rllmuk
gospvg

Metro Exodus - First on the Epic Store

Does anyone know if that first reveal trailer with the giant bear beast was an ingame scene and if present? That (along with its STALKER vibes) really got me hyped. I'll be picking this up on One X so I'm hoping they sort out that black crush problem.

9 minutes ago, amc said:

Does anyone know if that first reveal trailer with the giant bear beast was an ingame scene and if present? That (along with its STALKER vibes) really got me hyped. I'll be picking this up on One X so I'm hoping they sort out that black crush problem.

Yep. It was spruced up for the trailer (cinematic 'oh jesus almost fell off a cliff' for example), but it's in there. Not an early event though.

• Upvote 1

I have to say without sounding like a wily waver, but this whole RTX thing is easily overlooked as another gaming fad, but for a game like this were lighting is key to the immersion, its utterly breathtaking.

It has to be seen running to be believed and seeing 2 comparison shots of on and off aren't going to sell cards to the masses, but the realism is incredible.

Its an even bigger jump than playing doom and then watching a rocket light up a corridor on Quake with a voodoo card way back in the early 90's

• Upvote 2

The graphics are very impressive on a base PS4, so I can well imagine that on a top of the line P.C they would blow my balls off. 

23 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

The graphics are very impressive on a base PS4, so I can well imagine that on a top of the line P.C they would blow my balls off. 

The wet mud is honestly the best Ive ever seen.

Having now played Far Cry ND I can confirm that it does indeed crap all over this from a great height. Gunplay, graphics, sense of movement, voice acting, plot, environmental design are all in a different league.

On 18/02/2019 at 14:19, Hitcher said:

Ahh, unskippable cutscenes should never be a thing these days.

It's the first time I've actually shouted at characters in cutscenes to stfu and get a move on. There's a good game buried in here somewhere but it is so flawed in so many departments that playing it can become a chore. 

Personally I’m loving it. Just finished Winter and found it well balanced. I’ve not tried to skip anything as I’ve been enjoying the story.

really enjoying this, 

had to compress this as the Ge force share is saving the pics at a ridiculously large file size.

Showing some of the really subtle Ray Tracing lighting effects, the guys helmet torch is casting the most incredible beams and shadows in real time.

Metro  Exodus Screenshot 2019.02.21 - 14.41.57.74.jpeg

New patch out on PC that improves performance and makes a BIG improvement to the quality of DLSS as well. Looks damn good now. Well done 4A games.

I'm incredibly envious of some of the shots I've seen taken on high end PC's. However I'm also still pretty amazed how good this looks on the PS4 Pro. 

I'm still being snap happy. Just about finished Winter and about to move on to Spring.

40211736523_5af0d251c8_o.png

46262371305_eae89cbe5b_o.png

32234767207_ce285939b8_o.png

• Upvote 6

I’ve just finished the first few intro hours and it’s opened up at Volga. Instead of following Anna I’ve went off piste exploring. It was fun and scary! But I’m assuming I’m coming to places that will feature in the story, am I better just following her and doing some light exploring during that? Note that I’m a time sensitive gamer who likes narrative

On 22/02/2019 at 19:46, U-1 said:

I'm incredibly envious of some of the shots I've seen taken on high end PC's. However I'm also still pretty amazed how good this looks on the PS4 Pro. 

I'm still being snap happy. Just about finished Winter and about to move on to Spring.

40211736523_5af0d251c8_o.png

46262371305_eae89cbe5b_o.png

32234767207_ce285939b8_o.png

It doesn’t really look like that in game though....

9 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

It doesn’t really look like that in game though....

I'd argue that the first pic does.. however I find part of the beauty of photo-modes is being able to take the base game and get the most out of the graphics and detail. Highlighting things that you wouldn't ordinarily see (or easily miss) on a standard playthrough.

Just started this and loving it. Was a bit worried reading negative stuff online and hearing professional journos ragging on it, but maybe the low expectations helped. For context, I absolutely LOVE Stalker but never clicked with Metro. Always wanted to, it feels like it should be my kind of thing, but I dunno -  maybe the tunnels are too linear for my tastes. This however, is so far doing everything right, despite even the fairly linear start. The wonderful atmosphere is really doing it for me and (playing on an X) the environments and details are absolutely jaw-dropping. I'm really jealous of @Dave White being able to play on a pimping RTX, I can't imagine just how gorgeous the already advanced lighting must be. I can totally see myself buying and playing this again on PC once I upgrade from my humble 1070.

