Gorf King

Anthem - Sekiro's out on Friday

I wonder how long before they do what blizzard did with Diablo III and pull Irving out of his role. Course it could be too late for that, but games like this have course corrected before. It just depends on how much money EA are will to continue to throw at it.

4 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

So the end of Bioware?

Dont be so defeatist, I’m sure they’ll make some boffo skins for Gibraltar in Apex.

So what it comes down to atm is as soon as you receive an item that is a tier above what you currently have you remove all gear and use that one item and start filling up your slots with that tier as it comes along. 

If you reach level 30 and get a legendary item on your first go of GM1 you should then never equip a masterwork item.

Surely Irving is going to be out of a job sometime very soon. 

Someone on reddit that played SWTOR thinks Irving has taken the scaling system from that game and copied it straight over to Anthem because the problems we're now seeing are almost identical. 

I don't think the 'equip only a legendary' thing works half as well as people imagine it will. I've been trying it back to back with my normal mixed loadout in GM2 and there's pros and cons. Clearly something - a lot - is amiss with the scaling in the game, but it's not quite as simple as is being made out across a variety of (sometimes contradictory) reddit posts.

They just dropped a hotfix which supposedly increases masterwork and legendary drop rates in any GM2 and 3 activity, and from some named legendary enemies at any level. There does seem to be an increase in the MWs I'm getting just in GM2 freeplay, but nothing astonishing. However, if your name begins in B and ends in n and only has three letters and your name is Ben, I hear that since the hotfix you've been getting legendaries drop from red bar scorpions. 

So that confirms nothing's changed really. Disappointing.

I should probably stop being so down on him really, the parallels are there but I obviously have a massive bias coming from SWTOR which isn't fair really maybe. 

I feel quite bad every time i bad mouth him because a couple of years ago me and him had a few pints together and talked about rugby (He misses it loads being from Aus and living in Texas) and he was a genuinely nice guy, I really hope they sort this mess out and it works out for him. 

I have 8 legendary items equipped and on GM2 I can pretty much 2 shot things, GM1 is laughable, i can literally run through the content.  I put my colosuss shield up and charge and can 1 shot most things while running. 

I've kind of reached the point where I'm slogging through stuff in the hope of getting some slightly better masterworks to see if they make any difference, but to be honest it's incredibly hard to tell. There's so much crap and you can do like twenty minutes of the same stronghold again and again to get another non-comboing piece of gear. And then you end up reading about whatever the next broken system is and realise it probably doesn't make any difference anyway.

They have some fun core stuff and I love flying around being a magical fireball-throwing iron man, but I think I'm tending towards being done until they rework a bunch of stuff.

I mean you can almost feel the palpable despair as you go through another Tyrant Mine as quickly as possible...and yet...do they stand in the fucking circle?! DO THEY?!

• Upvote 1

That's where you're going wrong  first 2 chests only,  boss doesn't drop legendary items. Had the same in SWTOR, all bosses had a random chance to do anything, last boss had a set loot table, in this case only masterwork. 

• Empathy 1

EA are emailing round a survey asking about opinions of the game- I think this is going to be pretty brutal lol

So much of this is closing the gate after the horse has bolted. Even though I’d love them to fix the game, their reactionary ‘fix one thing, break another’ approach really shows they have absolutely no idea what they’re doing now. And as others have said, with the incredibly slow drip feed of content, I cannot for the life of me see how they’re going to maintain interest.

How did it come to this with the game being in development for so long? Fundamental things like the loot system and how it works with balancing should have been sorted out ages ago!

• Upvote 1

'Fix' for 'equip one legendary / several legendaries and leave the other slots empty' incoming.

Bit obvious that they should have done that from the start really.

From my experience this evening, the practical applications of this flaw have been exaggerated somewhat. It does underline a real problem with scaling, but it's not actually that useful in practice. My mixed legendary/MW default setup does a lot better in challenging content, mainly because of perks and inscriptions on those decent MW items.

A post basically doing better maths than the 'loot doesn't matter' one (whose title is simply 100% wrong) that also better describes the issue:

Spoiler

The game's riddled with problems, one of which is that loot really does matter but generally we're getting shit loot, or when we get what is, in theory, decent loot it has shit inscriptions - the affix pools are far too broad and not tied closely enough to the difficulty of the activity. Hopefully they'll fix that issue - which should never have occurred to this extent in the first place - but, for now, the game simply doesn't have the loot structure to make the GM1>2>3 Diabloesque grind sustainable or attractive. And for a game that relies on turning up the difficulty to get rewarded with better gear, in order to turn up the difficulty again, that's a fatal flaw. So, same as it ever was with Anthem.

The hotfix today doesn't seem to have made much of a difference either - not from my experience. Getting a few more drops - even if you do - of MWs with equally shitty inscriptions isn't worth the hassle of doing strongholds on GM2. They need to fundamentally rewrite the power and inscription system before any of this gets significantly better, and there's an actual incentive to hammer away at the most difficult content. 

I'm glad I'm not anywhere near endgame yet as I'm still having a blast with this. Went to do a stronghold on hard last night to get some revives for that shitty tomb grind gate and what do you know me and 3 other level 9 randoms managed it.

It was bloody hard and took ages but we managed it. Lot of fun. 

It is fun at that point, assuming you like the combat and movement, the way abilities work, and all that core gameplay stuff. It gets even more fun imo when you start to get non-limited-pool masterworks at level 30/GM1 and suddenly realise that you can make actual builds. That's like this trigger point where your game suddenly changes and the addition of a few MW components allows you to make the leap from Grandmaster Is Hard! to brushing the enemies off like flies. A classic RPG/MMO power leap that's very satisfying.

