Monster Hunter: World

Yoshimax

21 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Apart from a sun bleached effect thats a matter of taste this game looks amazing. Besides the technical aspect its has some of the best monster design/animation and stunning looking zones i have ever seen in gaming, i just dont understand your thinking its so joyless.

Agreed, I think it's stunning. I guess it's because we're used to this:

461029-monster-hunter-4-ultimate.jpg.5a69eee0ce1f1db4f7d2263f65afe83b.jpg

And we're just gobsmacked by seeing monster Hunter on the big screen again. 

7 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

Look through every single Monster Hunter thread on this forum, there is always one of you who just doesn't get it, some stuck around and finally it clicks and quite often they then consider it to be one of the best games out there, others just disappear only to resurface when the next game comes out, moaning about potion drinking anims or clunky combat, someone made this bingo sheet because of it...MH.thumb.png.5328ddbbc7db82f3a2b6fc66159157b2.png

I will be picking up the game on Monday, knowing full well that it probably isn't for me seeing as the series has always centred on features that I generally hate in games (looting, crafting, online multiplayer and grinding). I'll do my best to tick off all the boxes before selling it on ;)*

*as I know some people might believe that of me I should probably clarify: I won't actually do this

Soooooo even though I have enough things to do in life (guitar, wood work, gardening, cleaning out, decorating and DIY) I decided to buy it.

I actually think it looks really really good, but somehow unimpressive in a strange way.

I decided to go for the guns. You get various ammo which is pretty neat. Bullet grenades that stick or piercing ammo etc...

I find the controls a bit of a bummer. Using both sticks and both triggers at the same time is a bit much.

infact it can be almost painful sometimes.

I got online and me and my mate went off on the first mission I was able to set up. It took us 45 minutes to hunt this hairy dog lizard down and kill it. To be honest it was rather enjoyable.

I’m someone who really enjoyed Star Wars galaxies because of its player run economy and hunting. This reminds me of that in a way.

Controls and the cramped feeling of the environments are the bad points. I think I like it though and I think I could get really into it. That being said i’m Not sure I want too as i’ve Just seen how complex the upgrade system is. I’ll try to just play it in bits and pieces because life’s too short.

The hunt for the Pukei-Pukei turned into a Fatal Four Way as halfway through the fight a Great Jagras and a Anjanath got involved. 

They both made short work of the Jagras and after fighting amongst themselves for a bit the Anjanath turned its attention to me so that was my cue to run away and regroup.

This game is fucking amazing.

Bought it.

MUCH  better experience than the Beta - simply because of the on-boarding.

Read this first:  http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/01/26/tips-for-playing-monster-hunter-world

So I went with the dual blades - just unlocked the pukei-pukei mission.  Not attempted it yet as want to either forge a better weapon (maybe even switch to something else) and/or armour.

Great so far.

I think I'm getting into this, it is quite compelling and I have awesome looking bone armour on. I must say that the idea expressed in reviews that it's accessible for new players is laughable though. More so than the previous ones, no doubt, but I feel like I'm studying for a test trying to wrap my head around everything at times.

Still I am finding it enjoyable. While hunting the pukei pukei I fucking giant dragon thing attacked us both which was quite spectacular.

At the same time sometimes you just want to play Tekken. 

Anjanath is harsh in non-upgraded Bone Armour! I guess I should have done some of the grinding for a real set along the way. Thought I was going to get my first triple-cart, as I had literally used my last Mega Potion and was only saved at the end by a fortuitously timed Vigorwasp from Mad Nelly.

I swear, no other game series allows you to feel more exhilarated than when you beat a big bastard when you're both on your last legs. Tomorrow, I'll be joining online hunts and making every armour set available so far. (I only wish there was something as awesome as the Wroggi set from 3U...)

I'm still very early in the game, but I'm loving this. I tried to get into 4U back when the New 3DS came out, but ultimately find the controls too fiddly. A proper pad solves all that. :)

I went for a switch axe as my weapon, which had been upgraded a couple of times since. It's been serving me well so far.

On 26 January 2018 at 16:04, Len said:

Mine just arrived, 11am on the dot. Now must finish HZD before starting, I promised myself. :unsure:

edited: For Gavin.

:hat:

Damn, I am so tempted to pick this up today in Tesco or Argos for £44.

FOR

I have a DARK SOULS itch to scratch (killed Gael, Midir can do one <_<).

I'm looking for a brand new co-op experience but it's great to know there's a 40 hour single player campaign.

I've been curious about the franchise for years but never gave it a shot.

The gameplay loop of practise, die, learn, conquer, loot, craft, improve is highly appealing.

Early reviews and forum feedback are encouraging and the overall premise is intriguing.

The Wee Palico things look super cool. :wub:

AGAINST

Money is tight so I should wait till I finish Witcher 3 & Dishonoured 2 so can trade them in against it (very close to end of both).

Every mission being on a timer is a major worry as I like to take tea/beer/smoke breaks while gaming.

I imagine this will be near half price in CEX in a couple of months so should really wait.

I don't know if any of my regular co-op mates will get on board with this.

The green scoutfly things look WAY too intrusive. :wacko:

mmmmm... What to do... :(

5 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Anjanath is harsh in non-upgraded Bone Armour! I guess I should have done some of the grinding for a real set along the way. Thought I was going to get my first triple-cart, as I had literally used my last Mega Potion and was only saved at the end by a fortuitously timed Vigorwasp from Mad Nelly.

