Jump to content
gospvg

Metro Exodus - First on the Epic Store

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

 

That's a good point. I believe Metro is $50 on the Epic Store compared to the $60 price point Steam were charging, so there's already a saving as a result of the store's reduced cut. But there's a short-term loss of choice for the consumer, true. Competition doesn't just happen instantly though. It's a back and forth thing. All Steam needs to do is drop its cut to 10% and there's no longer an incentive for publishers to go exclusive to Epic, the result of which would be more choice for consumers and more profit for publishers/developers. Which is why this kind of competition, albeit not instant, is so important in the long run. Valve has had it easy for far, far too long.

 

The UK price is £50 but unless my eyes are broken - Epic done good?

 

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/metro-exodus-pc-cd-key

 

They're already letting other vendors sell keys? £38.99 on Epic key so an £11 saving. So this is the best of both worlds - better for devs and customers. I genuinely did not expect they would already have third parties ready to sell store keys. Impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Retail Epic version?

 

This is all pleasantly surprising. How did they get this infrastructure up so fast?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Epic store was announced there was a big thread on ResetEra about it. Most people didn't care about it being another launcher, but did care about the fact the Epic store has no features. For example - no cloud saving, no forums (players are directed to the Steam forums for a game to get feedback) plus other stuff. I don't know if the various areas are being fixed (I think they may have said they won't provide forums?) but that's the main issue with Epic money-hatting developers.

 

It'll be interesting how Steam react now that Epic have made some big moves with big games (rather than the initial indie focus).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but Steam has those features because they wanted to attract third party developers, and attracting a large audience of players to sell your game to is a way of doing that.

 

Epic are attracting developers by offering them a larger cut, and they arguably already have a huge audience of players to sell your game to, so they probably don't need those features.

 

I honestly prefer basically every other storefront over Steam at this point, they're faster, better looking, have a better interface and don't require me to go through and sort cards or whatever other billion cruft features Valve has added.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Steam set to launch into my 'currently playing' playlist in my Library and occasionally I get a notification that one of the games on my wishlist is on sale. Why would you engage with any of those extra features if you don't want to?

 

Edit: not to defend Steam, it could definitely stand to improve, but just saying that those specific extras are so easily ignored.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got no problem with the game being on the Epic storefront but this exclusivity nonsense can fuck off. Give me the choice to buy the game for my preferred pc gaming client day one, making the game exclusive to the Epic storefront for one year is not consumer friendly, it may be cheaper on there but that don't mean diddly squat when it's no longer available on Steam or anywhere else. Sad!

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @Max Damage, competition is good and Steam/Valve are long due a kick up the arse - but this contrived exclusivity is bullshit. This is PC, not a locked down and restricted console. By all means make the game cheaper on the Epic Store, promote that version over the others, but let people buy it wherever they want. Especially because it's been available for pre-order on Steam for at least half a year now.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely if you care about the game that much you'll just install the Epic Launcher to play it and then be done with it. Otherwise just wait it out and buy it a year down the line on Steam. It's hardly like you need to buy new hardware to play the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested in playing this on PC but at the present time and release schedule of other stuff not enough to prioritise. Even at 39 quid on CDKeys. I *suspect* that post launch the price will drop quite a bit anyway. Is the Metro fanbase large enough (Especially on PC) to hold a 40-50 price for long?

 

If I was super hyped to play it right now it being on the Epic store wouldn't stop me though. It'd just be slightly annoying. Has anyone done a meta launcher for all the different apps so we can keep our games list in one place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not particularly bothered about another launcher in principle, but it has to be at least as good as the competition.

 

As it stands, I have issues with Uplay (poor pad support. No configuration. Anything that's not an Xbox pad is useless). Origin (uses ridiculous amounts of CPU whilst downloading/installing) and now this Epic thing is so barebones I can't even carry on a game I'm playing at home on my laptop when I'm out and about.

 

Don't even get me started on the Windows 10 store.

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I agree with @Max Damage, competition is good and Steam/Valve are long due a kick up the arse - but this contrived exclusivity is bullshit. This is PC, not a locked down and restricted console. By all means make the game cheaper on the Epic Store, promote that version over the others, but let people buy it wherever they want. Especially because it's been available for pre-order on Steam for at least half a year now.

 

How else do you get customers to use your new fangled alternative distribution platform? Valve have a de facto monopoly on PC game distribution for the vast majority of titles and huge inertia due to network effects and existing library lock-in. The only way to hope to break through that inertia is to force people to use your alternative, as giving them the option of using Valve will mean laziness will overcome even cheaper pricing, as the growing digital share on console can attest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only recently coming back to PC gaming I'd forgotten how fragmentation of stores can be a pain. I use several places for my library what with being a Twitch Prime user, an Origin Access subscriber and a Steam buyer oh and now a tentative Epic consumer, thanks to the free Ethan Carter. All was going fine until I tried to play Hyper Light Drifter via Twitch. It ran at an absolute treacle pace on a recent core I5 and a 1060 6gb. Off I go to find the problem. It transpires it was a known bug and patched for Steam users, but no luck for those playing via Twitch. No public patch to download and incompatible with the Steam release. Not the end of the world but made me realise unless a public patch gets a release from the developer then there can be disparity for patches and the like for the same game across different store fronts. It's been the only game up to now that I've ran into a problem with and would imagine the bigger more sales oriented stores will be on the ball but still a needless hassle. I suppose it rankled a bit due to having Steam just auto update the majority of my PC gamess library.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just buy the game at a later date nice and cheap from a key site and whack it onto your Steam account. 

