rllmuk
gospvg

Metro Exodus - First on the Epic Store

Is this Alex person always like that? Probably explains why they employ him to do that type of content I suppose, more entertaining.

Ghouls  mutants are the worst thing ever. Sometimes they die after one bullet, other times they are bullet sponges. Bandits seems way nerfed, they surrender very easily. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a patch nerfing the surrender mechanics. 

15 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Ghouls  mutants are the worst thing ever. Sometimes they die after one bullet, other times they are bullet sponges. Bandits seems way nerfed, they surrender very easily. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a patch nerfing the surrender mechanics. 

Two things - use a double barreled shotgun for mutants, it annihilates them when you fire off a close range blast. Also, the humanoid versions have different colours - paler (greener?) ones take way more damage to kill and it's not easy to tell the difference in certain lighting conditions, so that may be the issue.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Two things - use a double barreled shotgun for mutants, it annihilates them when you fire off a close range blast. Also, the humanoid versions have different colours - paler (greener?) ones take way more damage to kill and it's not easy to tell the difference in certain lighting conditions, so that may be the issue.

Thank for the tip, I hadn't noticed any color difference :sherlock: So far I haven't used any shotguns. I got my scoped AK, a pistol witth reflex sights and that gun you have to crank the lever thing. 

20 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Thank for the tip, I hadn't noticed any color difference :sherlock: So far I haven't used any shotguns. I got my scoped AK, a pistol witth reflex sights and that gun you have to crank the lever thing. 

It's actually a mod for your pistol - plenty of enemies have them, so just swap it over at a workbench. If you've been dismantling their gear you're pretty much guaranteed to have the parts at this point.

• Upvote 1

The music in this is very hit or miss. Just arrived at the ark and the theme is fantastic, in other parts of the game it has been kinda bland. 

51 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Have to say the lighting on the ray tracing is utterly insane. Loved the others and this seems to be a superb sequel so far. 

It's so good. Materials now look like are lit properly and everything seems to blend into the environment properly. Even the DLSS is well done as well. 

49 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

It's so good. Materials now look like are lit properly and everything seems to blend into the environment properly. Even the DLSS is well done as well. 

it really does, some of the reflections from fires on fabric and light on weapons are just sublime. 

Don't know if its me but I can only seem to select diss and rtx together using my 20180 ti, it disables rtx if I uncheck the dlss, 

Christ what a wand I sound there like.

Is there a way to benchmark the game I cant seem to find it?

• Upvote 1

I’m finding it clunky and poorly paced - not to mention some really ropey voice acting with a cast of rather unmemorable and mostly unlikable characters - too many cut scenes coming in out of nowhere where you can’t even move. Too many hold down a button to open a door into a room, watch the animation, search room, sit through same animation again.

The atmos is all over the place (I switched it off) and the default brightness setting is pitch black on both PS4 Pro and X1X, even on oled.

Quite a few bugs and everything so far has been a fetch quest (I’m at first open area and have done the church).

Do I stick with it or is it just not my thing? Mostly looks great (bar a few rough textures), though very bleak.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

it really does, some of the reflections from fires on fabric and light on weapons are just sublime. 

Don't know if its me but I can only seem to select diss and rtx together using my 20180 ti, it disables rtx if I uncheck the dlss, 

Christ what a wand I sound there like.

Is there a way to benchmark the game I cant seem to find it?

There is a benchmark within the game but it's hilariously bad at judging your framerate in game. It clobbers the piss out of the framerate compared to what you get in game to the tune of around 20 to 30 fps. Pointless.

As for the DLSS thing, well it's odd. You should just be able to select RTX without DLSS being on. Although if you want DLSS it will automatically put RTX on. It's the same with BFV and there's probably a reason for it technically but I'm not sure. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’m finding it clunky and poorly paced - not to mention some really ropey voice acting with a cast of rather unmemorable and mostly unlikable characters - too many cut scenes coming in out of nowhere where you can’t even move. Too many hold down a button to open a door into a room, watch the animation, search room, sit through same animation again.

The atmos is all over the place (I switched it off) and the default brightness setting is pitch black on both PS4 Pro and X1X, even on oled.