The character and monster models/animations are sadly not up to the standards of the incredible environments and lighting effects, but it's all serviceable. Likewise the voice acting has some of that eastern Europe ambitious jank charm going on. But I find it fascinating how many optional dialogue and background lore info there is to find if you're willing to hang around.

I totally get why people wouldn't get on with Metro Exodus, it's clunky - but for me (so far) it's clunky in exactly the right way. And goddamn just look at those graphics, I say again goddamn.

52 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'm running it on a humble 1080 and it looks glorious to me. I've enjoyed all the Metro games, but after 3 hours on this, I think the more outdoor and open design elevate it from the previous two. It's great fun so far.

Oh, I'm sure it would have looked gorgeous on my 1070 but I just happened to go with the XBX version. I'm skipping the RTX 20XX series but fully planning to jump on the 21XX series which will hopefully feature a more matured version of the ray tracing tech and be a more significant and justifiable upgrade over the 1070/1080. By that time, Exodus will be on Steam and probably hella cheap :D

I'm loving this more and more the further in I get. I totally see why for example the Giant Bomb folks didn't get along with this at all if they run forward, Call of Duty mindset shootmans let's go, and manage to get lost or confuse themselves. But for me, this is exactly my kind of game. I'm given a general direction for an area I have to go explore. Before embarking I scope out the route, see what seems safest and the most sensible place to get off the boat. Make my way there, trying to avoid nasty beasts to conserve ammo so I end up jumping off the boat, running up into a building and crouching behind a corner. Heal myself, do an inventory check, and craft some supplies - all the while it's dark and the rain is pouring down. Check the map again, I know which direction to go but not how to get there. Have to make my way through a building, which means potential monsters but also supplies. Carefully, pneumatic gun at the ready, no light, checking around every corner. Making a judgement call to either eliminate an enemy or avoid to conserve ammo. Ammo check after every encounter, pump the gun. Figuring out where to go. It's very tense stuff, and I love it. The heavy feel of everything just adds to the immersion.

• Upvote 7

As beautiful as the environments are, I'm actually having more fun capturing the games finer details and character models.

33431963558_20bd0ccb47_o.png

• Upvote 1

On 27/02/2019 at 10:05, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm loving this more and more the further in I get. I totally see why for example the Giant Bomb folks didn't get along with this at all if they run forward, Call of Duty mindset shootmans let's go, and manage to get lost or confuse themselves. But for me, this is exactly my kind of game. I'm given a general direction for an area I have to go explore. Before embarking I scope out the route, see what seems safest and the most sensible place to get off the boat. Make my way there, trying to avoid nasty beasts to conserve ammo so I end up jumping off the boat, running up into a building and crouching behind a corner. Heal myself, do an inventory check, and craft some supplies - all the while it's dark and the rain is pouring down. Check the map again, I know which direction to go but not how to get there. Have to make my way through a building, which means potential monsters but also supplies. Carefully, pneumatic gun at the ready, no light, checking around every corner. Making a judgement call to either eliminate an enemy or avoid to conserve ammo. Ammo check after every encounter, pump the gun. Figuring out where to go. It's very tense stuff, and I love it. The heavy feel of everything just adds to the immersion.

I've just started a play-through of Metro 2033/Last Light Redux, with an eye to picking this up later. and am rapidly realising that you don't go in all guns blazing. Not with the amount of ammo you're given. Enjoying the world so far, but opening it out in Exodus looks great.

23 minutes ago, smac said:

I've just started a play-through of Metro 2033/Last Light Redux, with an eye to picking this up later. and am rapidly realising that you don't go in all guns blazing. Not with the amount of ammo you're given. Enjoying the world so far, but opening it out in Exodus looks great.

The irony is that if you play carefully and pay attention - like I am - you'll soon have waaaaay more ammo than you could ever possibly need. The tension is still there thankfully, the game does a wonderful job with that, but yeah Alex must have been playing like a madman to constantly run out of ammo like he did.

