gospvg

Metro Exodus - First on the Epic Store

Played this at EGX today, highlight of the show and it’s rocketed up my “want” list.

Got a full 20 minutes hands on and a real feel for the combat and overall atmosphere. Graphically it’s on another level. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, U-1 said:

Played this at EGX today, highlight of the show and it’s rocketed up my “want” list.

Got a full 20 minutes hands on and a real feel for the combat and overall atmosphere. Graphically it’s on another level. 

Nice, it's one of the titles I pre-ordered from Argentina before Microsoft stopped buying via the VPN method. £15 for the Gold Edition!

The game is now gold, released on the 15th February:

Which is also the day the following games are released to:

Crackdown 3

Far Cry New Dawn

Anthem - for Origin Access Premier members (full release is 22nd)

Dead or Alive 6

• Upvote 1

Last Night Redux and  2033 Redux are £4 each in the PSN sale - are they worth playing before Exodus comes out? And I mean are they worth playing, not just buy them for the sake of them being cheaper than a pint.

As much as I liked the atmosphere back when it was brand new on PC and the lighting looked light years ahead of anything else (and thus being VERY taxing on any rig), when I fired up 2033 Redux on Xbox earlier this year I found it real hard to go back to. So I'd say no.

I’d say both can be difficult to like. It’s a rather stoic affair with gunplay that definitely feels old fashioned. But if you are in it for the story and the sheer bleakness of the world it’s set in, you’re in for a treat. I recommend Last Light over 2033.

• Upvote 1

Yes I think they're worth playing. They still hold up as solid 7/10 or 8/10 games (though make sure you get the redux versions). Atmospherically they're great and the gunplay is decent. They have a survival horror aspect in that ammo/resources are limited too. If you like games like Fallout, Stalker etc then you'll appreciate the setting a lot. I wouldn't spend time on them if there's 9/10 games out there for you to play, but if you've got entertainment time to burn they aren't a bad choice. I appreciated them and I only played them this year.

I'm replaying the first two in preparation and by God does the first one have some bloody awful stealth sections in it.

Apart from that, 2033 is brilliant and Redux looks amazing on the bone 

Impressions from SkillUp, who has played four hours of the game:

Preview article from Squarexo , their final impressions from the write up:

Metro Exodus is a game I have been waiting for since finishing Last Light, which I did during release week, in Russian (a language I don’t even speak), because I threw myself into the universe and didn’t want to come out. Getting my hands on this third game in the series has cleared up the few worries that I had and reignited the burning itch I have to jump back into Artyom’s shoes. The open-world exploration is executed very well, it handles excellently and, despite getting a chance to look at the open skies over Russia for the first time in Artyom’s life (well, without any storm clouds or threat of demons attacking him), this still very much feels like a Metro game.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!! 

Yup. Exodus seems to have more outdoor game play compared with the previous ones and thats fine by me :omg:

Impressions of the 4 hour beta demo that journalists got to play are out. The reception has been positive although I wouldn't say its perfect. To sum up, the open levels are supposed to be great, the game is still very immersive. Quests can lead to more traditional scripted encounters similar in feel to the original games. Survival element is still very much there with you always scavenging and scrounging for ammo. Visuals are amazing. Downsides are it is a bit janky, the AI is poor and gunplay probably won't be its strong suit. I'd say it sounds really good but may not quite be up to the 90% review score range. Still, it sounds like they've nailed the things I liked about the originals, atmosphere, world design and survival, so I reckon this will be great for peeps who like this stuff and don't mind a bit of generic game design/jankiness. Also props to the devs that they have managed to make the massive open levels work, even with vehicles, much more Stalker in scope than Metro.

Good impressions here although it should be noted not everyone has been as enthusiastic as this guy.

• Upvote 2

Metro Exodus will only release on the Epic Store, but Steam preorders will be honoured

Update: A later press release we received from Deep Silver explained that the game will return to Steam a year after release. "Metro Exodus will return to Steam and on other store fronts after 14 February 2020." 

