rllmuk
gospvg

Metro Exodus - First on the Epic Store

Not abruptly enough, unfortunately. In the open area when you go up to the church it’s still incredibly hand holdy and tiresome. 

I read Pob’s post above about how immersive it is, but I find things like there  being a dialogue prompt or health bar pull me out of a game far, far less than things like jarringly awful dialogue or - my pet peeve in games - when they take control away from you. This keeps happening with crappy jump scare encounters and it drives me nuts. 

I’m sticking with it for the time being, though. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Not abruptly enough, unfortunately. In the open area when you go up to the church it’s still incredibly hand holdy and tiresome. 

You're sooooo close to the abrupt stop tho! Sooooooo close!

Spoiler

Do the church, go back to camp - you're on your own now good luck

• Upvote 1

They've definitely polished this up, at least over on PC. Was a bit of a struggle playing it at its absolute best, even with DLSS, close to release but having recently gone back to it now its flying along. Can look incredible at times.

I'm really enjoying it, recently left the desert area (was stuck in the boat that's mentioned on the last page haha, I just loaded a save from a minute before I'd gotten stuck and all was good though) and now I'm in the place you encounter the bear from the original E3 vid. It's a decent game.

This has definitely got its hooks into me, but it's flawed in so many ways. 4A have always been a really odd studio. They produced a technically wonderful game in Metro 2033 all while working in horrific conditions (I sincerely hope things have improved from the days of them being sat on plastic garden chairs), but since then they seem to have concentrated a lot of their efforts on keeping technical side of things front and centre, and the core nuts and bolts don’t seem to have changed much (other than the open world format).

It still feels like a bog standard FPS - the RPG mechanics are incredibly light and I would have loved to see them fleshed out a bit more. It's like a prettier version of STALKER with all the RPG stuff ripped out (and by the way, if you like this game, you owe it to yourself to play STALKER).

The bugs can be quite frustrating (but also amusing):

hIVSTUc.mp4

The map and way in which people point stuff out to you are pretty hilarious.

“Hey Artyom! See that building over there?” (while not pointing at anything)

“Which one?”

“It’s a bandit camp! And that next to it is a safehouse!”

“Which one?”

“Over there is the Terminal!”

“I have no idea which buildings you’re talking about.”

And then they’re all just converted into question marks on your map, which doesn't really help in the slightest. 

The less said about Anna, the better. Every time she opens her mouth, I wish she’d die. But other than that, as I said, it’s got its hooks into me. There’s some really cool stuff in here like:

Spoiler

Killing the Tsar fish, which seems totally optional, was great.

And it’s got the best HDR implementation I’ve seen since Assassin’s Creed: Origins. It looks incredible on my OLED.

I completed the Volga river yesterday and then the Yermantau level as well. I really enjoyed both. Yermantau was a wonderful change of pace from the Volga.

• Upvote 1

I'm playing this at the moment, part way through Volga trying to get to the Terminal at the moment. I find I'm relying a lot on the Pneumatic Rifle for silent kills and readily available ammo, is that the way it's meant to be played?

On 21/01/2020 at 21:04, HarryBizzle said:

And it’s got the best HDR implementation I’ve seen since Assassin’s Creed: Origins. It looks incredible on my OLED.

It looks amazing doesn't it? They've managed to get the contrast balance spot on which is impressive given that the game asks you to make day / night tactical choices. Playing at night is actually a real joy.

Probably the best looking game I've seen to-date. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it looks brilliant. I think stealth is generally how it's meant to be played as getting into firefights just destroys your ammo reserves.

I just completed the Caspian bit, which I'm kind to see the back of. I did every side thing you could and it just dragged toward the end. 

The writing, though. Flipping hell, it makes me cringe so much. The whole Anna thing just falls completely flat for me because every time she opens her mouth it's this cheesy exposition dump.

1 minute ago, BongoInferno said:

I switched the voices to Russian with English subtitles. I think it adds to the atmosphere.

I didn’t even realise that was an option! Thanks for that. 

On 06/02/2020 at 22:02, BongoInferno said:

I switched the voices to Russian with English subtitles. I think it adds to the atmosphere.

Were you playing on PC by any chance? I can’t find an option for this on Xbox. 

Ive just completed the Taiga level and I’m quite impressed with how distinct each area feels. Loads of different radioactive wasteland tropes being explored. Nothing particularly brilliant being done with them, but the variety is nice. 

The Taiga felt like a bit of a missed opportunity. The game has an odd combination of great world building and atmosphere, combined with some of the clunkiest writing I’ve ever seen. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Were you playing on PC by any chance? I can’t find an option for this on Xbox. 

Ive just completed the Taiga level and I’m quite impressed with how distinct each area feels. Loads of different radioactive wasteland tropes being explored. Nothing particularly brilliant being done with them, but the variety is nice. 

The Taiga felt like a bit of a missed opportunity. The game has an odd combination of great world building and atmosphere, combined with some of the clunkiest writing I’ve ever seen. 

I played it on PS4. Looks like it is an option on Xbox but you can only change it from the main menu, not the pause menu. Options -> Game options -> Audio language 

• Upvote 1

I finished this yesterday and really liked it. You can tell it’s not made by a US or Western European team. 

The four main locations are all distinct and have something different to offer, and having seen a few different things written about it, I don’t think that’s picked up on enough. It keeps the game generally feeling fresh. I would say that there’s probably not enough reward for exploring, and the storytelling doesn’t really do subtle, but the stuff you all find is generally interesting. 

I also really like that you can just walk off and carry on playing the game while the NPCs try to inflict 5 minute monologues on you. 

The finale was surprisingly emotional, too. The music was absolutely perfect. Haven’t experienced something that cinematic in a game (without it actually just being a cutscene). 

• Upvote 3

Just gone back to this with a fresh install on pc. Kind of left it sadly. 

as @HarryBizzle says the performance is massively improved. Running it on extreme settings with ultra ray tracing and getting a solid 60.  So atmospheric. 

Finally completed this yesterday, really enjoyed it in the end. Really nice change of pace across the various chapters, visually lovely and didn't outstay it's welcome. 

The only criticism I have is that the actual gunplay is underwhelming. 

Just bought The Two Colonels DLC.

• Upvote 2

I've started playing this on the PC (it's on Xbox game pass!), mostly to check out my new graphics card.

Questions! Is it stealthy the whole way through? Do people ever shut up?