rllmuk
gospvg

Metro Exodus - First on the Epic Store

I turned the music off as it seemed to be kicking in at the wrong times and giving the game away in some encounters. That seems to have been a good move. I also found laser sights for most of my guns, meaning the crosshair is hidden which has also helped with the immersion.

Getting anywhere on the surface is really gruelling! You can spend a good 20 mins crossing a small area due to various environmental and live obstacles. I lost an hour's worth of play when it autosaved as I was in the water in the train terminal, just before the Tsar Fish got me :(

I had a great moment when I legged it past some guys guarding a petrol station, climbed onto the shop roof and knocked out the sentry, then waited as the gunshots attracted a load of zombie mutants who made short work of the remaining soldiers down on the ground! Then the zombies climbed on the roof with me and chased me away. Shitty zombies.

The dingy train terminal was hell on earth. So many zombies, such an oppressive building. Thank god for the NVGs I found. I finally found the train car, but it was boxed in. Couldn't believe I still wasn't done with the place. After lots of searching I found the lever to clear the debris, and I was out of there! Such a relief to be out and pootling along at more than 3mph. Amazing that you get to pilot the train car yourself, even more amazing that you're expected to adjust the junction point and back the engine up to the carriage yourself.

Today I finished up the Volga section by almost 100% stealthing the theft of a tug-boat (one casualty right at the end) and steaming through the bridge big pretty quickly, again with very minimal casualties. The game seems to be recognising that I've been going easy on the cultists via dialogue from other characters. 

I also realised how awesome a shotgun build is, and regretted not using one before.

Now we've reached the promised land of Yamantau and, as suspected, it's not all that great....

• Upvote 3

I had a proper meta moment of despair last night. Exploring a rusty hulk in the dried-out Caspian area, I noticed I couldn’t get up to the ship’s bridge. However, there was a rocky outcrop that might provide access with a running jump. Messing it up would probably mean death. 

I made the jump and found a 60-round magazine upgrade for the assault rifle. Result, secret found! There was a hole in the ship’s floor that lead down into the belly. More loot down there, no doubt.

Except there wasn’t. Also, there was no way back up. After a few minutes and an autosave that prevented me from reloading, it dawned on me that I wasn’t supposed to be able to get down here. Some of the rusty plates had dodgy clipping - the telltale sign of an out-of-bounds area. 

With the sun setting and the real-world panic setting in, I was starting to fear that my whole save was messed up, my character doomed to spend the rest of his life in this rusty cage, eventually becoming another of the many anonymous skeletons that litter the landscape. I contemplated that this was the end of the road for me and the game. I’d hit an early bad ending, like one of those Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. 

In desperation, I googled “metro exodus stuck in ship” and found a Steam forum thread about other travellers who had become trapped in the same hulk. There was a ray of light - one soul told of an area of the wall that could be clipped through. Fortunately this traveller had uploaded a video of his escape to YouTube. 

After about 15 minutes of running, crouching and hopping I finally managed to squeeze myself through the walls. Freedom at last! The desert may be dead but I was alive! Free to rejoin my comrades, my wife. Free to continue the search for a new home. 

• Upvote 6

I'm about half an hour into this and so far it's very grey, dark and clunky. I'm inspired by @Pob's posts above to stick with it, but I can't say it makes a particularly good first impression. I didn't realise silent FPS protagonists were still a thing in 2019, either.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I'm about half an hour into this and so far it's very grey, dark and clunky. I'm inspired by @Pob's posts above to stick with it, but I can't say it makes a particularly good first impression. I didn't realise silent FPS protagonists were still a thing in 2019, either.

He's not as silent as you think. Also completed the Two colonels DLC the other day. Was good, if short, and looks stunning on PC with RTX.

I'd say get to the first open-world bit before giving up, the intro puts its' worst foot forwards with over-scripting and lots of instant death.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I'd say get to the first open-world bit before giving up, the intro puts its' worst foot forwards with over-scripting and lots of instant death.

Yes, I was all ready to give up after a couple of hours despite the interesting setting. The opening is incredibly linear and scripted and the voice acting is lame. However, once you get set free there's more focus on environmental storytelling and it settles into a nice rhythm of alternating openness and linearity. I had some highly memorable moments in this game - some of the best of this generation.

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I didn't realise silent FPS protagonists were still a thing in 2019, either.

Outer Worlds says 'Hi'. Or actually, it mimes it...

