rllmuk
Gorf King

Anthem

If anyone is playing on the PS4, feel free to invite me to games! I’m having quite a bit of fun on this and really like what I have played so far. Would be nice to play some strongholds with mukkers. :) 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

The jump on gear from epic to masterwork is huge, I'm almost fully kitted on MW now and in hard mode i get barely scratched and everything dies instantly. 

Yeah I just got my first masterwork and it’s like, Christ, where’s this stuff been for the past 30 hours? An interesting gun. Heavens. 

32 minutes ago, Racoon said:

I think more frustratingly than the 6 years in development thing you mentioned is the fact in these 6 years they have had incredible forerunners to learn from and just haven't. Both Destiny and Division have been on these roller coaster journeys to get to where they are now - stable, fun looter shooters with a satisfying gameplay loop. Anthem just seems to have ignored all these issues and in some cases seems to have regressed. A fine example - in the launch trailer way back when we see a Freelancer in a Ranger javelin drop a bunch of Scars and then get rewarded (praise be to RNGesus) with a legendary weapon, it revealed that weapon and she was immediately able to equip it. How have we got a few years on and Bioware have decided that actually why would players want to see what their loot drop is as it drops? Why would players then immediately want to be able to equip said item and use it right away? Instead they are definitely going to want to exit out of their activity (loading screen) look at a stupid end of activity reward screen, have the item revealed but I can't equip it (loading screen) back to Fort Tarsis and then click on Forge (loading screen) and finally I can equip it. Now I want to use it....well that's back to Fort Tarsis (loading screen) and back to the activity selection screen and out into the world (loading screen). How did they arrive at this!? Any immersion I ever garnered has had it's face stoves in with massive loading shaped shovel. 

@Kiwi Cake hit the nail on the head. What a shame.

I think it'll be interesting to read some behind the scenes post-mortems of this game in the future as everything about it screams a project that made Destiny’s troubled development look like plain sailing. As with the post-mortems of every other EA game this gen I suspect it'll consist of lots of devs complaining about being made to use Frostbite. There's no way they set out to make Loading Screen Simulator 2019, likewise I find it hard to believe that the current bonkers loot collecting/equipping system was something they intended, more so now you've reminded of how it was originally presented at E3.

I wonder if the sheer variety of weapons mods they make in these game (i.e. cosmetics) have forced the hand of some of these design decisions. Like, you can't randomly swap weapons in and out because they intend there to be like a bazillion of them so they force you to pick them up front? On Destiny when you open your inventory, all the little squares are blank til it loads in, and sometimes when you equip a weapon it is invisible for a few seconds. Maybe they couldn't even manage that in Anthem? Pure speculation, of course.

3 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

I played a bit last night with a friend, much much better if you set games to private and just coop with a friend so you can take a bit more time.
I'm really enjoying it, it's a bit janky but you'd think it had kidnapped Madeline McCan by the reactions people are having.

I prefer "you'd think it'd fucked your mum, wiped its cock on the curtains and told you to make it a fucking sandwich."

• Upvote 2

The best tip I can give is, if you arent playing with friends, just set missions to private and take your time, it's loads better :)
I'm rather enjoying soaking in the atmosphere and taking my time rather than racing to be the highest number quickest.

• Upvote 2

Games are complicated, right? Especially ones made by huge studios under pressure from large corporate interests. The politics at BioWare after Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda must have been pretty intense, and the need to get Anthem "right" could have led to a lot of decisions being made that would possibly have been resisted at a different time in the studios life. People like Casey Hudson leaving 2 years in then coming back again as project lead and studio head 3 years after that, would likely have had major effects on the project. What does six years of development actually mean, anyway? How related is this game to the version they originally specced out all that time ago?

Too many chefs and all that. I imagine most of the issues were flagged, probably repeatedly, but were either ignored because of some nebulous "data" from corporate or because there simply wasn't time to fix it and they were already committed.

It's sadly not as easy as looking at another game and going "well that's a great idea let's add that in". How did the other team do it? Can you do it in your engine without breaking a dozen other things? Anthem would benefit massively from Apex's ping system and that's another EA studio, but how often do the two talk? Probably never.

Sometimes I read about game development and it seems more and more incredible that anything good ever gets made than it does that games end up becoming a confused jumble like Anthem seems to have done.

• Upvote 7

This just strikes me as another game where the early adopters pay a premium to help iron out the flaws. I didn’t enjoy the demo but I didn’t actively hate it; there’s a good game crying out to be played but the obfuscation is apparent at present. Cutting down on the loading screens, adding more content and dealing with the initial gripes will go so way to rectifying this. Problem is, will it all come too late? Hope not, BioWare’s heritage deserves better even if recent output doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Yeah I just got my first masterwork and it’s like, Christ, where’s this stuff been for the past 30 hours? An interesting gun. Heavens. 

