of these spheres to upgrade armour though. Also, nothing of materials? E. G. Bone, etc

You can see the number of armour spheres you have when you choose a piece of armour to upgrade in the workshop. I'm not sure if the number you have currently shows up anywhere else.

20 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

It seems as if all the monster parts are just stored in their own place, which I have no idea how to access. You'll be told at the Smithy how many of anything you have and need, though. For example, even though I don't where they are, I currently have 41 Iron Ores.

It seems this way yes. 

40 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

34 minutes ago, MrCarrot said:

You can see the number of armour spheres you have when you choose a piece of armour to upgrade in the workshop. I'm not sure if the number you have currently shows up anywhere else.

18 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

It seems this way yes. 

In the item box, choose 'sell items' then press R2 (or the equivalent on Xbox controllers) to shift across to the 'materials' tab. It's all there.

Last couple of days I've done only a little bit of story stuff, focussing instead on farming earlier monsters using a different weapon each time. As ever, the weapons are as much the game as the monsters. I'm starting to just about get familiar with zones in the Ancient Forest to the extent that I can try to outrun the scoutflies before they point me in the direction, although they always catch up. The amount of joyful superficial details they've added is kind of overwhelmingly wonderful, such as the capture platform in the hub displaying your last catch, and the piscine fisherman chucking his fish back in the water, or the incredible looking armour sets which are half the reason I'm farming earlier monsters. In so many ways, they finally made the true dream sequel to the best game ever made, Monster Hunter Fucking Tri. I love it more every time I play it. :wub:

A bit of tinkering and modding when this comes to PC and it could be even better than it already is.

3 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

Dumb ass question answered by the games title : how do I find a specific monster? 

Any tips? I'm currently after a Kuala wot sit. 

Investigations seem to be the best way to get specific monster parts

1 minute ago, ravnaz said:

Dumb ass question answered by the games title : how do I find a specific monster? 

Any tips? I'm currently after a Kuala wot sit. 

If it's a quest monster, you'll find it. Just get a couple of its tracks collected, let your Scoutflies follow them. If you're looking for it in an Expedition, though, you're pretty much going to have to pin it on the map, which you'll only get to do once you've managed to find it in the first place.

PSN is working again, and I made a wondrous discovery! The 'Prance' gesture is available for free in the PlayStation Store. I was quite annoyed when I thought they'd removed it, should have known better. I doubt I'll pay for any of the others, although that Guildmarm outfit for my Handler is actually tempting me.

I've just done 2 run-throughs of the Horizon DLC Event Quest, and it's a pretty good one. Just the right side of bloody annoying for a solo player!

I've not really played much MH before, 50 hours on Generations which barely scratched the surface, but this has already got its talons under my skin. I've only put five or six hours in, just took down the Pukei and I've now upgraded the big bastard sword with a Pukei poison effect. It just looks damn cool. My Palico is basically just one of my actual cats and I've tooled her up, too, with that rabbit feather skull and a nice little shooter.

It's so much more appealing to me than Generations, not just because of the visuals and controls. The open map is much more impressive than I expected with so many little paths and routes and sliding, swinging, jumping, tightrope walking sections to traverse the areas. The gathering and tracking and basically everything which required a bit of repetitive fiddling has been streamlined so the vast majority of your time in game is spent exploring and fighting. I thought the scout flies would ruin it but they've just oiled the wheel to maintain momentum on the most enjoyable aspects of the game.

As expected, it's so beautiful and charming, with a very alluring hub area and fantastic jaunty soundtrack which makes you feel you're really about to embark on a grand adventure. Musically, it's possibly up there with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which is saying something, in creating an atmosphere and tone as cheerful and epic as anything I've heard this gen.

What a start to the year. 

Pukei-pukei down after a great fight involving a great jagras and whatever that t-rex thing is at intervals. Getting much better with the broadsword now but still much to learn in the heat of battle.