I completed this last month and it was a real struggle - its by some margin the weakest of the 3 games.

After the boring train section and a shit-load more exposition in dodgy accents, I got as far as the first open area and things were looking up after I spent some time completely ignoring my wife and exploring a bit. Then I came across a group of neo-Luddite cultists who I had to stealth my way past. Apparently I was supposed to head for a boat suspended from a gantry, that I thought I'd found but couldn't seem to interact with, but I ended up getting shot by someone I couldn't see instead and consequently had to reload (which took three bloody minutes), only to spawn In the river near where I'd died and immediately started getting shot at from above once more. By that point I'd had enough.

It's a good-looking game but the clunkiness, jankiness and hammyness of it all is too much for me when there's lots of other games I could be playing, and while everyone will no doubt rush to tell me that there are some good bits if I stick with it, so far I've found myself completely disengaged and can't be arsed to give it the benefit of the doubt beyond the 2 hours I've played. Looking at other posts in this thread, the second half of the game sounds worse than the first, so if I don't like what I've played so far then the end game must be pants.

I got it cheap so I'll stick it in Trading for a similarly cheap price and someone else can have a go. Evidently, it's had a lasting impression on quite a few people, but unfortunately it's not for me.

• Upvote 2

Fine for me, but I'm not one to notice a bit of jank here and there. I started on a ZX81 and it's all good compared to that, man...

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I just recall reading it was a bit of a mess at launch, but there have been a few patches since, so maybe that's made a difference.

I’ve just finished the Caspian level on a base PS4 (I’m maybe 2/3rds of the way through the game?) and it runs fine. A lot of the reviews mention terrible loading times but they seemed to have improved that a lot since release.

• Upvote 1

Finished it on Friday night and really enjoyed my time with this game.  I've played it in 2 bits, first half the game when it came out then got distracted but a new release.  Made a conscious decision to get back into it before this year finished.  It seems to long ago i was in the icy wastes and hiding from any number of beasties and running around shitting myself with janky weapons that i couldn't hit a thing with and praying for somewhere to sleep.  By the time I was finishing the summer level I felt more confident but still wary, always wary of wasting ammo and being left with nothing.  Its not a generous game! Not being able to change between weapons mid level always made the decisions weighty.  The game is dripping with atmosphere and it really quite beautiful at times.  The 2 main open world levels feel interesting then the game narrows a bit towards the end but by then that suited me as after 25 hours I was looking to move on.  Certainly Half Life 2 fans should play and enjoy this, I'm not sure about people reporting of jankyness.. apart for some audio sync issues i had a clean, bug free run.   I'm miss some of the characters..

Anyone played the DLC?

• Upvote 3

There’s a really well-done intro/recap at the start which told me all I needed to know. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's a great price for a lot of atmosphere.

I got the Redux remaster for PS4 as well, and did those first - which I enjoyed working through. The last one is the best game; opens up the world nicely.

3 hours ago, BongoInferno said:

It's down to £11.99 at Argos on PS4 and Xbox One. An absolute bargain for an excellent game.

I've got this for free with an Xbox One X bundle from Argos. I wasn't too bothered about it as I've barely played the other Metro games (they are good, but I barely have any gaming time so they didn't get a fair shout), but this really sounds great. 

14 hours ago, Nein said:

I've got this for free with an Xbox One X bundle from Argos. I wasn't too bothered about it as I've barely played the other Metro games (they are good, but I barely have any gaming time so they didn't get a fair shout), but this really sounds great. 

It does need you to stick with it. the first few hours are straighforward until you get on the road.  Its at this part it can feel very hard as you are scavenging, hiding and underpowered.  Stick with it for a few hours of that and you'll hopefully be enjoying it then. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve finally made a start on this and it seems ok so far. I played and enjoyed 2033 on PC years ago (the one memory that’s stayed with me is annihilating the Nazi station with the mounted gun on the train - that was brilliant). 

I didn’t bother with Last Light because I’d sort of had my fill of the trudging through dark tunnels and having big rats jump out at you, but the prospect of leaving Moscow has me excited for this. So far, it’s very handholdy, but story wise they’ve got me intrigued (just got to the train). 

The dark tunnel make a nice showcase for my OLED, too. 

9 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

So far, it’s very handholdy, but story wise they’ve got me intrigued (just got to the train). 

The handholding is about to come to an abrupt stop :) 

• Upvote 1