Beyond Good & Evil 2

58 minutes ago, Smitty said:

Why does this need to space-scale open-world game? Weren't we all expecting something a little simpler?

The entire dream for this sequel was to go huge scale, Ancel himself has stated his disappointment with the scale of the original game and just how much they had to cut out of it.

The sequel/prequel is perfectly modern Ubisoft, shared world and online enabled, be playing it for years to come, it's obvious to see why they would be willing to throw multiple development studios at it as it fits right into their preferred direction. The technology is now in place, they just need to fill the solar system with content for launch.

24 minutes ago, mushashi said:

The entire dream for this sequel was to go huge scale, Ancel himself has stated his disappointment with the scale of the original game and just how much they had to cut out of it.

The sequel/prequel is perfectly modern Ubisoft, shared world and online enabled, be playing it for years to come, it's obvious to see why they would be willing to throw multiple development studios at it as it fits right into their preferred direction. The technology is now in place, they just need to fill the solar system with content for launch.

A concise summary of why Ancel's making it and Ubisoft greenlit it. However there's an unanswered (existential?) "why" here: nobody liked BG&E because it was a partial accomplishment of a greater vision, they liked it for the game it actually was. The elephant in the room is that this is a very different game that nobody will necessarily like. There's name recognition amongst anyone who was really in to B-tier thirdparty games in the PS2 generation, but I worry that they're going to convert that in to a sort of anti-brand-recognition amongst that small existing fanbase if it turns out to be something completely different.

20 hours ago, Alex W. said:

A concise summary of why Ancel's making it and Ubisoft greenlit it. However there's an unanswered (existential?) "why" here: nobody liked BG&E because it was a partial accomplishment of a greater vision, they liked it for the game it actually was. The elephant in the room is that this is a very different game that nobody will necessarily like. There's name recognition amongst anyone who was really in to B-tier thirdparty games in the PS2 generation, but I worry that they're going to convert that in to a sort of anti-brand-recognition amongst that small existing fanbase if it turns out to be something completely different.

Yes, people who wanted more of the same probably won't like it but that's a risk they seem perfectly willing to take as they were also willing to cancel the last gen attempt which might have been more a direction that the existing vocal fanbase would have preferred. He's keeping the gameworld, and seemingly dumping the style of game that was the original (I never really played it apart from a bit at the very start, should probably get around to seeing if it is actually worthy of the hype).

I don't think Ubisoft have had to kill any of their current gen service games yet, so it'll be interesting to see if this can find an audience, it certainly has a unique look and ambition which should help it stand out.

Maybe existing fans should view it as a Bethesda published game, same branding, different content.

So I heard some impressions of the private live gameplay demo, it sounds like the technology is definitely working. Journos were shown a co-op mission involving the monkey and girl, which basically increased in scale as the demo progressed. The doubts they voiced seem to stem from whether Ubisoft can pull it off in a full shipping game.

• 5 months later...

That looks very impressive.

I tend to go through a cycle with Ubisofts games where everything is awesome for like the first 7 hours, before you realise how limited it really is, but no one can touch them for sheer scale. Doing a whole city at the detail level of say, Spiderman, and then having that be a tiny fraction of the gameworld is astonishing, even if the gameplay turns out to be that standard AAA omni-genre that's no ones favourite, but broadly acceptable to the widest range of people.

16 hours ago, Thwomp said:

Hmm it doesn't look much like Beyond Good & Evil

Yeah, this.

18 minutes ago, Vin said:

I already miss the charm and focus of the original. 

And this.

Ah, well, certainly not Day 1 for me.

2 hours ago, Vin said:

Oh god this obsession with who has the biggest open world is pure masturbatory wank. I already miss the charm and focus of the original. 

Exactly.. what happened to making worlds appear massive through story and action?  Like the Mass Effect Trilogy.  I still feel the scope of that world, even though it wasn't remotely massive or open world, whilst other newer games that are open world leave me feeling nothing.

The first minute or so of that video looks like it could be from any AAA game of the past five years.

The city looks impressive but I've basically vowed not to get drawn into another of Ubisoft's blandly focus tested, open world time sinks unless I'm convinced it's something truly special.

20 hours ago, VN1X said:

Weird that they choose BG&E to be the vehicle for Ubi's shot at a live service game.

Practically every huge effort/budget game Ubisoft have been making since the start of this generation is a variant of a service game though... the only major exceptions being their legacy brands.

Anyway, this is supposedly closer to what Michel Ancel dreamed of doing in the first place so lucky for him, the market has moved in his favour. Sea of Thieves x Star Citizen done with some gallic charm and Ubisoft's vast professional army to help pull it off.

That linked video is crazy! 

I did not expect that level of ambition from this title and it just looks like a crazy huge space-pirate videogame. 

See, this is the thing... They're making a massive open world space faring game that's totally online, but they're using the IP of an odd-ball PS2 title from eons ago. It's not the "BG&E 2" you might have in your head, being the sequel to said PS2 title. Instead this is their new open world space thing and they've attached an old IP to it, as new IP is risky because no fucker buys them. 

It looks amazing! I'm very impressed by that demo. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, RipePlums said:

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/6ptJuA0jx7qhvhTnSosl8L/an-update-on-beyond-good-evil-2

Michel Ansel leaves to... open a wildlife sanctuary? Good luck to him, but this isn't good news for BG&E2.

I’ll be amazed if the game ever gets released to be honest. 

I know the original is much beloved, but it always felt like a passion project for Ansel rather than anything commercial...and considering Ubisoft is all about almighty $ I’m fairly sure it’ll either be shelved or just be utter crap.

They’ve said that his work on it was done a while ago, but the whole project is baffling to me. I get why they would have wanted him to make this, but numbering it is bizarre, given how little the original is mentioned or remembered by anyone. Just call it something else and set it in the same world. Then there’s going for the unique vision of a single creator on a scale that one person couldn’t manage if they worked for ten lifetimes. There’s a reason nobody plays Eve or Elite for their character driven stories, they don’t have them because that’s completely incompatible with a giant space game.