Original story: Metro Exodus will release "solely" on the Epic Games Store when it launches on February 15, Epic and publisher Deep Silver have revealed today. This follows news from earlier this month where it was revealed The Division 2 was coming to Epic's store as part of a multi-game agreement with Ubisoft. 

If you have already preordered the game on Steam, you'll get to play it on there. Epic's exact words on that subject are that "any customer with an outstanding preorder for Metro Exodus on PC through any digital retailer will receive their game as expected." 

You can currently preorder on Steam, but not for long it seems. You'll find this notice now: "Later today, sales of Metro Exodus will be discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store. The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam. We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know."

Intriguingly, the game will cost $50 on Epic's store in the US, when it was originally listed on Steam for the usual $59.99. Epic's competitive revenue split of 88/12 is hinted to be the reason behind the leaner price. "We are delighted to partner with Epic to bring the digital PC version of Metro Exodus to market," comments Deep Silver CEO Klemens Kundratitz. "Epic's generous revenue terms are a game changer that will allow publishers to invest more into content creation, or pass on savings to the players. By teaming up with Epic we will be able to invest more into the future of Metro and our ongoing partnership with series developer 4A Games, to the benefit of our Metro fans." The price in the UK remains unchanged at £50, though.

Both the regular and gold editions will be available for purchase on the Epic Games Store, if you enjoy soundtracks and digital art books. The previous Metro games will also be added to the retailer later in 2019. 

2020 it is then! :lol:

As I've said elsewhere I've gone full circle in my stance on the whole 'multiple storefronts/launchers' thing. I really don't care for 'competition' when that competition doesn't even provide half the features Steam currently has. So while it sucks that Exodus won't arrive straight away I have no problems waiting longer in order to have it in the same library where I own the first two games on. It's only going to get better over time I imagine and by then I'm sure they'll hit Steam with a GOTY edition or some shit. 

• Empathy 2

I'm not sure I really understand why certain gamers are so outraged about these Epic Store exclusives. It's not like you're having to shell out for a whole new system like with console exclusives. Is it just OCD types wanting all their books on the same shelf? I'd rather developers get a higher share of the profit, myself.

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I'm not sure I really understand why certain gamers are so outraged about these Epic Store exclusives. It's not like you're having to shell out for a whole new system like with console exclusives. Is it just OCD types wanting all their books on the same shelf? I'd rather developers get a higher share of the profit, myself.

Fuck developers. I'm a gamer and I'm entitled. I HAVE RIGHTS GODDAMNIT! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ann coulter said:

Actually this isn't taking into account that Steam isn't the only place you buy Steam games. Steam game key are cheaper on the humble store, CD keys, GMG and loads of other sites than on the steam store. I've even bought steam keys on amazon for significantly less than Steam.

On the Epic store - you can only buy from Epic at this point in time. 

So Metro releases at £50 - that is the single price you will pay. No shopping around and saving £10-20 off the RRP. Sure devs get more - but unless you like paying full price, you get fucked. 

• Empathy 1

19 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Actually this isn't taking into account that Steam isn't the only place you buy Steam keys. Steam games are cheaper on the humble store, CD keys, GMG and loads of other sites. I've bought steam keys on amazon for significantly less than Steam.

On the Epic store - you can only buy from Epic.

So if Metro releases at £50 - that is the single price you will pay. No shopping around and saving £10-20 off the RRP. Sure devs get more - but unless you like paying full price, you get fucked.

That's a good point. I believe Metro is $50 on the Epic Store compared to the $60 price point Steam were charging, so there's already a saving as a result of the store's reduced cut. But there's a short-term loss of choice for the consumer, true. Competition doesn't just happen instantly though. It's a back and forth thing. All Steam needs to do is drop its cut to 10% and there's no longer an incentive for publishers to go exclusive to Epic, the result of which would be more choice for consumers and more profit for publishers/developers. Which is why this kind of competition, albeit not instant, is so important in the long run. Valve has had it easy for far, far too long.