rllmuk
Yoshimax

Monster Hunter: World

@yakumo Honestly, the co-op is dumb in a lot of ways first time through - assuming they never fixed it, anyway. The main problem is that you can’t be in a party and watch cutscenes, so you have to have watched any story bits before inviting a friend on a hunt. They’re in-mission too, so you can’t just watch everything in the hub / lobby then invite them when transferring to the map.

it’s fine for inviting randoms via sos or once you’ve both seen a given section (monster introduction scene, etc) but it’s really inelegant for new co-oping players. I can only hope iceborne is less silly about allowing players to experience things together for the first time.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

@yakumo Honestly, the co-op is dumb in a lot of ways first time through - assuming they never fixed it, anyway. The main problem is that you can’t be in a party and watch cutscenes, so you have to have watched any story bits before inviting a friend on a hunt. They’re in-mission too, so you can’t just watch everything in the hub / lobby then invite them when transferring to the map.

it’s fine for inviting randoms via sos or once you’ve both seen a given section (monster introduction scene, etc) but it’s really inelegant for new co-oping players. I can only hope iceborne is less silly about allowing players to experience things together for the first time.

That does sound disappointing. I was hoping to play the game from the beginning co-op with my friend like the old psp days. However, can anyone else chime in if there's been any changes?.

I've got to the bit after Negrigante where you have to search for clues in 3 areas. I've done one but it's a rear fucking grind.

Just seen a few new monsters though. I'm 84 hours in and still nowhere near the end am I?

There aren't many story missions left as such and they become few and far between. The game becomes much more of a grind which you now play solely because you enjoy playing and to slowly work on your build.

On 25/08/2019 at 12:19, yakumo said:

That does sound disappointing. I was hoping to play the game from the beginning co-op with my friend like the old psp days. However, can anyone else chime in if there's been any changes?.

Iceborne completely changes this, however the original campaign will still be the same.

Both of you start the hunt separately, watch the cutscenes, and then one person quits their hunt and joins the other once all of the cutscenes are over.
When the hunt is successfully completed, it clears for both of you. You only need to go through this cutscene song and dance once, and it's only for story missions.

Best thing to do is create a session and lock it to friends/squad  then it becomes obvious when you post missions.

Since platinuming this on ps4 I've played through the campaign on PC and now I'm going through on xbox (almost finished making a nergi set of armor and just using greatsword), hopeless addict ;p

3 hours ago, Timmo said:

There aren't many story missions left as such and they become few and far between. The game becomes much more of a grind which you now play solely because you enjoy playing and to slowly work on your build.

Currently I'm playig to power up and finish the stroy, to get ready for the expansion. A real grind.

I look forward to playing for fun, working on builds and specific gear and decorations, and even doing some fishing, which I haven't even looked at yet.

Also, it's the loneliest game compared to the 3DS versions. I really hope they fix the hub. I'd love to chat and look at other people's gear, have an arm wrestle. Too busy fighting to do that now, then everyone disbands at the end so you never see them again.

2 hours ago, Purin said:

Also, it's the loneliest game compared to the 3DS versions. I really hope they fix the hub. I'd love to chat and look at other people's gear, have an arm wrestle. Too busy fighting to do that now, then everyone disbands at the end so you never see them again.

That is in Iceborne, shared hub :)

• Upvote 1

I presume we've all seen the new trailer by now? No? Ah, in that case ... here you go!

So that's the zappy puppy as well as the big bad boomer. They just need to add Gore Magala and that'll be everything that ever walled me in the one game. 

• Upvote 2

I am at full mast :sealclap:

For players that aren't getting Iceborne, you can still get that set of "Guardian" armor mentioned at the end on Sept 4th. It's jam-packed with great defensive skills.

Go to your room and talk to the housekeeper
Select "Claim Add-On & Bonuses" then "Armor Set: Guardian"

New characters will also be able to select the Guardian alpha set to begin the game with, which is pretty nice!

• Upvote 1

My replay of the Xbox version has  been really fun, the very embodiment of playing for  the fun of it. 

I've been just using greatsword as I barely used it previously on my ps4 playthroughs, up to ED's and have literally only just upgraded from low rank gear! Amazing really how knowledge really is king in this and knowing lots of tricks, what to use in my kitbag and item wheel setup etc really has had me storming through, I needed the practise! 

I am absolutely frothing at the mouth excited about Iceborne, can't wait to get completely lost in this game and adventure into the unknown again.

• Upvote 1

I think I asked this before but I still feel like I must be missing something. Monster Hunter World is £39.99. The Iceborne DLC is ... £34.99? I thought the idea of making G rank a DLC download was so you didn't have to buy the whole game again, but when the DLC is priced almost as highly as the actual game ... what's the difference? (Other than £5.)

Am I really about to pay £35 for DLC? I barely pay that for whole games these days. :blink:

The Master Edition with MHW and Iceborne on one disc is 40 quid, which is handy since I sold my disc ages ago and means I'm sort of paying £25-30 for the dlc.

Also its roughly in line with large expansions for Destiny, ESO, FF14, etc. and could probably be seen as paying for a new season of updates given how much free dlc there was for the original.

It'll be worth it.

• Upvote 1

Argh, I keep changing my mind over and over about whether I should get it. I've been having an absolute blast with MHGU lately (Valstrax is better than any new monster in World - fight me) and it's been a bit of a slog trying to re-acquaint myself with vanilla World tonight. Even just in relation to DLC delivery, the mention of Monster Hunter in the same sentence as Destiny, ESO and FF14 makes me want to ram my fingers down my throat.

Ok. Fuck it. But if I chuck £35 at this and then people continue to play online using the goddamn SOS flare instead of teaming up properly at the gathering hub, I'm going to blame you, rllmuk. You!

Talking about teaming up at the hub, I rarely see it happen on PS4 apart from dedicated sessions (e.g. Behemoth or Kulve etc), even less using voice coms, however on Xbox my experience has been totally different, there are much fewer sessions but so much more voice and text chat.
I'm still not sure how Squads and sessions are changed in IB but I guess we will soon find out.

Saying that, I think we have enough players on here now to justify a new Squad, unless someone is part of a decent sized Squad already and could invite us all?

18 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I pre-ordered it on PSN this morning but nothing downloaded. Is there no preload for this?

Pretty sure mine's downloaded fine. You got enough storage / turned on pre-downloads?

Mine has downloaded and patched (ps4) but won't unlock until midnight.

There's a fair few changes with the patch already though, like layered moving to the smithy, item loadouts offering you a choice of action wheel etc
Also you can now change your makeup to luminescent, so I became venom to prowl round my house and scare the pets....
4mz27tB.png

Also which should make squads a little friendlier, I just checked the Squad person in the Gathering Hub, Squad leaders can now finally designate Sub-Leaders \o/ and send Squad cards (these go to everyone in the session)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, tyagi said:

My PS4 appears to be downloading 35GB of Iceborne. I don't recall buying it.

My Xbox version (no IB) did the same. Bit of a pain in the ass when you have two PS4s and Two Xboxes in the house! 
I could understand if it needed the items and outfits to show you other players but that is one huge load of downloads if you haven't bought it!

Oh, maybe it automatically updated before I bought it then? Confusing. Is there any way of finding out for sure? Would suck for midnight to arrive only to realise I have a 35GB patch to download.

34 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Oh, maybe it automatically updated before I bought it then? Confusing. Is there any way of finding out for sure? Would suck for midnight to arrive only to realise I have a 35GB patch to download.

Hit options on your game icon, then 'check for update' or something to that effect. It'll either start downloading, or tell you that you have the latest version.

• Upvote 1