rllmuk
Gorf King

Anthem

You should have tried the missions. They're matchmade. The free roam part is a bit weak, especially with randoms, because they (or you) are likely to just wander off and not actually play as a group - and there's not much to do anyway bar the random world events and those little mini-dungeon things. It feels like you're playing solo most of the time, in a fairly empty map. From what we've seen in the demo, I'd say the free roam is the weakest part, and the contracts/story missions/strongholds at least give you a focus for the gameplay. So I wouldn't judge it based entirely on a brief experience of that mode.

Had no problems loading or getting a game first time, runs perfectly too. Just not sure if I like it or not. Died so easily on a first tutorial mission.

Server error for me on first launch, ok after that but framerate is awful and it just feels so janky to control - I’m defi looking for the negatives as I don’t want to buy it but would if I enjoyed it. I don’t.

9 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Server error for me on first launch, ok after that but framerate is awful and it just feels so janky to control - I’m defi looking for the negatives as I don’t want to buy it but would if I enjoyed it. I don’t.

This is only being played because people want it to be good. That hype machine by EA and hoping that Bioware haven't been chewed up by the EA process machine. Which regrettably they have.

2 hard crashes on the PS4 Pro. Can’t say I’m impressed with it. Looks average and no where near what’s typically demoed so I’m assuming it’s quite a gulf between even an average PC and the PS Pro. UI has to be one of the clumsiest I’ve seen in a while too.

I was between this and The Division 2 (loved the first one) Think I’ll wait for TD2 now. Can’t say I’m not a bit disappointed. Anthem looked like it would be my ideal game.

Works better than the VIP demo, not had the old 95% bug however I did have the game freeze up during a cutscene, then I had the sound on my PS4 cut out and had to reset and finally the hud got stuck in the ultimate ability state and I had to play the rest of the mission looking thru what looked like an over designed camera lens.

My pre-order stands but I hope this kind of thing is ironed out for full release.

its been stable for me so far.

I kind of want to like it and there is lots to like, also there is lots to not. 1 game of free roam had me shooting away at 2 large critters for a world event,  with no AI evident, second try they did start throwing things at me and showing some kind of response.

The world really is beautiful, all 70's sci fi painting vibes, but it feels so sparse, like they've built the game around the locales. I just hope there is a decent game in there and end game offers reward and fulfilled replays. The Edge interview seemed to state that weather, time of day and the likes would affect a replay of an event with modifiers being applied.

If this is reaching out as a mass appeal loot em up like the D word, the whole game, systems, crafting and the likes really aren't explained and I am concerned with the depth and reward of continued play. They need to start dropping videos explaining the game and whats in store, story missions locales, systems, end game etc.

I hate to be a cynical git but it really does look like they've cookie cut so much of this from Destiny and the base gunplay isn't on par, and I just don't know how you can use a template but get the shooting mechanics so off and unrewarding in comparison .

Based on this Beta its a 7 and I do hope the build they are running is so far down the line, but I just don't reckon.

Yup, uninstalled now. Tried it again, ran a bit better (probably was so shit earlier cause I'd made the mistake of tabbing out once), but this time the server just shut down while in the middle of a stronghold game. I am not investing any more time in this, it's a sad state of affairs.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

It just crashed on us mid Stronghold. The state of this... :lol:

Oddly enough the game runs great at a (near) solid 60fps with everything on Ultra and TAA enabled though. So that's something, I suppose. 

I think I'll just play through the story at launch and then maybe come back at the end of the year to see if they've improved things. Game needs a fuckton of work, based on this demo code anyway.

5 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I think I'll just play through the story at launch and then maybe come back at the end of the year to see if they've improved things. Game needs a fuckton of work, based on this demo code anyway.

You'd think they'd learnt you know from Destiny 2. 

• Upvote 1

It's just not as good as Destiny, I wanted to like it but seems really shallow from what I played.

16 minutes ago, dave7g said:

It's just not as good as Destiny, I wanted to like it but seems really shallow from what I played.

Yep thats the bottom line.

Going to wait for the reviews on this and see how it holds up at launch, not pre ordering mind.

This really is quite ordinary. Can't complain about disconnection issues as I had none but it's doing very little for me. Slight caveat that I haven't played the stronghold yet but I found the general gameplay, mission design and the feel of the weapons were particularly unrewarding. 

The plodding around the central hub felt like a chore and a wholesale lift from Destiny. The swooping around was decent enough but that UI felt unwieldy. Ultimately, it just doesn't feel strong enough in any area to devote the required time to get the best out of the game. I'm sure it will flourish down the line, but I found the game fairly insipid. Hoping to have a go on the stronghold later with friends and I may well reevaluate, but first impressions are that it's the emperor's new clothes. 

I’d love to know why it appears to be running about 20fps on Xbox one X and PS4 pro when it doesn’t nearly look impressive enough for the consoles to struggle.

Is it running in frostbite? EA badly need to drop that engine like a bad habit

Utter garbage framerate on Xbox One X, the exploration is just follow the massive HUD arrow, bad guys are stupid bullet sponges and Iron Man impressions get boring after ten mins. 

Not my cup of tea then....

Had a session with no technical issues other than the non event of the cut scene after turning in the 3rd SP mission - just a melancholy cello soundtrack over a frozen image (could exit by pressing b though).  Whizzed through them on solo easy, so no decent loot but a taste of the game at least and it was all fairly enjoyable except for the big gun/tank sub boss.  Then I messed about with the magic class in free play and I can see the potential - pick up a few seals which seem to complement each other and suddenly you are Ms Elektra, Mr Iceberg or summat - no idea what the super is in this class but it looks pretty spectacular and seems to build more quickly than for hunter (?).  

A lot of the world seems empty though - presumably the locations you can visit will only get switched on for missions and are currently empty.  Also, not a fan of the mission area limitations in free play or the map indicator.

I'm hoping that starting over at L1 will help to introduce a lot of the concepts and backstory.

13 hours ago, Kiwi Cake said:

Not sure if this demo has improved anything but performance was noticeably worse for me on the X last week. Unfortunately I didn't get to play much on account of the loading bug, but when it worked the inconsistent framerate made the game feel a lot worse to play. PC wise I'm also on a 1060/i5 and have had surprisingly solid performance on "Ultra", which also made me suspicious!

Well after watching the DF video and their struggle to obtain 60fps on said setup on anything but low I'd surmise the menu reporting Ultra to indeed be bullshit. I think I'm going to leave the game for a few months and see if they can patch frame rate improvements across the formats as I feel a consistent frame rate will be pretty important to the game.

I actually quite enjoyed it once I watched a video explaining the combo system.

I’m not worried about not understanding the systems, it’s a demo that doesn’t start you off at the beginning. (Don’t get me wrong this is an issue with the demo although it’s not alone in doing this). I sure in the full release they will be explained.

From what I’ve seen I think it’ll get enough play to justify the entry price even if it doesn’t end up consuming 100s of hours of my time.

• Upvote 3

3rd time trying this. Can’t seem to get a game or anything....the frame rate is horrendous in the hub too. How is this game remotely ready?

Oh oh I think I found it. Launch expedition .

F*ck me the menus are bad.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

... and that’s what I was looking forward to. What we got isn’t even fucking close.

its the least of their worries but the voice acting in the 2017 reveal whether its players over a mic or what but its so much better than the god awful stuff in game on the demo. That Scottish bloke makes Dinkbot sound Oscar worthy.

I think this has potential provided they fix the crashes . Quite enjoyed the time I had with it when everything was working 

• Upvote 1