rllmuk
Gorf King

Anthem

Kept my pre-order with Shopto in the end. I enjoyed the general gameplay in the demo and feel like this will be worth playing through despite the issues raised to date. 

Devs seem pretty pro-active so far and committed to responding to community feedback so I’m prepared to give it a go. Hopefully see some of you on PS4. 

• Upvote 1

Aye, there's a few of us giving it a go on the basis that we've enjoyed the squad based combat and flying stuff, and are prepared to sit out the content droughts and dip in and out as new stuff's released. I just hope they get some of the stability and performance issues sorted out over the next few weeks. The episodic storytelling could work too, as long as they have, as they claim, basically got that mapped out over the next year.

The main bit of the review above that I agree with is that the story stuff sits oddly in structure with the team-based co-op stuff. I think most of the lot I play with will be doing most of the story solo so they can watch all the cutscenes and read the lore it throws at you without being interrupted too much.

I think the thing that shocks me most about this project is that they were making a Destiny style MMO-lite and didn’t realise that players would expect a shared social space so had to cobble together a half-arsed room players could hang out in a few weeks before release.

One passage in that Ars Technica review is brutal:

Much of Anthem's plot is doled out via long chats that are punctuated by required responses. That's a weird thing to deal with between every mission in a game that inherently encourages you to party up with friends (via XP bonuses for multiplayer play, for example).

So you'll finish a mission, go back to the hub, and then take your time trudging slowly through Fort Tarsis to get into some meaty conversations. If you care about the plot, you should probably mute your friends' voices so their cross-talk about loadouts and next steps doesn't get in the way of the story. That means you'll be cut off from your friends for a decent amount of time, as each walk-and-chat break takes anywhere from two to six minutes.

That would absolutely kill it for me. You can't stop chatting to your friends for six minutes to watch a mini sci-fi film when playing a co-op shooter. It would be madly awkward.

Fair enough, but do we to think the story will be remotely interesting enough to actively follow it? It’s bound to be nothing more elaborate than Space Evil Does Evil Things.

I'm finding the story to be pretty entertaining. There are some decent characters and it gets better as it goes along (not sure what the ending will be like). I once spent 30 minutes talking to people in Fort Tarsis - I think there were 7 or 8 npcs to talk to in total, all spread out over the city. It's completely at odds with the rest of the game and just flat out doesn't work in a co op game.

Yeah, it's not the cinematics - doing what K says is perfectly doable, you just shut up when there's a cut scene and watch together, like you do in Destiny or whatever - it's all the stuff after that's optional, wandering around talking to NPCs and reading lore and stuff, that you're unlikely to sync up.

Forgot I preordered this some time ago on xbox for £32 and just realised shopto have taken the money. 

Luckily Cex are offering £36 cash trade in so Im actually making money. 

God bless Cex! 

Stil very undecided about this. Destiny 1 was despite all its faults an absolute blast with mukkers, for many weeks it was the only game I played with people from here. How many of you on PS4 are buying this?

the fact it sounds like an utter shit show of loading, terrible gameplay  decisions, more loading and combat encounters that by all accounts sounds incredibly repetitious after a while, and a terrible hub has turned me completely off.

After Battlefront 2 and BFV's uproar, I cant believe this hasn't been met with a mob brandishing pitchforks and torches. Pre ordering to get on a Beta is the norm these days, but the poor people who subscribe to that Orgin Bollocks Premium to be graced with an un finished version and no patch a week early, once again this fucking company is using its premium customers to play test, again is just taking the piss,  under this guise of paying a premium for the so called privilege.

The game is unfinished and stinks of another release  before its ready, and that I'm not paying for.... again.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Dave White said:

the fact it sounds like an utter shit show of loading, terrible gameplay  decisions, more loading and combat encounters that by all accounts sounds incredibly repetitious after a while, and a terrible hub has turned me completely off.

After Battlefront 2 and BFV's uproar, I cant believe this hasn't been met with a mob brandishing pitchforks and torches. Pre ordering to get on a Beta is the norm these days, but the poor people who subscribe to that Orgin Bollocks Premium to be graced with an un finished version and no patch a week early, once again this fucking company is using its premium customers to play test, again is just taking the piss,  under this guise of paying a premium for the so called privilege.

The game is unfinished and stinks of another release  before its ready, and that I'm not paying for.... again.

Yup. I only have myself to blame of course but I still feel cheated out of my money by this fucking scam.

No other digital medium just shits out barely or non-working products like the videogame industry does. It's a joke. Handshakes all around. 

2 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Yup. I only have myself to blame of course but I still feel cheated out of my money by this fucking scam.

No other digital medium just shits out barely or non-working products like the videogame industry does. It's a joke. Handshakes all around. 

totally, its an utter disgrace and there needs to be a massive backlash, not the knee jerk I don't like the ending BioWare kind of thing, but for this disgusting rip off of sub standard unfinished products. Making customers feel worthless and ripped off needs to get back to them with a boycott.

You wonder at times is this us, the user, seeing the disadvantage of "online" and digital download medium.

Companies have deadlines and deliver these unfinished games, in the hope they have done enough to see users stick around for a "day one" patch or further patching down the line.

