Gorf King

Anthem - Sekiro's out on Friday

That article makes a lot of sense if you play SWTOR, the games had no major updates in 13 months now and doesn't look like it'll be having any anytime soon, feels like it's in pure maintenance mode.

And there’s a sense among BioWare employees that the company’s future is inextricably tied to this game.

Feels like another upcoming EA victim for the Industry Dead Pool thread :(

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Cant remember the last EA game I bought. May have been Dragon Age Inquisition, whenever that came out, on PC. Outside of Bioware, I have very little interest in any of the games they publish, so it'll be a bit sad if Bioware is shut down.

1 hour ago, Matt Defis said:

That article makes a lot of sense if you play SWTOR, the games had no major updates in 13 months now and doesn't look like it'll be having any anytime soon, feels like it's in pure maintenance mode.

Let the old republic go bro. Move on with your life. Try pubg or something.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Let the old republic go bro. Move on with your life. Try pubg or something.

Not that easy when you've sunk 6 years into something, it'll pretty much be the end of gaming for me. 

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

What fucking EA games did you even buy in 2017 rllmuk? I bet it was Star Wars wasn't it? :(

It was.

I bought it so I could play the VR mission.   :hat: 

I bought ME:A.... 

I wont be buying Anthem though, as I think it's understood that it's EA's answer to Destiny. Destiny is a game I had a 3 week flirtation with when it first came out and didn't even consider getting Destiny 2. 

• Upvote 1

if this is their take on Destiny, good luck with all of that.

10 year life span, constant content, yeah fucking right?  Dodo 2 is on the extinction list as it is, cant see lootbox pimps making a better version in the style of.

• Upvote 2

Everybody with any serious money is going hard in on these service games where they charge you for initial access too, the only reason BioWare is getting the Destiny comparison and every else isn't is purely because of the subject matter. GTAO has been running successfully for about as long as Destiny now, various Disney licensed games that are in development also want a bite of that pie.

The development of Anthem will be longer than what Bungie took to get Destiny out of the door, it's being led by what's remaining of the original Mass Effect Trilogy team so they do have some pedigree in making successful Sci-Fi themed shooter games.

I have faith in Bioware, it is EA that worries me. How are they going to shoehorn microtransactions & loot boxes into the game. 

The entire high end game dev community is probably trying to figure out how to successfully do that too though, TBF :P , a bunch of Ubisoft games seem to be successfully getting away with it, judging by the current levels of discussion about them, be interesting to see how Rockstar evolve their approach to it too.

• Upvote 1

All they need to do is make a more polished Warframe and I'm all over this.

...but they'll probably manage to fuck that up somehow.

18 hours ago, mushashi said:

The entire high end game dev community is probably trying to figure out how to successfully do that too though, TBF :P , a bunch of Ubisoft games seem to be successfully getting away with it, judging by the current levels of discussion about them, be interesting to see how Rockstar evolve their approach to it too.

I think the problem is that it's these always online games that are suffering the most. Ubisoft still mostly make one player games, and GTAV has a massive one player game. I'd imagine RDR2 will just be just like that with a separate online component. 

Destiny 2 just feels like a free to play game. You can't have your cake and eat it. Warframe is free, Fortnite is free..

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Stanley said:

I think the problem is that it's these always online games that are suffering the most. Ubisoft still mostly make one player games, and GTAV has a massive one player game. I'd imagine RDR2 will just be just like that with a separate online component. 

Destiny 2 just feels like a free to play game. You can't have your cake and eat it. Warframe is free, Fortnite is free..

Seems to work fine for Activision-Blizzard, fullprice entry games with monetisation schemes primarily played online and minimal consumer blowback, or pretty much the opposite if you happen to have the levels of adoration Blizzard can seemingly generate.

As I've said in the past when this subject comes up, we seem to be in the early experimentation phase of monetisation of payware games, just like Horse Armour was an early attempt at DLC, which now would be the preferred method for a lot of people ironically :P

Well apart from it apparently not being ok according to players and analysts alike.

If you can play Warframe for free, paying for the content you want, or Fortnite, or PUBG (at a budget price) then I can't see this AAA full pricing model continuing until they actually provide something of value. 

14 hours ago, Stanley said:

Destiny 2 just feels like a free to play game.

I'm not sure at all that I accept the central premise of your argument. D2 has all sorts of problems, but it's absolutely not a game that feels like some F2P effort.

• Upvote 1

It's also, as a game, fuck all like Fortnite and, despite what some wags would have you believe, pretty much fuck all like Warframe. Destiny has a completely different design remit, ethos, and gameplay feel to either of those titles. It's sui generis, which I believe is a fundamental part of where its problems began - no competition, y'see? (Or it was sui generis - I think it's completely lost its way and a lot of its unique character.) But regardless of that, saying it feels like a free to play game is just silly. What does a free to play game feel like? Fortnite? Warframe? Super Mario Run?

What it feels like is a great-feeling FPS that's totally fucked up its RPG and progression systems, lost its lore and its depth, and been propped up - or, rather, held down - by making cosmetic loot boxes the most important part of the loot and rewards system. In that, it's undermined its own value as a game that can engage players in the long term.

When it comes to Anthem, I think the worst thing that ever happened to Bioware was Bungie dropping the ball - the thing Bungie needed the most to continue to evolve D1 was some stiff competition - despite the existence of The Division, they really haven't had any - but they didn't get it. And so, left to their own devices, they've lost their own plot. By doing that, and showing in D2  just how unpopular the cosmetic loot box approach is, they've basically put Bioware on notice that they can't cheap out on online RPGs and use cosmetic MTX as a substitute for proper endgame engagement and progression. 

