rllmuk
Yoshimax

Monster Hunter: World

@CheekyLee

It really is wonderful to have a bunch of new monsters and having the old ones feel new again.

You should be able to make at least one piece after each battle and then start throwing all your old outfits away.

@CheekyLee You can very easily make a starter MR set at the beginning without even fighting a monster.
You can "Return from quest" straight away, then you can take on one of the optional quests (At Master Rank level) and go run round mining/gathering/bonepiles etc in the old regions.
Also its a good thing to stop by Rotten vale (again must be at MR level) and kill a pile of honetaurs (in the grotty bones/tar area where Radobaan stops off) use poison smoke bombs or specimin talents on your armor so you can loot them.
With that done you can craft a pretty decent set of Bone/Hornetar/metal MR armor that will be MILES better than literally anything in HR - even top end gamma sets I found personally but I'm sure some aths expert will prove me wrong ;p.
I am still using the same set I made day one (although it's been upgraded quite a bit now) so don't worry.
Get a MR weapon asap, honestly the difference is staggering and fights go way way quicker. Again I'm just using the same Elementless Jagras hacker I built early on, it's totally fine still (I have upgraded once after Barioth mind you)

Some unfortunate min-maxing hunters are going to lose hundreds of hours of their lives to the new decorations with multiple skills, grinding the RNG for just-so skill combinations to perfect their sets. At least with previous games you only had one talisman/charm you needed to get lucky with!

Also, why is it not January yet? :(

WARNING SPOILERS IN VIDEO.

I'm fairly near the end of the campaign now and I have to say this nails my single complaint spot on, some of the weapon designs are absolutely bloody awful, extraordinarily lazy, especially when you look back on previous entries magnificent gear.

• Upvote 1

Think it's made worse by the fact that they went ahead and made some of the cool weapons but skipped others and for the same monster. 

I am currently at...

Spoiler

Puffball Vaal Hazak! Tho people keep dieing at him so not completed the quest yet. Also farming Velkhana for the set, just because really.

16 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Think it's made worse by the fact that they went ahead and made some of the cool weapons but skipped others and for the same monster. 

I am currently at...

Hide contents

Puffball Vaal Hazak! Tho people keep dieing at him so not completed the quest yet. Also farming Velkhana for the set, just because really.

I'm at 

Spoiler

ABSOLUTE BAST*RDGEUSE

I've only upgraded to the Acidic Glavenus Greatsword (which is pretty much just a bone sword dammit), literally everything else is still my day one set ;p I really should start making something else. I also appear to still be wearing a HR Damascus chest piece, need those slots! 
What really annoys me is the Palico Glavenus sword looks so awesome! 

3 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

I am currently at...

Reveal hidden contents

re: Spoilery bit

Spoiler

Just killed Bazel so up to Elder dragons. Just looking at that Velkhana armor now I can make it, sounds superb for a crit draw old school GS build! 

5 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

WARNING SPOILERS IN VIDEO.

I'm fairly near the end of the campaign now and I have to say this nails my single complaint spot on, some of the weapon designs are absolutely bloody awful, extraordinarily lazy, especially when you look back on previous entries magnificent gear.

Yeah this was one of the main problems I had with the base game as well. Weapons and armour look nowhere near as good, expressive or colourful than the previous games. 

Post credits now, game keeps on giving.

Really is the complete package now, can't quite believe what I am playing sometimes and cannot think of how they could make this any more perfect for me apart from add in all the old Monsters.

• Upvote 2

There's only one monster I really want to come back - Qurupeco. That's the one that tipped me over the edge from "Great game" to "Something special" when it summoned Rathian and made me near shit myself.

I rarely complete games, tending to move on to the next Zeitgeist title while halfway through. I usually get to 90% or so in MH, but Iceborne made me push across the line. And now, I'm so glad, because last night I finally soloed Deviljho for the first time ever. I've been close, usually getting it to limp off when it appears in another monster's fight, but I just put myself to the task with "The food chain dominator", and didn't even cart once. Even though it's not technically Iceborne, I wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't looking for MR versions of existing things.

Game of the year, easily!

• Upvote 1

Credits rolled, onto the never ending quest for all the things. That was awesome.