Least Valve are taking their time to complete a bug-free HL3

• Upvote 1

I might take a punt on it if I had the slightest faith that EA would provide regular quality ongoing support for the game. After ME:A, BF2 and BF5, I should coco.

EA in particular seem pretty bad for shoving stuff out early without features even previous iterations of the same franchise had, sticking those in the roadmap, and then inevitably cancelling most of the roadmap when the game underperforms because everyone knows it's essentially Early Access and stays away.

You think at some point they'd look at these repeated failures, and the success of finished game Apex Legends and put 2 and 2 together.

Or can your next single-player campaign mode and traditional multi-map multi-mode multiplayer game and instead spend that time on somethings you can get out of the door in a polished state, because that is what the market is responding to instead ;)

Didn't Titanfall 2 get out of the door in a polished state? I thought it did. The market didn't respond terribly well to that, but it certainly has responded well to a free-to-play Battle Royale spinoff that's now being pointed to as a lesson from which other developers should learn.

Warframe seems to be doing ok for its developers too, and is often cited by some as a model that developers of other looter shooters should learn from. That's still in beta after almost six years and is riddled by bugs, its endgame having been removed altogether because the developers couldn't maintain or fix it.

Seems there are a lot of conflicting lessons to be learnt here. I'm not sure the market teaches all the right ones.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Warframe seems to be doing ok for its developers too, and is often cited by some as a model that developers of other looter shooters should learn from. That's still in beta after almost six years and is riddled by bugs, its endgame having been removed altogether because the developers couldn't maintain or fix it.

You say this but I've seen more bugs and issues in my 5 hours of Anthem than I have in the 500 I have spent with Warframe. 

The state Anthem is in is inexcusable and the fact that it's all so barebones after six years of development time is mind boggling. 

• Downvote 2

Their big drive to lower costs is why everything feels increasingly cheap and cut down, Battlefield has fewer maps and modes every year, etc.

Anthem itself seems like it's no exception, there's apparently three armour sets per class and very few cosmetic weapon variations in a loot game, a grand total of 7 story missions, and 2 of those are re-used for the endgame content (I have an inkling the 3rd one was originally in the campaign where that tombs grind list is inserted, before they realised having no unique endgame content would look bad).

The whole game seems to be slightly bigger than a Vicarious Visions outsourced D2 expansion.

21 minutes ago, VN1X said:

You say this but I've seen more bugs in my 5 hours of Anthem than I have in the 500 I have spent on Warframe. 

The state Anthem is in is inexcusable and the fact that it's all so barebones after six years of development time is mind boggling. 

You haven't seen the bugs I've seen in Warframe then.

Sure, Anthem has been buggy as shit for me as well. But Anthem isn't properly released till Friday. Warframe's not just been in development, but has actually been out on release for almost six years. They literally removed all the endgame content a year ago because it was so broken they admitted they probably couldn't fix it and didn't have time to devote to it (they have plenty of time to develop new prime access packs for people to buy, though). Yet a lot of people seem to be happy with that game to the extent that they chuck a lot more money at it than they have at something like Anthem.

I'm quietly confident that Anthem will be a bit of a mess at launch. Maybe a lot of a mess. I like the combat and some of the other actual gameplay enough dive in on day one for the rollercoaster of it all; however, I wouldn't advise anyone who's not wide awake to what it is to buy it on release. But I do hope they get enough support, and revenue, to develop the game into what I hope it might become over the next few months - though Harsin's scepticism might be well-founded. Wait and see is the wisest position to take, but dive in and see is fine if you're prepared to take the knocks.

What I don't think is quite such a great position is literally calling for a lynch mob, as some of our resident commentators have done, or indulging in some of the fantasies we might have about other 'finished' products. After all, Destiny 1 at vanilla was very far from finished, yet I don't regret buying that at launch one little bit, because that early entry provided me with some of the genuinely greatest moments of gaming I (and, I know, others who played with me) have ever experienced. And I wouldn't have got that early Vault of Glass moment, or the blind Crota runs and all the rest of it, had I waited a year until the game was 'finished'.

I doubt this game will give me anything like that, but sometimes you swing and miss. I'd very much like to take a swing though - there's enough there in the basic gamely loops to tell me the game appeals at a fundamental level. I just need to see it improve greatly on a lot of other levels - stability, performance, and UI being three, but also obvious stuff like additional content, and perhaps less obvious stuff that's already coming to light such as balancing and reward structures. Not sure that'll ever be done, but it's not the sort of game you want to sit out until it's 'finished'. It's also not the sort of game that has the same development and support demands as, say, a battle royale game.

I dunno, I might end up taking a dim view of the game, having rinsed it and sampled the first few content drops. That's quite possible. But I don't think the appropriate course of action is to call for a lynching. Maybe just don't buy it - that alone might be enough to do the title in if you feel that strongly that games should never be released unfinished or unpolished.

But if that were the case, no-one would ever have played Warframe. And that's a fact.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

You haven't seen the bugs I've seen in Warframe then.