This guy brings up an interesting idea that would have alleviated this:

For those not interested in watching from where the video is timestamped, he says there should have been a quest where you get to use a Masterwork for a bit. Like, maybe another Freelancer has lost his masterwork gun and you need to go find it for him, and then you can use it before you bring it back to him, whereby he tells you "yeah, these are the best of the best, keep going and someday you'll get your own" or whatever.

I played this for 12 hours or so almost yesterday, and I enjoyed it, and will likely play another 12 hours today (If I can). The biggest issue the game has is its trying to be a single player rpg alongside a multiplayer online shooter, and that is a problem when you want to play with friends, due to reading lore, talking to npcs when your mates want you to hurry up and go shoot things in the face.

13 hours ago, df0 said:

Are you daft or deliberately obnoxious? There are literally white capitalized letters on the thumbnail that are very much in compliance with the rules of clickbait.

Yeah, its clickbait due to the massive writing in the thumbnail, but the idea he had in the video about masterworks is spot on, and a missed opportunity.

You may as well have stuck #driveby under the quote though @Harsin. Another missed opportunity.

1 minute ago, VN1X said:

Some capitalised letters in a thumbnail? Worthless content! Read this 12 paragraph dissertation where the same point is repeated over and over again instead! 

And it'd still be an awful lot quicker than watching Skill Up's 45-minute self-indulgent bloatathon. 

It was a joke because I found df0's post in the the thread funny so thought I'd repost it. You (EDIT: Ben not Gorf) must have liked it because you possed it last night when it was used against a different thumbnail following the same format.

Yeah, it's pretty good when you get past the awkward RPG/co-op structure, and the sometimes awful UI and loading screens. It's running a lot more stably and the looting and levelling's good fun, on top of the combat, which is quite moreish. I suspect some more proper issues will be revealed in endgame, as is usually the case with games like this at launch. But for now, yeah, it's very enjoyable, if quite obviously badly flawed.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Harsin said:

It was a joke because I found df0's post in the the thread funny last night so thought I'd repost it. You must have liked it because you possed it last night when it was used against a different thumbnail.

Yeah, @df0 post was correct. The vid I posted was only used for the timestamp about masterworks though, not for the actual full video of the guy ranting about how people are ragging on the game or whatever. He just had an interesting idea, and I also posted underneath what he actually said as well if people didnt want to watch it.

Always show your reference material innit.

14 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Some capitalised letters in a thumbnail? Worthless content! Read this 12 paragraph dissertation where the same point is repeated over and over again instead! 

Fucking hell, how old are you?

• Empathy 1

10 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

And it'd still be an awful lot quicker than watching Skill Up's 45-minute self-indulgent bloatathon. 

Depends on the reading speed of your audience i’d guess...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Fucking hell, how old are you?

Young enough not to dismiss content on the basis of a picture, grandpa. "Those dastardly youtubers and their clickbait arg!!1"

If that were the case Anthem would've dead in the water for me as soon as that microtransaction-filled store page leaked.

• Downvote 3

On the one hand, bitter and broken sadbrain nerds have had it in for Bioware ever since that which shall not be named and descend on them like a pack of rabid dogs whenever they make any kind of error or slip up. Plus it's fair to say almost everyone and their dog despises EA and gleefully await the day they finally depart this plane of existence.

On the other though, if that thing about the loading times where it takes nearly 3 minutes of screen switching and load screens just to check out a new piece of gear is true, then there aren't enough "I'M OUT"s in the world for me.

Credit where it's due, with everything running in full whack, it can be an extraordinarily pretty game. The facial animation on the real time cut scenes is wonderful (not so much when you're just having random chats in Tarsis though - they suffer hugely in the comparison). 

24 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

On the one hand, bitter and broken sadbrain nerds have had it in for Bioware ever since that which shall not be named and descend on them like a pack of rabid dogs whenever they make any kind of error or slip up. Plus it's fair to say almost everyone and their dog despises EA and gleefully await the day they finally depart this plane of existence.

On the other though, if that thing about the loading times where it takes nearly 3 minutes of screen switching and load screens just to check out a new piece of gear is true, then there aren't enough "I'M OUT"s in the world for me.

Its not. There's only 2 load screens after a mission to check a piece of gear (one to go back to fort tarsis, the other to enter the forge). There's actually only one load screen (to load into fort tarsis) if you only want to look at the guns stats - go to the armoury instead of the forge - Its on the far left while looking at your javelin.

57 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

I enjoyed that