rllmuk
Yoshimax

Monster Hunter: World

Rajang is a pretty awesome fight, I had to change to GreatSword and snipe him as I couldn't get charge blade or longsword meters up with all his jumping around. 

Looks like they had great fun doing all his turf war animations, the King Kong move he does on Jho is super cool as is the little tired out lean on the wall he does sometimes.

53 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Rajang is a pretty awesome fight, I had to change to GreatSword and snipe him as I couldn't get charge blade or longsword meters up with all his jumping around. 

Looks like they had great fun doing all his turf war animations, the King Kong move he does on Jho is super cool as is the little tired out lean on the wall he does sometimes.

I love fighting him, probably my fave, kind of like a Nargacuda or Odo on steroids.
I think you may be right there @Mafro but he does have a lot of lovely little unique expressive animations, I just love how his face portrays so much.
I saw a Velkhana Rajang turf war earlier that was just epic.
So ridiculously in love with this game, I've totally ignored the rake of amazing releases lately, I just don't want to play anything else really right now.

so onto something a bit spoilery.

Spoiler

Has anyone got any tips for levlling up Guiding Lands? I am ping ponging all over the place.
Are you sticking to one area? farming tracks? just fighting everything?
I'm getting nowhere fast.

Did you try them yesterday Mecha? The patch made what you mention in the spoiler a lot easier to level.

I think... 

Spoiler

... going from 1-6 is as fast as 1-3 was before the patch. Just pick up tacks, mine and gather stuff, and trap the monsters.

2 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Did you try them yesterday Mecha? The patch made what you mention in the spoiler a lot easier to level.

I think... 

Hide contents

... going from 1-6 is as fast as 1-3 was before the patch. Just pick up tacks, mine and gather stuff, and trap the monsters.

no I only had time to hunt Rajang a few times (joined SOS's), that is most welcome news! 
guess I'll try just focusing on one area for a while then as I keep

Spoiler

de-levelling the others while I'm bumbling about

I'm once again fully in love with Hunting Horn I'm sure you'll be happy to hear :) 

Gunlance was my main in MH3U until I discovered the Great Sword and then the Hunting. Need to go back to it.

Never really used the bow guns. Might have to watch some tutorials for those.

Anyone tried, or planning to try the RE/Horizon crossover? I'll be pootling about most of the weekend. Currently on the oh so slow grind to MR69 :/

Also, new Monster announcement for a December update coming soon. 

2 hours ago, Danno said:

Anyone tried, or planning to try the RE/Horizon crossover? I'll be pootling about most of the weekend. Currently on the oh so slow grind to MR69 :/

Also, new Monster announcement for a December update coming soon. 

I've done them, the Bioweapon event is ace fun (also the Teostra Hunting Horn makes it ridiculously easy)
Going to buy the Mr X Handler outfit ;p

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

The mounts in Iceborne are a wonderful addition. Sharpen your weapon while traveling to a monster = love.

Also the insta summon help with the signal is superb, brilliant for soloing and raising tailrider factions.

pssst Palico rally is REALLY good with it :)

• Upvote 1

I can't do Blackveil Vaal Hazak! It's not really his moves, it's the environmental damage that destroys me every time. I got so frustrated during my last attempt that I broke my rule and went back to camp to restock on potions mid-hunt. And even then I couldn't do it. Third cart happened at about 48 minutes.

I don't really understand the effluvium skills either. I purposefully crafted anti-effluvium armour for the high rank Vaal Hazak ages ago and it didn't seem to help at all - my health would still get chopped in half within seconds of the smokey/ashy crap contaminating me, when the skill was supposed to prevent buildup completely. So I just gave up on the idea.

It's pretty tough not knowing each monster's elemental weakness until you defeat them too. I'm bringing a blast weapon for this fight but have no idea if it's even that effective. (I don't want to know Blackveil's weakness by the way, as the game doesn't want me to know it at this stage either.)

All the same, it continues to be awesome that Monster Hunter is fucking tough again!

4 hours ago, ann coulter said:

I can't do Blackveil Vaal Hazak! It's not really his moves, it's the environmental damage that destroys me every time. I got so frustrated during my last attempt that I broke my rule and went back to camp to restock on potions mid-hunt. And even then I couldn't do it. Third cart happened at about 48 minutes.

I don't really understand the effluvium skills either. I purposefully crafted anti-effluvium armour for the high rank Vaal Hazak ages ago and it didn't seem to help at all - my health would still get chopped in half within seconds of the smokey/ashy crap contaminating me, when the skill was supposed to prevent buildup completely. So I just gave up on the idea.

It's pretty tough not knowing each monster's elemental weakness until you defeat them too. I'm bringing a blast weapon for this fight but have no idea if it's even that effective. (I don't want to know Blackveil's weakness by the way, as the game doesn't want me to know it at this stage either.)

All the same, it continues to be awesome that Monster Hunter is fucking tough again!

I'll spoiler just in case you don't already know 

Spoiler

Effluvia resist 3 and simply hit all the puffy bits on him, they constantly regrow so keep up with that. 