Sure, Anthem has been buggy as shit for me as well. But Anthem isn't properly released till Friday. Warframe's not just been in development, but has actually been out on release for almost six years. They literally removed all the endgame content a year ago because it was so broken they admitted they probably couldn't fix it and didn't have time to devote to it (they have plenty of time to develop new prime access packs for people to buy, though). Yet a lot of people seem to be happy with that game to the extent that they chuck a lot more money at it than they have at something like Anthem.

I'm quietly confident that Anthem will be a bit of a mess at launch. Maybe a lot of a mess. I like the combat and some of the other actual gameplay enough dive in on day one for the rollercoaster of it all; however, I wouldn't advise anyone who's not wide awake to what it is to buy it on release. But I do hope they get enough support, and revenue, to develop the game into what I hope it might become over the next few months - though Harsin's scepticism might be well-founded. Wait and see is the wisest position to take, but dive in and see is fine if you're prepared to take the knocks.

What I don't think is quite such a great position is literally calling for a lynch mob, as some of our resident commentators have done, or indulging in some of the fantasies we might have about other 'finished' products. After all, Destiny 1 at vanilla was very far from finished, yet I don't regret buying that at launch one little bit, because that early entry provided me with some of that are genuinely the greatest moments of gaming I (and, I know, others who played with me) have ever experienced. And I wouldn't have got that early Vault of Glass moment, or the blind Crota runs and all the rest of it, had I waited a year until the game was 'finished'.

I doubt this game will give me anything like that, but sometimes you swing and miss. I'd very much like to take a swing though - there's enough there in the basic gamely loops to tell me the game appeals at a fundamental level. I just need to see it improve greatly on a lot of other levels - stability, performance, and UI being three, but also obvious stuff like additional content, and perhaps less obvious stuff that's already coming to light such as balancing and reward structures. Not sure that'll ever be done, but it's not the sort of game you want to sit out until it's 'finished'. It's also not the sort of game that has the same development and support demands as, say, a battle royale game.

I dunno, I might end up taking a dim view of the game, having rinsed it and sampled the first few content drops. That's quite possible. But I don't think the appropriate course of action is to call for a lynching. Maybe just don't buy it - that alone might be enough to do the title in if you feel that strongly that games should never be released unfinished or unpolished.

But if that were the case, no-one would ever have played Warframe. And that's a fact.

come on fella, the state of asking people to pay for unfinished  games is a travesty,  would it be cool to pay for an album thats full of mistakes and sounds that aren't part of the composition,  or a sausage roll with no sausage in it ( no Greggs vegan jokes intended)  enough is enough. like everyone in here I love games but the culture of being fleeced is not sitting well with me, and I'll quite happily avoid purchasing based on these complacent piss takers.

1 minute ago, Dave White said:

come on fella, the state of asking people to pay for unfinished  games is a travesty,  would it be cool to pay for an album thats full of mistakes and sounds that aren't part of the composition

That's a bit harsh. If you want your money back or something you could always have PM'd me.

Jesus.

20 minutes ago, Dave White said:

come on fella, the state of asking people to pay for unfinished  games is a travesty,  would it be cool to pay for an album thats full of mistakes and sounds that aren't part of the composition,  or a sausage roll with no sausage in it ( no Greggs vegan jokes intended)  enough is enough. like everyone in here I love games but the culture of being fleeced is not sitting well with me, and I'll quite happily avoid purchasing based on these complacent piss takers.

Captain Beefheart made an honourable living out of it ;)

Anthem’s actual gameplay is fine. The shooting and flying is decent. The game world is quite captivating. Beyond that it has significant flaws. The lack of content and the lack of diverse content is of major concern. Perhaps it’s being held back but there’s just nowhere enough in the game currently. The beauty of Destiny was the unforgettable design and traits of the weapons. Anthem is a bit like The Division and it’s full of generic guns that have no character. The hub areas are in one case muddled with a seriously low frame rate and the other is an afterthought that was clearly stuck in last minute. The loading times are really bad and they are numerous.

I’d love another looter shooter right now but I just can’t convince myself to buy this. I’ll accept something that is clearly undercooked but this game has a startling lack of variation. At least with Destiny I embraced the grind from the start trying to get a Gjallahorn or whatever but I’m not really into grinding for a generic machine gun.

47 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Their big drive to lower costs is why everything feels increasingly cheap and cut down, Battlefield has fewer maps and modes every year, etc.

But isn't this problem also explainable by the mere fact that expectations keep on rising inexorably in terms of production values for premium games? You can't build the same amount of content these days with the same amount of people due to the simple fact everything has to be done at a much higher level of fidelity, so even with more bodies being thrown at the problem, it's a losing battle or you have to go full Rockstar, and nobody but Rockstar can afford to go full Rockstar.

EA pay the wages of over 9000 people every year, a number which is higher than it used to be, so their costs are going in the wrong direction anyway.

Some of the comments I read about upcoming games from other smaller less financially strong developers just illustrates the problem doesn't originate from publisher demands, more customer demand led.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it's all those pesky customers and their insane demands, like a finished product, and absolutely nothing to do with poor management concerned only with making shareholders happy. It's the shareholders that count, after all.

• Upvote 1