Quite a few bugs and everything so far has been a fetch quest (I’m at first open area and have done the church).

Do I stick with it or is it just not my thing? Mostly looks great (bar a few rough textures), though very bleak.

The first few chapters are incredibly linear but the levels really open up after that and it changes to a more open world game. Maybe stick with it till that bit and see if you like it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mafro said:

The first few chapters are incredibly linear but the levels really open up after that and it changes to a more open world game. Maybe stick with it till that bit and see if you like it.

Good to hear this. I've sat through far too many cut scenes with appalling voice acting in them. I've also done the church and started exploring. I have had a comedy moment where I've been running around a roof whilst ghouls chased me as a sniper tried to take them out. All it needed was the Benny Hill music and it's GOTY for me.

9 hours ago, Strafe said:

Sadly, I couldn't agree more with this. It was my most anticipated game of the year  after loving the first 2 but it's pretty crap for the most part. 

Cost at me a fortune and right now I wish I had got Far Cry instead. A crushing disappointment, my worst since MGS V

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

It's really nailed the Stalker vibe for me.. slightly rough around the edges but incredibly atmospheric once it opens up and let's you explore.

The only thing it's really missing from those games is inventory management.. I'm also quite surprised how simplified they have made the crafting, was expecting something more in-depth.

It's certainly a looker at times though

Metro Exodus_20190215014113

Metro Exodus_20190215134728

Metro Exodus_20190216043256

• Upvote 1

Bought on PC and backed right away.

Nothing to do with the Steam thing which doesn't bother me.

The game is not ready.

HDR + DLSS = extremely washed out image (DX12).

Switching to DX11 and restarting, the game doesn't even get past the opening splash screens & video.

Reading Dave White's post there appears to be a litany of compatibility-related issues - I suspect caused by a cheapskate Deep Silver not wanting to pay for the necessary compat testing + bugfixing.

Now the pressure will be on them, I suspect they'll fix it eventually - but I'm not waiting for that potential commitment and would rather get my money back in the meantime - then maybe buy again at a lower price when fixed given the market will have moved on.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Sadly, I couldn't agree more with this. It was my most anticipated game of the year  after loving the first 2 but it's pretty crap for the most part. 

Cost at me a fortune and right now I wish I had got Far Cry instead. A crushing disappointment, my worst since MGS V

How far into it are you?

12 hours ago, Strafe said:

12 hours ago, Mafro said:

2 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

Good to hear this. I've sat through far too many cut scenes with appalling voice acting in them. I've also done the church and started exploring. I have had a comedy moment where I've been running around a roof whilst ghouls chased me as a sniper tried to take them out. All it needed was the Benny Hill music and it's GOTY for me.

2 hours ago, sandman said:

Yes thats been the main issue with all the Metro games, but as others have said the game really opens up. The cut scenes are there to set up the narrative, but once you get past the starter area the game starts to shine. 

The opening is really odd. I get that it is a tutorial, but it is so different once you get to after the train. I nearly gave up due to the points above and it being barely interactive. Graphically there's times when it is absolutely stunning and then times when it looks poor. The texture quality and design is incredible for almost everything except seemingly the enemies. I was in awe at the rain effect until I went inside and could still hear it but then looked back through the door and there's no rain at all - and the illusion is shattered you can clearly see its just a veneer on your camera and nothing is actually wet.

So far it seems a good game rather than a great one. The world and mood they've created is top notch, but the combat just doesn't feel right somehow.

6 minutes ago, pledge said:

The opening is really odd. I get that it is a tutorial, but it is so different once you get to after the train. I nearly gave up due to the points above and it being barely interactive. Graphically there's times when it is absolutely stunning and then times when it looks poor. The texture quality and design is incredible for almost everything except seemingly the enemies. I was in awe at the rain effect until I went inside and could still hear it but then looked back through the door and there's no rain at all - and the illusion is shattered you can clearly see its just a veneer on your camera and nothing is actually wet.

So far it seems a good game rather than a great one. The world and mood they've created is top notch, but the combat just doesn't feel right somehow.

