Gorf King

Anthem - Sekiro's out on Friday

I kind of like the art actually

Anthem-Key-Art_preview.jpeg

5 things coming to EA Play for Anthem:

1. A New Trailer

That’s right, we’re delivering an unseen trailer that delves into the dangerous world of Anthem. You’ll get a glimpse into the story, characters, and monsters that bring the game to life.

2. More Gameplay

Last year we showed off some of the core gameplay that you can expect from Anthem – flying, fighting, and of course, collecting loot. And this year we’re happy to show off some more. Tune in to see it all.

3. Combat Showcase

One thing we’ll be showing in-depth this time around is combat. The power of the Javelin exosuit will be on full display as players take on the most ferocious enemies seen yet.

4. Developer Insights

The dev team at BioWare has been hard at work, and now they’re ready to show it off in-person. Hear some of the guiding principles that have shaped the development of Anthem as BioWare General Manager Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mark Darrah, and Lead Writer Cathleen Rootsaert take the stage.

5. A Look Behind The Curtain

Along with hearing from the developers themselves, we’ll be showing off some of the concept and production art of Anthem. You’ll get a chance to see the craftsmanship that has built this incredible world from the ground up.

I have no doubt that this as originally envisioned to be the most predatory gouging microtransaction fest imaginable. After Battlefront 2 landing like a turd in a pool it'll be interesting to what they've done to mask their talons and try to make it more palatable on release. The stuff won’t just be gone, this is EA after all.

I haven't kept up with 'Battleshooter V: Moar Shootmans feat. WWII', but aren't they doing away with paying for core DLC and season passes, instead focussing on charging for cosmetic items? If that's correct, I'd assume Anthem is now going in a similar direction; focus on cosmetics, useless dancing animation, and maybe with additional payment required for the BIG expansions - no controversial loot boxes like in BF2

The major uproar with the lootbox mechanism was that EA were perceived to have tied it to winning, which as discussed ad nauseam was the one line nobody has been blatantly able to cross in payware games so far. Implement some variant of the systems used in other successful payware titles, job done, baying mob kept at bay.

It'll be interesting to see what particular BioWare specific spin they have for it and just what the A-team which worked on Mass Effect can do with a new idea and over 6 years of development time.

It feels like it’s already a game that EA have told them to make, rather than something that has been created just by Bioware. 

It may well be fantastic - it probably needs to be - but it’s not what I really want to see Bioware make unfortunately.

hey ho.

• Upvote 1

Do you feel the same way about Massive and Tom Clancy's The Division? or the Western developers owned by Square-Enix and the Marvel games they have in development? They might have wanted to make this game, considering they'd spent the best part of a decade basically getting some practice in on the genre.

On 02/06/2018 at 10:04, VN1X said:

That is some uninspired boxart lol. 

H4uWQLz.png

Also "vanthem".

Compare and contrast our collective rejection and disgust to those from the other place

"That’s one hell of a box art, I’ll give ‘em that." :lol:

Oh, that looks shit. Got serious Mass Effect Andromeda vibes from that; flying aside, the gameplay looks identical. 

And that AI sounds like a proper wanker. That's gonna get old fast.

Bungie won't be giving any fucks about this based on what's been shown so far. 

I think I feel like I did back when I realised Bungie weren’t making games for me any more. 

EA could close Bioware right now and I don’t think I’d care, apart from not wanting people to lose their jobs, obviously. 

• Upvote 1

Video looked like they were doing the equivalent of a low level strike in Destiny to me, where everything is getting one shotted and no-one is taking much, if any, damage.

Its obviously just another "ooh look how pretty our game looks" video, and shows little to no actual real gameplay.

Basically, trailer didnt show much (other than how good the game looks I guess), and the release date was the most important part of the whole video.

I'm 70 hours in to Andromeda and not done, so comparisons there aren't going to put me off, but I'm not sure what to make of this from that gameplay video. And we already know Frostbite looks pretty, Andromeda did that.

So Anthem basically APEX missions but you're iron Man instead of Ryder?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

I don't understand why there's such a big buzz around this game

It's a Shared World Loot Shooter™ that not only looks great but seems to play good as well. Of course people are excited for that. Especially now that everyone's looking for an alternative to Destiny.

A buddy of mine literally said "looks like that game that you play but more casual". Been trying to get him to play Warframe for ages but I guess we'll Anthem-it-up now. :P

20 minutes ago, VN1X said:

It's a Shared World Loot Shooter™ that not only looks great but seems to play good as well. Of course people are excited for that. Especially now that everyone's looking for an alternative to Destiny.

A buddy of mine literally said "looks like that game that you play but more casual". Been trying to get him to play Warframe for ages but I guess we'll Anthem-it-up now. :P

And perhaps have already found it in Fortnite. This looks like Destiny with flying to me. It could be good but I saw nothing inspiring in that demo video.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

And perhaps have already found it in Fortnite. 

Huh?

I don't think there's much overlap when it comes to Loot-Em-Ups like Diablo, Destiny, Warframe, PoE, The Division, Vermintide 2 even (all PvE games) and... a battle royale title?

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

It doesn't matter. Destiny's player base is dwindling, my guess is that a lot of those people moved over to Fortnite along with everyone else. 

Might as well stop making games then.