rllmuk
gospvg

Metro Exodus - First on the Epic Store

I've not played any Metro games, can I jump in on this or will I be confused by it all?

Just jump in, there's some characters who appeared in the earlier games but otherwise it's pretty self-contained.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I've not played any Metro games, can I jump in on this or will I be confused by it all?

If you've got an Xbox one and Gamepass then the first two are both on there.

I'd say play Exodus first regardless, the first two are a lot clunkier and don't feature the sandbox sections. If the story and characters of Exodus grab you, you can always go back and play the first two. Free on Gamepass like womble9 says (and if you don't have gamepass you really should, it's just 1 quid for 3 months now. 1 quid!) and imho any story spoilers don't matter. The story and dialogue are the most clunky things about these games, but in a charming way - the incredible atmosphere is what makes it.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I played through the remakes of the first two before starting on this; you don't really need to.

I'm in the second open world area, and I'm getting a real Mad Max vibe. Not least from 'tagging' locations of interest with your binocs.

Well, I thought I was being really careful to just knock out any bad guys, but I still got the bad ending. Is there anything mission wise that helps get the good one, other than not killing?

I've been stealthing in and knocking people out, too - except when

rushed by a bunch of meat-crazed cannibals with axes and torches.

I couldn't really avoid shooting them in the face. Not that my aim's that good.

9 hours ago, SteveH said:

Well, I thought I was being really careful to just knock out any bad guys, but I still got the bad ending. Is there anything mission wise that helps get the good one, other than not killing?

Don't kill and save at least two of your friends gets you the good ending.

• Upvote 1

OK, I got the trophy for being nice to my team in the first area, so that's good - I missed out parts of the first area because I just brought back the McGuffins early, and ended up in the final mission.

So I left three or four question marks completely unexplored. But I did those two.

Since the English voice acting is terrible I tried switching to Russian with subtitles enabled, but a bug meant that the same two lines were stuck on screen at all times, so I couldn't understand anything. After fiddling around and failing to fix it I decided to delete my save and start from scratch (I was still in the first open area so not too far in) this time in Russian from the start.

Now it works OK but there's so much cross talk with multiple people speaking at once that unless you keep your eyes on the text at all times you miss a lot and I'm probably going to have to switch it back again. What a PITA. It's the lesser of two evils really - crappy English acting or better sounding Russian that's harder to follow.

Is it just me, or are there no places to crash in the second area? I want to take on a couple of areas at night, but can't find anywhere to sleep until dark.

Edit; finally found a couple.

Huh, played a tape found in a building, and heard the thug on the recording talking about stuff that hadn't happened yet. Sure enough, as I play on, each event happens as described.

The bloody game is spoiling itself.

I love looking down and seeing a weird pair of knees - mine, presumably - pumping away as I run around.

This game must set a modern record for load times. It's like going back to the days of cassette tape.

I genuinely had time to select 'continue' on the main menu, get to the bathroom, have a quick shower, dry off and get back before it had finished.

Loads of jankiness in this. Went to rescue someone, he leant against something then keeled over.

Still spouting his dialogue. For the next five minutes.

• Upvote 1

Aaaaand I'm done. Mixed feelings about this - I really liked the early levels, and liked my happy band of wanderers, but did not like the last two sections at all. Both linear, and the final section in

Novosibirsk

was just too tedious, with not enough actual action to leaven the story-telling and atmospheric wandering through to the finale.

Solid start, but dragged towards the end/10.

Got the good ending, apparently.

• Upvote 1

Yep, totally agree. If they do a sequel they need to embrace the open areas more, the first 2 big levels are exactly what I was looking for, and they can still have the classic Metro linear bits for the "dungeons". Maybe they intended the later levels to be open but realised they wouldn't have time to do that so they made them linear instead. They also need to get rid of the last generation game design with the silly boss arenas, linear stealth sections and other parts that play like a game from the 90's. Hell just give me essentially Stalker with some decent characters and I'll be happy.

• Upvote 2

Just tried this on gamepass, nearly turned it off during the first gameplay bit before you find out who you are etc (not played the others in the series), everything about it just seemed a bit rubbish. I did turn it off at a later section after you rescue an old guy near a train and you go outside. The weapons feel lame and the movement a bit janky - I assumed from the E3 announcement this was a big deal but when I searched here there was this 9 page thread from a while back and that seems to be it. Am I being overly harsh or is it a bit rubbish?

• Upvote 1

Tried playing this on GamePass, I've never had a game crash so many times in such a short space of time. Adding insult to injury is the fact that the bastard thing takes longer to reload than a Spectrum game. Fuck it life’s too short. Reading the web, seems I'm hardly alone in my experience and Deep Silver have done next to nothing to fix it.

I’d be well miffed if I'd actually bought this.

Yep, this is shite. Tried it on the One X the other night. Predictable, by-the-numbers game design. 

Dark into area lit by torch. Check. 

Monster scuttling in front of you to scare you. Check.

Wide open space that screams "You're gonna fight a lot of enemies here". Check, and yes you do.

It's proper pants, and the weapons are shit. What a joke.

It's the best shooter I've played since Borderlands 2. There was no single area where I found I had to fight a lot of monsters (bar one 'boss'sequence'), if it's that bit at the start you just crouch behind a car and they disappear.

• Upvote 1

I must get around to finishing this but despite having some good parts it’s just so fucking janky. And as others have mentioned too the load times are terrible. 

I thought the atmosphere was superb with some amazing lighting. I kind of approached it like Fallout 4 more than a typical shooter, which it is of course, but just soaking up the atmosphere and taking it slow, I got really absorbed by it.

I preferred the linear style of the first two games and gave up a few hours into the first big area. Maybe if they do a 'Metro Exodus Redux' on next gen consoles that sorts out the jank and the loading times I'll give it another go.

I was quite enjoying the actual game, but the load times stopped me carrying on.

Ten minutes to load a save is ridiculous in this day and age. It made me really cautious playing the game, as I didn’t want to die an restart.

• Empathy 1