With EA being at the helm, I still doubt they'll actually turn Anthem into something that's genuinely got more substance than, say, D1 in terms of either progression or gameplay (I'll take a pretty hefty bet against the gunplay being a patch on either of the Destinies). Crafting (which all the Destinies studiously avoid, superobviously very much unlike something like Warframe - a game in which you can grind for all eternity or just buy all the game-changing gear the day it's released, again super unlike any Destiny), voice acting, all those Bioware staples, sure. They'll do that. But they clearly had big plans for MTX which have been shaken up by the abject failure of D2's Eververse model, hence the first of what I expect to be several big delays in production.

Regardless, saying D2 feels like a F2P game is just daft. There's still no game, free to play or otherwise, that has such great shooting mechanics (despite Bungie's best efforts to fuck them up in the name of 'balance'): they are famously polished, as are the design of the combat encounters, esp the raids. Also, you can't buy your way to endgame gear, unlike in something such as Warframe (again, the problem with D2 is that there really isn't such a thing as endgame gear - the title is far too flat, and you can get just about anything, power-wise, from doing just about anything - the exact opposite of Warframe, or indeed of almost any RPG/MMO). Nope, I'm afraid D2 has its own set of problems, quite separate from the sorts of issues you might find in F2P titles. It's Bungie's failure to make a success of a franchise that had carved the unique path which D1 did that has Bioware shitting their pants. Not the existence of Warframe or, for fuck's sake, a free-to-play PUBG clone.

And apparently Super Mario Run did quite well despite the dearth of raid perks on its armour.

• Upvote 5

People really need to actually play Warframe instead of reading into launch-time reviews. (End-game gear in Warframe? Wut?) Bungie can do controls, definitely, but everything else in Destiny (2) is downright boring compared to Warframe.

• Upvote 1

I have actually played Warframe. Some gear is most definitely 'end-game', i.e. among the best in the game and capable of holding its own against the crazily heavily-armoured higher-level enemies. For example the Akstiletto Prime I built over the weekend. I farmed the parts for quite a while, grinding out relics to get them. Alternatively, I could have simply spent some cash on platinum and bought the parts from a player, effectively shortcutting all the in-game work and just acquiring them for dosh. You're not going to get the same level of effectiveness out of the weapons you start out with, obviously, so in that sense (as well as there being items that are obviously 'better' in effect than others, hence the existence of Prime versions that are generally existing items whose stats are beefed up) you very much can simply buy power outright, either from other players, or often from DE themselves (they're right there in the in-game marketplace). It's not just cosmetic items that provide DE with their income, as you well know. They sell power, too.

I'm not even having a go at Warframe - I'm playing it at the moment and must be for a reason. The crafting and customisation is obviously tons deeper than Destiny's, and the sense of progression (up to a point) is, too. But it relies on a completely different ethos and economy to the Destiny series. D2 is obviously a massive letdown to me, and I'm not going to again go into all the reasons why here. Yet that doesn't mean it should be 'like Warframe'. Nor does it mean every aspect of the game is better. There is nothing at all in WF like Destiny's raids, for one thing - the best thing about that game. Even the raid encounters in D2, tackled blind, are far more engrossing and challenging mechanically and in terms of teamwork than anything in Warframe.

And I'd expect that in Destiny, and not in Warframe. Because they're two very different titles. The feel of the combat's often great in WF, but completely different and not in the same class as Bungie's shooter at its best. The encounters are way simpler in design, as are the environments and arenas (which is hardly surprising given many are semi-randomly generated). The performance on console - the massive framerate drops - is shocking, and the lag in busy areas or encounters would have the entire gaming press lolling into a cabbage if it were Destiny, and would make, say, a raid unplayable. All these things really do make WF feel like what it is - a F2P game. Albeit a very good one. But they're not things that Destiny should be aping, just like they shouldn't be trying to adopt its core economic model - being able to simply circumvent the grind and buy the best gear in the game with cash.

It'll be interesting to see what direction Bioware take with Anthem, and even more investing to see what direction they were taking before they - as is evident now - rethought their plans after the dismal reception received by D2 based on its 'cosmetics-only' MTX model, where the cosmetic rewards ended up seeming to take priority over the functional ones that progress your power through the late game and end game. 

NB I actually like Warframe. I much prefer a crafting and customisation system that has depth and breadth, which WF has in spades, to the thin excuse for one in D2. I just don't think it's a substitute for Destiny (1) to actually play, and neither of the Destinies feel at all like free-to-play titles. WF definitely does, for a variety of reasons - most obviously in its economic models, but also in terms of a general lack of polish or (encounter) sophistication, in its almost literally eternal grindiness, etc. So I'm not saying I dislike Warframe at all. I'm saying that comparisons between it and Destiny are often facile at best.

And yeah, Destiny 2 did get quite boring quite fast for me. But hell, unless you like playing the same mission a hundred times over, mostly so you finally get that drop there's a 1.67% chance of, so can Warframe. I happen to not really mind. I was a big fan of PSO, after all, which is the distant cousin that actually connects these two otherwise unrelated titles. And in some respects, Warframe does a very good PSO. Certainly better than D2 does it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VN1X said:

That is some uninspired boxart lol. 

H4uWQLz.png

Also "vanthem".

Christ. All I see is the evil bloke from the first Antman film.