Jump to content
Gorf King

Anthem - Sekiro's out on Friday

Recommended Posts

I mean.. The graphics are superb but, man.. After Zelda every other open world  game needs to step the fuck up if it wants any kind of meaningful exploration. 

 

It looks pretty boring gameplay wise, it's just another shooter (with stupendous scenery, granted). 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've seen, this was the only thing "new" that peaked my interest.

 

Hopefully it wont be another Division, and will have an end game at launch that is fun to play. Story/dialogue "should" be decent at least, considering its Bioware (fingers crossed), so with any luck that wont be an issue. Commenting on gameplay is pointless unless you've actually played it, in my opinion, as it could handle like a dream, or like a piece of shit - we wont know until we can get a hands on.

 

Gun play/weapon handling probably wont be as good as in Destiny, unless they've got some people onboard that I'm unaware of.

 

Colour me intrigued though.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

This appears to be more suits than mechs. :)

all mechs are suits Mark.... face it.... you secretly love mechs.....

giphy (1).gif

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.b1f1d6f4816e85f7bd831e91a85da823.PNG

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just completely not hyped about it. I suspect it's one of those games like Destiny or WoW that just looks like a bunch of stupid shit without the surrounding community and meta. I'm really into Destiny now but every expansion review I read sounded like some mad bollocks until I actually played it for a decent amount of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2017 at 14:36, Karzee said:

I'll be absolutely honest, I thought the graphics looked great but the gameplay lacked any excitement whatsoever. I know we now live in an age where there''s an obsession with visuals but I'm surprised they would pick such a dull segment to showcase the game. The few enemy encounters looked easy and the voices sounded like they were trying to be excited but actually came across as bored.

 

Maybe I missed something but could someone please tell me what looked good about it beyond the visuals? 

 

The sound. The sound looked good.

ffs man!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really intrigued by this. It's one of them games I wanna go into completely blind and explore. All the enemies looked insanely weak, but they were only grunts it seemed and they were showcasing the stronger mortar and lock on missile cooldown type weapons. I'm sure there's plenty of decent fights to be had with stronger enemies like the huge monster which they bypassed at the start.

 

I'm also a sucker for loot and customisation. Having your character not tied to a specific javelin suit is a great step too because it means you don't have to commit to being a tank or a DPS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks really exciting. Even if there's not loads of stuff it should have a decent amount to explore. Wouldn't mind seeing some fights against tougher enemies but I'm sure it will be there. First Bioware game I've been really excited about for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does look great, and the fact that it's from Bioware means that I'm quietly confident that the world and the story will be really engaging. In an ideal world, you'd have Bungie and Bioware collaborating on something like this, so that you'd have Bungie's skill at creating the core shooting, and Bioware's expertise in structure and storytelling, but this looks pretty good anyway.

 

I'd be interested to know how open the world really is - when they jump off the tower thing at the start and fly off, they immediately go into a tunnel structure, after which the level seems fairly linear. It would be amazing if you really could zoom off in any direction from the start, but given the richness of the environment, I would be surprised if that were the case. It seems a bit too good to be true.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 6/12/2017 at 09:09, Larsen B said:

Destiny wouldn't be much without the feel of its shooting and Bioware don't have that pedigree.

 

We all know Destiny has had its ups and its downs but this is such a misguided statement. The shooting is definitely a strong point of the game but do you really think the game has been a massive success and millions of people are still playing destiny based on one factor? 

 

On 6/12/2017 at 14:16, Wroth said:

When they announced a new Bioware game I immediately thought two things.

"I hope they've taken lessons from Witcher 3"

and

"I hope they haven't taken lessons from Destiny"

 

:(

 

They could only do well if they have taken lessons from Destiny, learn from it's mistakes and successes considering it is possibly the most successful new franchise in gaming of recent years.

 

Maybe this genre isn't what suits you since you want it to have taken lessons from an entirely single player game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

 

 

We all know Destiny has had its ups and its downs but this is such a misguided statement. The shooting is definitely a strong point of the game but do you really think the game has been a massive success and millions of people are still playing destiny based on one factor?

 

It's probably not the only, one, factor. But it's obviously a key one, isn't it? There's precious little content, the PvP isn't consistent enough in lag terms to be a truly pro competitive arena, and there's only so many times even the most dedicated people can run the raids before they've gotten everything and are bored.