I swear, no other game series allows you to feel more exhilarated than when you beat a big bastard when you're both on your last legs. Tomorrow, I'll be joining online hunts and making every armour set available so far. (I only wish there was something as awesome as the Wroggi set from 3U...)

I think that this sums up the game more than anything for me. I pottered around for about 8 hours before even going for the Pukei-Pukei. Spent the day playing with Sie, just messing around. We geared up all day getting ready to take down Anjanath. Our first attempt was proper sloppy on my behalf. I ran down a tunnel and got melted, thought I was far enough away to swig a mega potion and he fucking leaped what felt like halfway across the map and I got carted. I was way more cautious after that. We got him down and decided to farm him a few times for the set and weapons for us both. Our second attempt felt smooth as fuck. He was limping away, I set up a trap. Sie waited as bait near the trap with tranq bombs and I ran up and shot him on the arse. Straight in to the trap. 8-) 

I was sitting with the biggest and goofiest grin on my face and said much the same above, the exhilaration when you struggle and struggle and learn and pull something off is just amazing. 

Just need four more fangs for the last piece and the blazing bow. I suspect I will faint on our first attempt because I feel super cocky now. 

Getting that "where has this been all my life" feeling with this game. Really ticks lots of gaming mechanics and experiences that I love.

A few people have mentioned being put off by the crafting but so far for me it's been very straightforward. After every quest I go to the workshop see if I can upgrade my weapon of choice to the next level, or make another. See what armour I can make or upgrade with the bits I've gathered. Go back out on a quest and repeat. There hasn't been any plans to learn it's all just laid out in front of you and you just naturally gather the bits in the early stages. I'm sure it will get more focused as I learn what I need (everything!) and it sounds like I should have upgraded the bone armour instead of the Jagras one but I look forward to sorting that out in my next session.

Getting fed up with this. Just checked again this morning, ‘no online sessions found’. Not once have I been able to play online with this game. Nat is open, all other games work. I’ve played plenty of Monster Hunter before and I want to play co-op online. My patience is wearing thin.

Edit: I see they’ve acknowledged the Xbox One version is broken. Still, not good enough. It’s like having half a game.

This is my first proper go at an MH too, and it's absolutely grabbed me. The intricacy of that first zone, with all the levels and secrets, the epic battles...

The setup of going off to do missions and returning to cash in and upgrade kinda reminds me of Destiny for some reason (but less shit).

Been teaming up with lots of random Japanese people, had no issues at all with the beasts so far. In fact, a few I have done multiple times just to craft all the gear. I currently look manga as fuck.

3 hours ago, Orko said:

Graphics comparison of Monster Hunter (2003) vs Monster Hunter World (2018) :lol:

I...actually think those PS2 visuals are pretty good. I quite like the clean simplicity of it compared to the quite-busy-at-times look of World.

22 hours ago, Orko said:

arbitrary time limits

This is to force you to play aggressively. You can't just hit a few times and run off, you have to get stuck in or you'll run out of time

On this note, are the hunts still 20 minutes like in the demo? I struggled with that. 

5 minutes ago, tnman said:

On this note, are the hunts still 20 minutes like in the demo? I struggled with that. 

50 minutes is the standard time limit. Usually tons of time once you get used to a monster. In my experience anyway, I've never reached G rank so I am probably talking shit.

14 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

Any idea how I see what materials I picked up? Like, where is my inventory? 

Also, how does armour upgrades work? I managed to accidently skip the tutorial - I seemed to just be able to upgrade the armour with 'z' 

Check your box in your house?

12 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

Any idea how I see what materials I picked up? Like, where is my inventory? 

Also, how does armour upgrades work? I managed to accidently skip the tutorial - I seemed to just be able to upgrade the armour with 'z' 

The quest rewards are automatically sent to your item box, unless you hit the "Sell all" button. Stuff you pick up during the missions is added to your pouch.

Armour requires an Armour Sphere to upgrade each piece, so 5 for a full set. This just adds to the DEF rating, at least to the armour I've made so far. It's always worth doing, because Armour Spheres seem to be a lot more plentiful than they were in previous games.

8 minutes ago, tnman said:

I only did the Anjanath urgent quest to take it to 4* last night, and up until then everything has had a 50 minute time-limit. Expeditions have none, but obviously there are no quest rewards so while they're worth doing for collectable resources, they're not really the best way to farm monster parts.

18 minutes ago, Adrock said:

50 minutes is the standard time limit. Usually tons of time once you get used to a monster. In my experience anyway, I've never reached G rank so I am probably talking shit.

Phew, that’s good.

I’ll continue to lurk this thread now, biding my time until I can get this and join in...

1 hour ago, Black Cat Supremacist said:

Getting fed up with this. Just checked again this morning, ‘no online sessions found’. Not once have I been able to play online with this game. Nat is open, all other games work. I’ve played plenty of Monster Hunter before and I want to play co-op online. My patience is wearing thin.

Edit: I see they’ve acknowledged the Xbox One version is broken. Still, not good enough. It’s like having half a game.

There’s a couple of us that met up and played together on Xbox last night - you basically need to be invited or join a friends game through the dash as matchmaking looks to be broken for now. 

Add me to your friends list and we might get some game time in mortis316uk