The problem is that you never really get that leap again. Once you're all MW'd up the big change has happened, and everything else is incremental until and unless you get great or god rolls on stuff, and even then that doesn't have the impact that getting your first few MWs had. This power plateau is hugely compounded by the sheer breadth of the randomness in those rolls, being tied to inscriptions that can be godly in a random GM1 drop and utterly shitty in another random GM3 drop of the same item (which is likely the same power level too - legendaries, with a higher base power, always seem few and far between regardless of the difficulty level). And then you do get a legendary and it has worse rolls than that MW you're using.

So yeah, the end-endgame does turn out to feel very frustrating and unrewarding for a shooter whose loot is supposed to encourage you to push up the difficulty to crazy levels. There's no real encouragement to do that in the current system, and I don't see whatever small tweaks they made yesterday to MW/legendary drop rates in GM2/3 having any significant effect.

The real endgame, though, is jumping to flawed and exaggerated conclusions based on partial data, and getting maths wrong. That definitely happens a lot more at GM2 and 3, and it's the wholly incorrect headlines that keep getting reported ("+% shields does not work" - it does - "loot doesn't matter any more" - it does) rather than the actual data shown by the tests, which is that scaling the game is making actual power progress from GM1>2>3 way more of a slog than it should be. And that they really do have to band the quality of inscriptions (and also, I'd say, perks or even power numbers) across increasing GM levels. Not just give you a 5-10% extra drop rate from the same super-wide pool as you step up difficulty.

But man, the meta game of arguing about numbers is strong in this one. I think in that, and in its sheer memeability, is where Anthem outshines its competition. It makes for a fascinating study of looter-shooter/MMO culture. Unless you don't really care about that, in which case, yeah, just stop playing once you get a full set of MWs. In a few months time you might be able to come back to a fully-functional loot and difficulty system, with more content to use it in.

Maybe. Or maybe they'll just bring in an auction house.

• Upvote 1

I’m currently around level 23, and as a solo player, don’t see much point in continuing :-)

What I do wonder about though, with all the discussions of creating specific builds etc, how they can possibly balance additional content drops to satisfy their range of players - destiny basically makes all your work to that point meaningless, Diablo 3 introduced seasonal characters and goals, anthem will do what?

10 hours ago, Gorf King said:

A post basically doing better maths than the 'loot doesn't matter' one (whose title is simply 100% wrong) that also better describes the issue:

He seems to have amended that saying the math is wrong, and almost every comment in there says he missed the point of the original thread.

1 hour ago, footle said:

I’m currently around level 23, and as a solo player, don’t see much point in continuing :-)

What I do wonder about though, with all the discussions of creating specific builds etc, how they can possibly balance additional content drops to satisfy their range of players - destiny basically makes all your work to that point meaningless, Diablo 3 introduced seasonal characters and goals, anthem will do what?

Naff all would by my guess.

EA dropped support for Andromeda like a hot potato. Their support for Battlefront 2 and Battlefield 5 has been absolutely pathetic. They'll pump out whetever content was already already in the production pipeline, but they're such a short-termist company I don’t see them doing a Ubisoft and spitting in significant support long-term and turning things around.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

He seems to have amended that saying the math is wrong, and almost every comment in there says he missed the point of the original thread.

He hasn't though. I really don't know how to explain this any more - I do better with a combined MW and legendary loadout than the 'just equip one/many shit legendaries' loadout recommended by the original OP. Anyone would. Because loot does matter, and your inscriptions and synergies do. If anyone plays this, rather than just reads reddit headlines, try it. You'll find the same too.

6 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Naff all would by my guess.

EA dropped support for Andromeda like a hot potato. Their support for Battlefront 2 and Battlefield 5 has been absolutely pathetic. They'll pump out whetever content was already already in the production pipeline, but they're such a short-termist company I don’t see them doing a Ubisoft and spitting in significant support long-term and turning things around.

Possibly. I've decided to try fiddling through The Division 2 instead for a while, though the *idea* of not playing through a post apocalyptic American City appeals more.

• Upvote 1

Hey, don't forget, lads - there's a two-hour planned maintenance downtime tomorrow from 12-2pm. Just in case you were thinking of playing this, like, all day.

Lads?

I half expect when it comes back, the login screen will have been replaced by a new one.

CoCollegeParkGym9433underconstruction.gielainemarieslittlelanternGODSWORKIN-PROGCoCollegeParkGym9433underconstruction.gi

anangelzrinaunderconstruction.gif

HoHollywoodHills5836under_construction.g

Nova1466underconstruction.gif

HeHeartlandBluffs9304underconstruction.gHeHeartlandForest5722imagesconstruction.HeHeartlandGrove3904imagesconstruction.g

At least it'll load more quickly.

• Upvote 5

Due to family reasons, I'm late to playing the full game, having played the closed and open betas and pre-ordering the game (largely due to the significantly reduced price tag at Game Collection).

Finally managed to play some at the weekend. As with the betas, I enjoyed what I played, and am looking forward to getting stuck into more of it.

However, in Fort Tarsis it was like I was running through treacle. Everything was really sluggish and off. I don't think it was my connection, but is this one of the common bugs that everyone has been talking about?

It's not that the character runs slowly as such. It's like it's lag, which is why I wondered if it was my connection rather than the game.

I played it in the beta (and I'm still bugged by the fact that it goes first person), and even though it was slow in that, it wasn't like this.

I'll try resetting my router and see if that makes any difference. Definitely wasn't as bad as this during the much criticised betas.

Either way, looking forward to playing more. I'm only going to get to play in short bursts, so the lack of content that people have criticised it for isn't as big a problem for me at the moment.