Spoiler

That last encounter was truly epic, from the return of Nergi to the absolute batshit end fight, loved it.
Also great to see everyone getting arseholed at the end as usual :lol:

Where is everyone now? And shame on this forum for not talking about this game more, I guess it's still niche on here.

I am pretty much at endgame grinding out the last few monsters. I'd say the expansion is not quite as big as the base game, more like another 3rd on top. I've been playing Hunting Horn an awful lot, it's so good now.

Current obsessions, catching a Gold Crown Augurfly (ffs I've been trying for days, having a way harder time than I did catching the dapper whotsit), Hunting Treasures (done ten in Rotten vale and Ancient Forest).
At MR 51ish I think, decent kit but taking time off on other activities, not actually killed anything for days too busy! 
Photography is harder than I imagined too :)

I've only used Greatsword the entire time in MR apart from a dalliance with Gunlance for a particullarly stubborn old familiar mounldy face...., playing through the Xbox version campaign got me totally addicted to massive CHOP power.

On 24/09/2019 at 12:23, Melon_Bread said:

Where is everyone now? And shame on this forum for not talking about this game more, I guess it's still niche on here.

To be fair, this has been just about the most ridiculous month in the entire history of videogames, and there's no shame in having had your head turned during it!

I'll get back on board and do my bit shortly.

21 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Why is this so dead online? Lobbies of one, no quests posted, no-one answering SOS flares. :( 

Ah this is a shame. I was going to head back into the base game this week (got about 40 hours in, can't quite remember where I was in the story, think I

Spoiler

Had done the encounter with the Elder Dragon, gone to the Coral Wastelands and the poison area and hunted the rolling scaly monster and the floating puffed up bat thing.  

Was hoping Iceborne had meant the game was active and busy again, and I could grind stuff with the help of others. 

1 hour ago, Parksey said:

Ah this is a shame. I was going to head back into the base game this week (got about 40 hours in, can't quite remember where I was in the story, think I

Reveal hidden contents

Had done the encounter with the Elder Dragon, gone to the Coral Wastelands and the poison area and hunted the rolling scaly monster and the floating puffed up bat thing.  

Was hoping Iceborne had meant the game was active and busy again, and I could grind stuff with the help of others. 

I’ve figured out you can get around it by searching for the quest/monster you want. Lots of stuff comes up if you’re specific. :) 

1 hour ago, Parksey said:

It's fine, not had any problems finding people to play with.

Just hit...

Spoiler

Gold Rathian

Really fun fight.

Back off holiday and back into this. ^_^

Did a few mining laps around Wildspire to get my MR Iron LS and Armour set. The damage increase isn't as high as i was expecting. :unsure: I was only just HR100 with bog-standard HR gear. I'm sure the defence upgrade will be noticable, i just expected a hefty increase in attack. Maybe with Longsword the increase is the extended white sharpness? I dunno...yet.

Anyway, looking forward to slashing up the place later (solo only while i see all the new stuff). 

17 hours ago, Curtis said:

Back off holiday and back into this. ^_^

Did a few mining laps around Wildspire to get my MR Iron LS and Armour set. The damage increase isn't as high as i was expecting. :unsure: I was only just HR100 with bog-standard HR gear. I'm sure the defence upgrade will be noticable, i just expected a hefty increase in attack. Maybe with Longsword the increase is the extended white sharpness? I dunno...yet.

Anyway, looking forward to slashing up the place later (solo only while i see all the new stuff). 

Sharpness gives you a damage multiplier, so Purple-White etc give you quite the boost.
MR weapons hit like a train compared to MR, go back and hit something in LR if you want a laugh. I needed to raise my unity with the bugtrappers and did some LR explorations, I literally two shot Great Jagras with a clutch claw -> True charged slash on greatsword ;p

Of course they put a Kirin fight as one of the quest steps to actually fighting Rajang. Completely avoided that one since that HR49 Tempered Kirin fight, worst one in the entire series.

16 minutes ago, Mafro said:

Of course they put a Kirin fight as one of the quest steps to actually fighting Rajang. Completely avoided that one since that HR49 Tempered Kirin fight, worst one in the entire series.

This one is pretty easy with lowish health, especially if you have a Teostra Hunting Horn user with you *wink wink* :) certainly much easier than a tempered or AT Kirin I found.
You can also clutch claw it and make areas vunerable which you couldnt back then.