Good review. I've reached the Aral sea and now it feels like playing Rage. 

4 hours ago, Triple A said:

Bought on PC and backed right away.

Nothing to do with the Steam thing which doesn't bother me.

The game is not ready.

HDR + DLSS = extremely washed out image (DX12).

Switching to DX11 and restarting, the game doesn't even get past the opening splash screens & video.

Reading Dave White's post there appears to be a litany of compatibility-related issues - I suspect caused by a cheapskate Deep Silver not wanting to pay for the necessary compat testing + bugfixing.

Now the pressure will be on them, I suspect they'll fix it eventually - but I'm not waiting for that potential commitment and would rather get my money back in the meantime - then maybe buy again at a lower price when fixed given the market will have moved on.

was having some problems but the windows update has totally fixed it for me now.

• Upvote 1

Not sure how many hours I've clocked in as Epic wont tell, but its probably in the range of 10-15  hours.

The similarities to STALKER is there, right of the bat..I mean the menu screen. The problem is that Metro and STALKER are two different games. Metro has always been heavy on the story and narrative, while STALKER always forced you to discover things on your own. Exodus tries to do both and it doesn't always succeed. Some parts of the game blow my socks off....yes I had to buy new socks. Others parts made me go really, you cant do better?

Not sure what I would like to see changed. I mean I liked both the previous Metro games and STALKER, so I dont want to see anything changed. Maybe less cut-scenes and scripted events would be a good start.

It’s a curious one, all right. In a lot of ways I love it, as it feels like a more polished Stalker game, but I can see how it could be a jarring change of pace for fans of the Metro games. The gun modding simultaneously opens up a load of different options, but also largely does away with needing to make do with what you have, and agonising over whether to pick up a new gun (as opposed to, now, stripping a new gun for parts with a button press.) I’m playing on hardcore and the amount of materials given to you to craft is just right, keeping you in a mindset of ‘can I avoid this fight?’ while simultaneously wanting to explore and put yourself in more danger. It does seem to lean heavily in favour of a shotgun build, though, if only because shells are so cheap to craft as opposed to assault rifle rounds. Having to clean your guns, and them jamming when they get too dirty, also works pretty well. 

The other characters have been unintentionally funny to me at points, as I stand there listening, they stop talking, and I go to walk off when they start chatting again, leading me to feel like an overly polite person who can’t escape. The voice acting is very variable, ranging from good to ‘my mate trying to do a Russian accent’ which can knock you out of the scene sometimes. 

There’s a change to the Metro pattern of exploring dark, threatening places then entering a station/outpost and feeling relieved at the lights and life. Here it’s more relentless, with only a handful of empty ‘bases’ you can find for a brief break, so there’s a risk of losing that contrast as well. Atmospherically, though, there are few games to match it, and it’s great losing myself in the dystopian world. 

Overall, I’m really enjoying it. I can see why they must’ve thought keeping the Metro series in, well, the metro, wasn’t sustainable, and it was a bold move to venture outside that. They’re going to lose fans in the process, and some of this game’s mechanics are a bit shaky, but honestly I think they would’ve lost them anyway if they’d stuck with what people were used to. 

• Upvote 2

I'm on the first open area and there's a structure at the far eastern end of the map that even though has a question mark next to it, I can find no way of actually getting to it. Trying by water and I hit invisible walls that will not let my boat through. There's an area to the south that looks like it may allow access but I've had a search and cannot see anything obvious. Is this area story dependant or am I missing something really obvious? 

Be aware that you can also change the language to Russian in the options if the accents are making some characters more comical than they should be.

Miller's a badass in English though.

@sofasurfer Tried just hoofing it over the landmass, or is it on an island? I got all the ?'s as far as I'm aware, and didn't have too much trouble getting to any of them.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Be aware that you can also change the language to Russian in the options if the accents are making some characters more comical than they should be.

Miller's a badass in English though.

@sofasurfer Tried just hoofing it over the landmass, or is it on an island? I got all the ?'s as far as I'm aware, and didn't have too much trouble getting to any of them.

It's mission dependant. There's a gate underneath the structure that is now open.