 

No need to all become drama queens. The game doesn’t even look that great anyway.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, amc said:

Only recently coming back to PC gaming I'd forgotten how fragmentation of stores can be a pain. I use several places for my library what with being a Twitch Prime user, an Origin Access subscriber and a Steam buyer oh and now a tentative Epic consumer, thanks to the free Ethan Carter. All was going fine until I tried to play Hyper Light Drifter via Twitch. It ran at an absolute treacle pace on a recent core I5 and a 1060 6gb. Off I go to find the problem. It transpires it was a known bug and patched for Steam users, but no luck for those playing via Twitch. No public patch to download and incompatible with the Steam release. Not the end of the world but made me realise unless a public patch gets a release from the developer then there can be disparity for patches and the like for the same game across different store fronts. It's been the only game up to now that I've ran into a problem with and would imagine the bigger more sales oriented stores will be on the ball but still a needless hassle. I suppose it rankled a bit due to having Steam just auto update the majority of my PC gamess library.

 

No Man's Sky between Steam and Gog is a classic example for this. I don't think Gog users (Myself one of them) have gotten the multiplayer yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Flub said:

Has anyone done a meta launcher for all the different apps so we can keep our games list in one place?

 

There is apparently one, can't think of the name of it though (so obviously this is not a helpful post).

 

5 hours ago, mushashi said:

 

How else do you get customers to use your new fangled alternative distribution platform? Valve have a de facto monopoly on PC game distribution for the vast majority of titles and huge inertia due to network effects and existing library lock-in. The only way to hope to break through that inertia is to force people to use your alternative, as giving them the option of using Valve will mean laziness will overcome even cheaper pricing, as the growing digital share on console can attest.

 

A lot of the ire in the ResetEra thread (it was about Rebel Galaxy being exclusive) was the fact that a) the developers were trying to present locked-in exclusivity - with the completely barebones Epic storefront - as being a good thing for consumers (rather than admitting they got offered good money to be exclusive - which is perfectly fine for them to do) and b) what possible reason would Epic have to actually add features to their storefront if they are happy to buy their way to having a healthy number of users?

 

I presume they must be intending to add cloud saves at some point, but to launch without it is incredibly backward and shows a bit of contempt for customers, I think (directing people to the Steam forums to raise bugs and such because they don't offer any forums of their own is another farce). Over the years Steam has continued to add new features, even without having had serious competition - they haven't just sat still, making Epic's effort look even more lo-rent.

 

Steam has a lot that can be improved (the storefront being the obvious one, better options for maintaining a wishlist another that bug me in particular) - but it is still a number of useful functions. If Epic being around changes the percentage cut that developers get then that will be good for all I suppose but otherwise the main draw they have is price (which I accept will be enough for a lot of people).

  • Empathy 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

(directing people to the Steam forums to raise bugs and such because they don't offer any forums of their own is another farce).

 

I don't see why people are asking for forums as part of a storefront, it feels like I've fallen into an alternate world where everyone loved Ping, the Social Network built into iTunes.

 

Surely you're just asking for customer support? Also LOL at calling a missing feature "contempt" as if it's a personal attack.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steam forums are a trash fire and why people would want more of them I genuinely have no idea.

 

Devs can direct their Epic customers to anywhere they want for customer support - email, their Discord server, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit etc. They can’t stop people buying the game on Epic then posting on the Steam forums about it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Hitcher said:

PC gamers - buy a console. :eyebrows:

 

I'd rather i stall Epic Store than buy a whole new system depending on the exclusives :blah:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Flub said:

I'm interested in playing this on PC but at the present time and release schedule of other stuff not enough to prioritise. Even at 39 quid on CDKeys. I *suspect* that post launch the price will drop quite a bit anyway. Is the Metro fanbase large enough (Especially on PC) to hold a 40-50 price for long?

 

If I was super hyped to play it right now it being on the Epic store wouldn't stop me though. It'd just be slightly annoying. Has anyone done a meta launcher for all the different apps so we can keep our games list in one place?

 

Playnite is the meta launcher that I use. Has worked perfectly well so far and seems to be supported with updates and new features planned.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Flub said:

 

No Man's Sky between Steam and Gog is a classic example for this. I don't think Gog users (Myself one of them) have gotten the multiplayer yet.

 

This isn't just a PC problem, I've had the same problem on Android where I bought a game and the developer can't be bothered to upload a new version on Amazon to keep it in sync with STEAM the Google Play Store version, but I believe that might also be down to the allegations that Amazon don't treat app developers that well on their distribution platform and it is a tiny fraction of their total sales.

 

Which does sort of illustrate how de facto monopolies have an advantage in the end-user's eyes :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.