 

I'd say the feel of the shooting and movement and combat is exactly what's kept it popular. Other purer shooters, and even other Destiny-likes haven't had the massmarket legs Destiny has shown for 3 years.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, K said:

It does look great, and the fact that it's from Bioware means that I'm quietly confident that the world and the story will be really engaging. In an ideal world, you'd have Bungie and Bioware collaborating on something like this, so that you'd have Bungie's skill at creating the core shooting, and Bioware's expertise in structure and storytelling, but this looks pretty good anyway.

 

I'd be interested to know how open the world really is - when they jump off the tower thing at the start and fly off, they immediately go into a tunnel structure, after which the level seems fairly linear. It would be amazing if you really could zoom off in any direction from the start, but given the richness of the environment, I would be surprised if that were the case. It seems a bit too good to be true.

 

This is exactly what I want to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

 

It's probably not the only, one, factor. But it's obviously a key one, isn't it? There's precious little content, the PvP isn't consistent enough in lag terms to be a truly pro competitive arena, and there's only so many times even the most dedicated people can run the raids before they've gotten everything and are bored.

 

I'd say the feel of the shooting and movement and combat is exactly what's kept it popular. Other purer shooters, and even other Destiny-likes haven't had the massmarket legs Destiny has shown for 3 years.

 

Of course it is a key factor but it's one of many, to say there is precious little content is also misguided, please show me another console game that offers the level of content Destiny has at current? Of course the people who have played it all a lot won't want to be constantly replaying it, that can be said about any game surely? Why does the PvP need to be a pro competitive arena to keep people interested in playing? PvP in Destiny is huge amounts of fun, modes like Trials of Osiris have kept me playing it for years.

 

There is also side effects of the game that has influenced people to play with strangers and create new friendships, this is the first game that done that for me, never before have I made friends from playing a video game. It wasn't because of the shooting feeling great that caused that, it was because of the content of the game, namely raids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't putting down Destiny.

 

If it had the shooting from Mass Effect (1) in it, all the content in the world wouldn't be enough to keep people (which includes me!) playing for hundreds of hours. It's a huge positive that, if you strip away all of the stuff you mention, at its core is an excellent, responsive FPS with a satisfying gameplay loop.

 

It doesn't need PvP or being part of a community to be enjoyable. I got to level 40 playing entirely solo outside of the matchmaking Strikes and didn't get bored of it during that time.

 

BioWare are more popular for their writing than their combat systems, outside of the mad eggs who say Infiltrator on Insanity is the real experience. Competent writing and characters won't sustain a game for years in the mass market.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BarryL85 said:

They could only do well if they have taken lessons from Destiny, learn from it's mistakes and successes considering it is possibly the most successful new franchise in gaming of recent years.

 

Maybe this genre isn't what suits you since you want it to have taken lessons from an entirely single player game?

Given that Bioware are known for making single player games, yes. That is what I was hoping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazed this has not been posted (for shame rllmuk, for shame):

Mass Effect 1+2 writer back on board for Anthem, so story should be top notch. All we need is a proper gameplay video now as all we saw in the reveal were some low level mobs getting one shotted by power weapons.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if EA will be at Gamescom to show off any more or more likely they will go silent now until next E3 ready for release Autumn 2018.

 

I'm curious now about Warframe off to youtube to watch some gameplay.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article about the current state of Anthem by Jason Schreier at Kotaku

 

Quote

From what I’ve heard, the loot box controversy has led a number of big video game studios, including BioWare, to reexamine their plans for microtransactions in future games. Although Anthem’s microtransaction plans are still undecided (and, I hear, may only involve cosmetics), the outrage has left some developers on edge.

Most recently, sources say, Anthem’s developers have been watching the ongoing anger in the Destiny 2 community over the state of that game. Destinyfans have grown irritated at Destiny 2’s lack of content, Bungie’s poor communication, and the lingering feeling that Destiny 2 is repeating its predecessor’s mistakes. Although fans and pundits have suggested that Destiny 2’s inability to capture hardcore players may leave an opening for Anthem to grab that crowd, some BioWare developers have expressed worry that their game will face its own growing pains, as all games of this nature do.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The end of that article is fucking ridiculous, suggesting that Anthem’s developers are scared that “youtube toxicity” has made EA look like really bad people, as opposed to EA looking like bad people because they have no respect for their employees or customers and close studios constantly, destroying valuable legacies and people’s livelihood’s on a whim.

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering EA have started relying so hard on 'influencers' (urgh) to shill their games (see that atrocity of an E3 conference they had) it feels like a case of live by the streaming dickheads, die by the streaming dickheads.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.