I'm still fanatically playing this btw and still very much in awe and in love. It's exactly my kind of game, a mix of Stalker, Far Cry 2, and the Metro of old. And the environments are really something else, I have never seen anything like it. However, I'm not thinking in terms of "this might be one of my all-time top games" anymore, sadly. It was, right up until the second sandbox area which is (just a slight spoiler of what kind of environment it is)

Spoiler

a Mad Max style desert are with a Mad Max style vibe and atmosphere.

Nothing wrong with that in itself, but the first open area was pure Stalker and completely engrossing and gripping. I had fun playing through the second area, but I really missed the Stalker-ishness of the first. The third area is

Spoiler

a mountainous forest area during the summer

which is goddamn gorgeous, the most impressive visuals in this game so far. Amazing stuff. But it turns out to be a bit linear compared to the previous two areas (so far I'm ever moving forwards towards a specific goal) which again means it fails to capture the incredible atmosphere of the first area. On the bright side, they do mix up the gameplay in very interesting and fun ways by

Spoiler

taking yo shit away and introducing a silent but deadly crossbow to hunt fools and tools,

so it's still really really good as far as I'm concerned. Really having a blast with this.

• Upvote 2

I loved the first region as well, like you I got a mega Stalker vibe from it. After you get the annoying linear bit out of the way, it's a really fun area. It feels quite dense and getting from A to B is an adventure in itself. 

Now I'm half-way through the second region and the shine is wearing off for me. Mainly because the area is too spread out, and the enemies and encounters feel too samey. It's like, woo, another generic bandit camp or monster ruin, usually with no interesting rewards aside from maybe a few scraps of metal or a new gun stock inside. It's still enjoyable though and the story sub-levels are good. I just think the first region felt more interactive, more interesting to travel around and more threatening.

The world is absolutely amazing though, the graphics, the atmosphere, the environmental design. The scale is great as well, climbing on top of a building and using your binoculars to scope out the surroundings is awesome. Especially when you know you can go to any of those places, and plan your route there. The combat is fairly medicore and underwhelming like the previous games although it's functional. The weapon mod system is brilliant though and adds a bit of variety to how you want to approach each encounter. I'm currently rocking a sniper rifle, a silenced assault rifle and a beefed up pneumatic gun.  

I'm playing on the Hard mode and so far the balance has been good in terms of ammo and resources. I have rarely ran out completely but I often feel like I'm on the edge. I try to scavenge where-ever I can. It's a lot easier than the hard modes of the other Metro games. The only annoying thing is that you die in just a few hits. This leaves little room for error which can make some bits frustrating, but worst of all is the load time between deaths. On base PS4 they aren't too bad (maybe 20-30 seconds) but still long enough that its bloody annoying if you keep dying repeatedly. 

Definitely agree with the criticisms about the standing around listening to characters talk, its far worse than the previous games. The sound balance is completely off as well for dialogue, if you turn off subtitles you can't hear a lot of the conversations or radio orders because of the ambient sound - and idiotically there is no seperate volume sliders for them.

Mute Artyom also doesn't work any more - you can get away with it in the earlier games because his interactions were limited, but now he has Anna and this close-knit group of mates it feels really stupid and breaks the immersion. I do like the characters though, even if I can't be arsed to stand around and listen to their chats most of the time, it helps to make them feel fleshed out and a real ragtag crew of friends.

I'm hoping the gameplay and level design evolves a bit as the game moves on, but honestly just give me more like the first region with new enemies and some new weapons/gameplay mechanics and I'll be happy. 

• Upvote 3

@Alan Stock the third region will melt your eyes it's so gorgeous. And, more importantly, it's far far better than the second. Not as good as the first like I've said, but a step up again. Looking forward to seeing the fourth area, but my dream Metro game would be an entire game's worth of sandbox regions like the first one in Exodus, interspersed with classic Metro levels acting as the dungeons of sorts. Just go full Stalker in all but name. And yeah fix the talking bits etc, because the story and characters aside from the acting and pacing are actually very interesting. Hopefully Exodus 2 will take what works in Exodus 1 and run with it. This game has loads and loads of potential.

• Upvote 3