I just use raw, I never bother with elemental damage at all, I've done all the quests, optionals, events etc, never needed it once. This makes me sad, I still think you should NEED to use elemental, it helps if you do vs weak to element weak monsters but its absolutely not needed at any point.

Edit: Teostra horn also makes this fight very easy, he can't cut your health down when you have the songs up.

You're using Nulberries as well, right?

Also, not really done many events on PS4 since I started playing on PC. Want Iceborne to be as fresh as possible... despite, y'know, having already finished it. Just taking a break so that I'm not burned out on it by the time it arrives.

55 minutes ago, Parappa said:

PS4 Version is £12.99 in the Black Friday sale - assume it is worth that?

Absolutely, there’s 100s of hours of stuff to do.

you do need the base game if you want iceborne which adds some fantastic stuff 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

I'll spoiler just in case you don't already know 

Hide contents

Effluvia resist 3 and simply hit all the puffy bits on him, they constantly regrow so keep up with that. 

I just use raw, I never bother with elemental damage at all, I've done all the quests, optionals, events etc, never needed it once. This makes me sad, I still think you should NEED to use elemental, it helps if you do vs weak to element weak monsters but its absolutely not needed at any point.

Edit: Teostra horn also makes this fight very easy, he can't cut your health down when you have the songs up.

Yeah, I already tried using girros armour which has the level 3 effluvia resist skill and is supposed to prevent effluvial buildup. I remember it not preventing effluvial buildup, or, at least, my health would still get cut in half, which isn't the meaning I take from 'prevent'.

I can't find a Teostra horn, by the way. There's a Lunastra one but the songs don't look particularly useful.

All of this is moot now anyway because I joined another player's Blackveil mission to get some practice and once we'd slayed him together I got a cutscene progressing the game. So it seems in Monster Hunter World you don't have to be the quest setter in order to progress your rank. You can join someone's hunt half an hour after it started, chill out in camp until they finish the quest, and the game treats you as having beat the quest. Scratch what I said earlier about Monster Hunter being challenging again.

I wonder how many of the millions of new players have finished the game with a completely mistaken impression of how the game traditionally works. Without any kind of forced single player aspect, and with the ability to join other people's quests halfway through in order to progess your own game, I can imagine a lot of people hunting each monster just a handful of times - maybe even just once - in the same way they'd play an action adventure game where a boss is a one-time event, there only for brief spectacle rather than mastery, before moving on immediately with the story. Compared to the much worse selling older games, I'm noticing no particular boost to how busy online lobbies are in World - for all these 14 million players, it seems extremely quiet indeed.

It usually doesn’t give you credit or rewards if you jump in after 10 minutes.

also a good host usually kicks any afk players.

lobbies are really weird in ice borne, mainly as people are doing “post campaign stuff” which I won’t discuss, but yes lobby numbers have been super low,  I tend to just matchmake session Which just drops me in with 1-2 people who I never see or interact with. 
I almost always join eastern sos hunts, the ones with kanji names almost always are awesome,  bring  the right gear and consumables (like flinch free deco, lifepowders etc) so set your region to any! 
ive never had any problem finding players, but as I said before a lot of people are no longer looking at the investigations and optional quests as there is other stuff later on to do

9 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Quick question: how's the single player mode in this? Compared to, say, MHU4, which had a pretty interesting single-player game.

there isn’t a split between single and multiplayer like in the old games, there is a story like in 4 but it’s complete hokum, it carries you through the game tho and is kinda fun, but hey who plays MH for the story, the hunts are top notch and now the monsters fight each other like something out of King Kong. 

• Upvote 3

Sorry if this is a silly question but I'm thinking of buying Monster Hunter World Iceborne Master Edition and want to know if this is the full game and the add on? Or is this just the add on and I will still need to buy the base game? 

Thanks 

39 minutes ago, Jonnycash said:

Sorry if this is a silly question but I'm thinking of buying Monster Hunter World Iceborne Master Edition and want to know if this is the full game and the add on? Or is this just the add on and I will still need to buy the base game? 

Thanks 

Pretty sure the master edition is the base game plus Iceborne. You have a lot of awesome gaming ahead <3

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jonnycash said:

Thanks 

It is.

Bought it a few days ago. The sweet steelbook edition. The main game is also included.

D-AGs_wXoAAT31W?format=jpg&name=large

• Upvote 2

Not very impressed with what I assume is Iceborne endgame stuff.

Spoiler

Almost identical to the end of vanilla World. Elder dragons, elder dragons, elder dragons. Big build up complete with exciting cutscene to brand new area which turns out to be a single room. The dragon being covered in rock that you have to hack away at to reveal its true form was a really fun idea, but I think it would've been even cooler if it had been revealed to be a familiar monster, like ... you hack all the rock off it and it turns out to be fucking Alatreon. Or Lagiacrus - holy shit. I don't even know what this thing is called yet because I didn't manage to kill it first time.

Is there much more game to go after this?