Monster Hunter: World

It's just the first of no doubt many posts we'll get, same as we always do for new monster Hunter games: "it's so slow", "it's so clunky", "why can't I see health bars?", "When does it get good?", "it's just a button masher" and then those who deserve to make it reach an epiphany and become converts, just like the rest of us and those who don't will slink off, wondering what all the fuss is about. Same as it ever was. 

1 minute ago, Orko said:

It's just the first of no doubt many posts we'll get, same as we always do for new monster Hunter games: "it's so slow", "it's so clunky", "why can't I see health bars?", "When does it get good?", "it's just a button masher" and then those who deserve to make it reach an epiphany and become converts, just like the rest of us and those who don't will slink off, wondering what all the fuss is about. Same as it ever was. 

I’m presuming your tongues firmly in your cheek. This is a game, right?

crazy! i saw the sub 3 min run this morning but thats just insane.

If its the same guy it apparently took 6 hours of trying to get that allset up properly.

Not sure about those firepods i dont want multiplayer to descend into chain trapping monsters over fire.

13 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

I’m presuming your tongues firmly in your cheek. This is a game, right?

Oh, are those of us who like the series not allowed to be passionate about it? Not allowed to get a bit frustrated with people constantly coming into the game threads when a new one is released and telling us the series is rubbish and they don't see the appeal because they've given it ten minutes, played it as a button masher and it didn't offer instant gratification? Because it happens every. Single. Time. 

If you don't like it, you don't like it. That's fine. I don't like Street fighter any more, but I wouldn't go into the Street fighter V thread and go "well, I just spammed attacks against the opponent and don't see the appeal", because I know and recognise and respect there is a lot of nuance and skill to the game that I don't have. 

Monster Hunter is a game based on skill, patience and practice. Sure, you can probably charge in to early monsters, whale away at them for a bit and then wonder what the fuss is about, but I guarantee that will not work against the later, tougher monsters. At all. They will cart you quicker than you can say "why don't they have health bars?". 

23 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

Never mind

I guess if you'd started your post with "I think I encountered some bugs, can I just check" rather than "I don't understand the interest", this might have gone differently! But yes, my post was harsh, so I apologise. 

But look, MH is a cracking series. But it's never really taken off in the west - this is the first in the series where they've made a lot of concessions to cater to a wider audience (little things like being able to move whilst drinking potions, to big things like damage numbers and...*shudder* health bars), so a lot of us long-term fans are a bit nervous to see just how far they've changed things. These demos were good for us as they helped show it's not completely different to what we know and love. I would also say that MH demos are usually a bit shit. 

Fair point. I have no knowledge of the games and as such didn't appreciate the lack of understanding/ appreciation was an old problem. I thought my question was balanced but I can see how it could have been seen as a dig. It really wasn't intended to be. 

2 minutes ago, Wallace said:

@JPL There is. I don't know what the details of the X version is on top of HDR (I assume the S version will also have HDR) but it is showing as Enhanced on the store.

2018-01-20.thumb.png.0e34028bb5057fac5e6e56c7d5cd9793.png

Good stuff. It looks lovely from what I’ve seen of the PS4 version, so any improvements on X will be great. It’s my first one and I’m really looking forward to it, so I hope I get it.

Blimey, that new boss does not play around. Truth be told, I have yet to try it solo and my multiplayer attempts accumulated to the square root of whale-away.

Question: I noticed the new boss can be target locked at two spots, are both his weak points? Does he have any at all? Or is the head as per usual?

I hope I do, too :) I looks lovely and some of the clips/gifs being shared from the beta are incredible.

My worry is not being able to keep at it enough to git gud and it being confined to the pile of shame. We will see, I suppose!

Honestly, you guys have a responsibility now to get into this game, otherwise all the watering down Capcom has done to get you on board (apparently including target-locking specific parts of monsters now? I have no words :() will have been for nothing.

Woah, how the hell is anyone proclaiming Nergigante easier than Rathalos? Or is it just that I know pretty much instinctively how to best Rath by this point, whereas this new one seems to just slap me all over the place with unexpected secondary hits in his attacks? Not sure I'm going to be able to solo this guy, anybody know if I need to beat it for an additional reward like with the other 3 or not?

2 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Honestly, you guys have a responsibility now to get into this game, otherwise all the watering down Capcom has done to get you on board (apparently including target-locking specific parts of monsters now? I have no words :() will have been for nothing.

It would have been nice to have the beta on Xbox as well so I'd be able to at least try it and give feedback. At this point I'm just not sure about it. 

I don't really know which way it'll go. I like a challenge in my games and I find target locking to be one of the most boring mechanics in gaming, that's the kind of thing that puts me to sleep. 

There's always the refund option if I can see that its not for me, but I really hope I like it as I love the idea and it looks absolutely stunning in places. 

I can kill him with the Lance and Switch axe fairly easily now, however with the Charge Blade I just cannot kill him, I get him limping but cant land the final blow, I spend most of the fight trying to charge up the shield then sword, then messing up and doing that again and again.

He's a glass cannon, get lucky and avoid that fly up into the air insta kill move, use the para toads to stun him and use a weapon with little wind up and you'll get him.

2 minutes ago, Wallace said:

I don't really know which way it'll go. I like a challenge in my games and I find target locking to be one of the most boring mechanics in gaming, that's the kind of thing that puts me to sleep. 

There is no lock-on so just get it.

40 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

There is no lock-on so just get it.

Can you explain what it is, then? (Not being antagonistic here - legitimately unsure myself). I remember the 3DS introducing a targeting feature due to the lack of a second stick and it appears to have remained ever since. There appeared to be three targeting options in the MH5 beta. What's the difference between Monster Hunter's targeting and, say, Dark Souls? It just aims the camera in the general direction but doesn't automatically direct your weapon to the red target? And that's the case for all three options? I mean, if it doesn't make the combat more manageable for certain players, what's the point of its inclusion?

Actually, I should log in now and try it myself.