Monster Hunter: World

Yeah, this is janky as hell in places, but I’m completely hooked. My daughter was watching me play earlier and was asking why I was walking through that monster. :)

Pretty steep learning curve for a beginner, but it’ll come with time, I’m sure. For now, even mashing the atttack buttons seems to work well enough. 

How does this improve on the Wii U game? Because I hated:

- the arbitrary time limits

- the tediously long battles

- monsters running away and having to re-find them far away

- lack of feedback during battle

- not feeling powerful

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
6 hours ago, Curtis said:

Such negativity. :mellow:

Its the rllmuk way, some people just like to profusely moan about tiny little things ad nauseam. 

Thats not everyone though obviously just a few individuals, was nice to see the Monster Hunter initiated getting mega hyped. 

I’ve played through both MH4 and the Beta so certainly know what to expect and can’t wait to get stuck in. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Timmo said:

How does this improve on the Wii game? Because I hated:

- not feeling powerful

If you hated that you’ll hate this. Skip. 

• Upvote 4
5 hours ago, Curtis said:

Such negativity. :mellow:

Anyway i'm clearly in love with this game so i'll shut up. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game and its quirks.

Problem is, one of our friends was on the fence after the beta and this sort of thing could be a deal-breaker.

9 minutes ago, Timmo said:

- not feeling powerful

Dont bother.

28 minutes ago, Timmo said:

- not feeling powerful

Yeah, you won't like this, because all those things you mention, whilst completely inaccurate in every possibly way, would still annoy you about this one. 

- arbitrary time limits

This is to force you to play aggressively. You can't just hit a few times and run off, you have to get stuck in or you'll run out of time

- tediously long battles

Well...you're doing what is essentially a series of massive boss battles, so what did you want? To walk in, hit a dragon once and stroll off, whistling a little tune? Also, once you "git gud", those long battles aren't long at all. Most can be done sub five minutes. 

- monsters running away/lack of feedback

I mean...them running away is feedback. They're on the ropes and running off to recuperate. You want them to just stand around whilst you smash their face in? They'll run or fly off, eat other monsters to regain health, go to their lair and sleep to regain stamina, drool and slow down when they're tired, limp when they're hurt, you can cuts bits off them, scar them, hack them to bits, stun them, poison them, trip them, knock them over, put them to sleep, catch them in traps, but yeah, lack of feedback :lol:

- not feeling powerful

You clearly didn't play it that long. You're a human with no super power fighting massive dinosaurs and dragons. You don't level up, getting more strength or stamina or whatever.  The "power" comes from actually being good at the game, which you accomplish by playing it a lot. And through gear that boosts stats or whatever, which you also get by playing a lot. Eventually you feel so powerful that  you can kill the hardest bosses in the game without even  being hit. Again, what did you want? First fight in the game to be a rathalos which dies as soon as you walk into the area?

• Upvote 5

I ended after about 20 hours on some flying boss which I hit in the head about 60 times over 25 tedious minutes. I’d like a monster to not just be able to nonchalantly fly off to the other side of the map after I’ve stabbed it repeatedly and repeatly again in its stupid eyes. It was moderately enjoyable until then. 

I guess I like my action games a bit more immediate. 

Enjoy!

• Empathy 1

After trying MH many times, and really not getting it, I decided to give this one a go and I’m really enjoying it so far. It certainly feels less clunky than MH3, which helps a great deal. I’m actually really excited about going on some quests and killing some more monsters!

Is anyone playing this on xbox? is there an xbox squad?

I'm finding coop incredibly frustrating, matchmaking never finds anything, find a session does nothing, flares don't lead to anyone joining. The Gathering is always empty

I'm probably overlooking something really obvious...

400+ hours of muscle memory is a funny old thing.

There are some changes I don't yet have a handle on which are probably much better to any new player. It feels very... fluid as a game, which in turn ends up feeling a little imprecise. There are a lot of physics I'm not used to!

I had to turn off that radial quick-menu straight away because I kept trying to keep stuff in view with the right stick and ended up using a whetstone at most inopportune moment. And I do miss having it on a handheld as I watched TV and wished I could be doing some small hunts or going for materials.

But stuff like research showing you where weak spots are and which weapons are best? Bounties that can be stacked and achieved on regular hunts? The felyne infinite mining tool? Removing the need to look up on a website where to get stuff? Getting materials back when you go down a different upgrade path? Armour sets being grouped together and showing what you already have? I love all of that. One of the most important things to me as a player these days is that everything I do should be achieving something, no matter how small, and this absolutely does that in spades.

And the wishlist. Oh man, the wishlist. Maybe the single best QoL improvement a game has ever made.

• Upvote 3

Agree with those sentiments. The wishlist makes those upgrade trees so straightforward now.

Ive carted now cos of a bloody insect. Not a dragon or a giant bird. A tiny insect on an investigation. How's about that for muscle memory. 

It's feeling much easier than previous games though. So that's either cos I got good on the 3ds or they have balanced it to favour newcomers. 

1 hour ago, Larsen B said:

But stuff like... ~ I love all of that.

And the wishlist. Oh man, the wishlist. Maybe the single best QoL improvement a game has ever made.

As a newcomer, knowing these are all QoL additions will make me appreciate them more, instead of taking them for granted.

Also, @cassidy is "carted" the lingo for fainted/died then?

31 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

As a newcomer, knowing these are all QoL additions will make me appreciate them more, instead of taking them for granted.

Also, @cassidy is "carted" the lingo for fainted/died then?

Your body is returned on a little wooden cart..

2 hours ago, droodling said:

I'll add you when I'm next on, hopefully we can get something sorted!

Well that was pretty fun with 2 on a hunt - still don’t have a clue what I’m doing bar flying in and doing my best impression of Drax with the twin blades. 

So finally managed a few hours last night and did the initial quests and opened it all up. Finished by coming across that dopey Kulu-Ya-Ka  and having a hilarious long running battle with it. I'm using the broadsword and forever kept putting it away mid-fight/slash to the point of really annoying me and much swearing. Think it might be the muscle memory from HZD doing me in whilst panicking. Anyway, sure I will get used to it but might switch to something else. Also got my fancy free armour (once I'd bloody found it), ooooh. :) 

I'd be lying (cat?) if I said i wasn't totally overwhelmed by all the menus and systems but think being very tired didn't help at all and was expected to be honest. Absolutely loving it though and can't wait to get stuck back in and play some co-op. Do we have an rllmuk group or guild is it, sure someone mentioned setting one up?