One odd thing happened though. I was playing offline as couldnt sign as per everyone else when during the hunt i saw a green exclamation mark moving in the caves ahead of me. Came across or it came to me, another palico with a jpn name. Something popped up about friends or something and It then proceeded to join in the hunt and fights. What's that all about then? I vaguely remember agreeing to join a guild when an offer popped up the other day so could it be related to that? And I thought i was offline.

I do love this fight. As I said earlier, took longer than I am used to, given they run more and my gear isn't great yet. You can see at the start of the vid that I'd already been fighting him a lot, as I'd smashed his head ridge off. I love the little steam train noise it makes as it charges! :D 

Towards the end, when it limps off and is almost dead, I get overly confident just as it wakes up from a nap and engages, whereby it's quicker, meaner and does more damage. Much like a souls boss, rather than attacking and going for the kill, over extending myself, I should have hung back and played defensively.  My hubris almost got me carted but, thankfully, the barroth switching to my cat allowed me to heal and then shortly afterwards,  a well time vaporwasp heal from my cat (which is rides over to me like a hand glider!) kept me up. 

Love this game. :wub:

It's taking me about 40-45 minutes to do each story quest on my first go. Is that normal-ish for a new player? I haven't died yet (just finished Baroth) but I'm worried I'm being too slow and I'll end up running out of time sooner or later. 

Also I'm far too old to be chuckling every time the characters refer to 'that massive slag' in conversation. 

Nah, if it's your first MH it'll take you ages to do each monster first time, most likely. You'll soon see that you've subconsciously improved, though. You'll fight Barroth again and remember that when it rears its head, it'll headbut the floor in front of it, or when it jumps back it's ready to charge, stuff like that. Visual clues you had no idea were there. I see them even on new monsters I've not fought before, such as the pukei-pukei, because you pick up on the game's mannerisms. 

Before you know it, you'll be steaming through fights like Barroth like they are nothing. 

7 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Woke up, bruised and battered, the morning sun beating down on me. As I was packing my stuff ready to set off from this accursed island, I spotted a note from my friend.

"I know you're thinking of giving up, and leaving the island (to go Street Fighting? er ... lol!), but before you do, give hunting one more shot, use a different weapon like the Katana."

Hmm, yeah, the hammer wasn't really doing it for me anyway. But I didn't really fancy the Katana. I really liked how that Iron Blade felt, so I grabbed that back out of the box - which is way too small to store such a weapon (magic?) - and then headed to the smithy. Let's see if I can get some better armour, I pondered. Hmm, this Bone armour looks like it could be decent, and it's definitely better than the leathers I've got on. Fully kitted out in bone armour, and a massive blade strapped to my back, off I went to the canteen and had the chef prepare me his best meal. Now I felt prepared for the task ahead, I was headed to the Wildspire Waste to defeat the Barroth.

A video I just watched was saying the sword & shield allows item usage without having to sheathe the weapon, and you can evade/block out of most of its attacks.  Only mentioning since you flagged both those points.

1 hour ago, Len said:

One odd thing happened though. I was playing offline as couldn't sign as per everyone else when during the hunt i saw a green exclamation mark moving in the caves ahead of me. Came across or it came to me, another palico with a jpn name. Something popped up about friends or something and It then proceeded to join in the hunt and fights. What's that all about then? I vaguely remember agreeing to join a guild when an offer popped up the other day so could it be related to that? And I thought i was offline.

Anyone know what this was all about or just a normal occurrence?

Here's my armchair game dev idea for how they could have avoided the scoutfly crap, which occurred to me as I was leaving camp in the game's fourth map and spotted a monster in the distance. I took out my binoculars and zoomed in to ogle it far in the distance, and wished I could mark/stamp it a la Breath of the Wild, and then find it myself using the map or my eventual memory of the environment, without a breadcrumb leading me there. If they could somehow design the map so you can see all the main zones from your starting point at camp, and let you do that, it could feel a lot more satisfying and less patronising than the perpetual green breadcrumb trail.