Anthem Animam Agere

Yeah, I withdraw my petty comment then. I figured they'd blown a huge sum of money thinking they could magically recreate the anomalous WoW, but a billion in revenue must have made up the development and infrastructure costs.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Yeah, I withdraw my petty comment then. I figured they'd blown a huge sum of money thinking they could magically recreate the anomalous WoW, but a billion in revenue must have made up the development and infrastructure costs.

I think the game developement ,infrastructure and what not cost $200 million and last report showed SWTOR had just past the $1.3 billion mark, which isn't bad considering it was a dead MMO 8 years ago according to most.

Surely they'll fuck Anthem off if EA history is anything to go by, isn't spending millions on something just to cancel it kinda their whole things?

• 2 weeks later...

Such a shame for a game that deserved better than it got. There was a decent game at the core, and sometimes you could experience that good game as perhaps it could have been, but it couldn't square the chimera of single player story RPG and long-running service game at all, and didn't have the clarity of design/vision to carry it through.

• Gorf King changed the title to Anthem Animam Agere

The main thing I remember from the demo is how they made it massively inconvenient to edit your load out and made all the gear dull as shit.

Not winning design choices for a loot shooter.

21 minutes ago, Harsin said:

How long will Square Enix try to keep up the facade of supporting Avengers before giving up the ghost.

Yeah wow, at least Anthem was an attempt at a brand new IP. Just imagine fucking up Avengers.

9 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Everything riding on Dragon Age now for BioWare. If that turns out shit you can kiss them goodbye I imagine.

I’ve got bad news:

Problems with the development of Bioware's other games Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem led to repeated interruptions as "Joplin" staff was shifted to these games. In October 2018, Bioware and its parent company EA cancelled "Joplin" altogether, reportedly because it did not provide for a "live service" component providing ongoing monetization opportunities.

Development of Dragon Age 4 was restarted under the code-name "Morrison", this time with a live-service component and based on Anthem's code.

The money from the sports titles are bank-rolling them, how long before they give up on making anything but sports titles. What was there last non-sports game that was a hit? Did Jedi Fallen Order do well?

4 minutes ago, gospvg said:

The money from the sports titles are bank-rolling them, how long before they give up on making anything but sports titles. What was there last non-sports game that was a hit? Did Jedi Fallen Order do well?

Yes. It’s basically the shining hope for not all EA titles need a live service component.

49 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Does Apex Legends count? If so probably that. I think Fallen Order had a pretty long tail (it hit more than 10 million by March 2020) and I believe that Star Wars: Squadrons did better than expected.

It’s a shame about Anthem the potential of a great game was there mired in some terrible design decisions and the sense it was meant to be a single player narrative game akin to Mass Effect at one point.

5 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Does Apex Legends count? If so probably that. I think Fallen Order had a pretty long tail (it hit more than 10 million by March 2020) and I believe that Star Wars: Squadrons did better than expected.

I expect Squadrons came as a surprise to them because I assume it had a smaller budget than Jedi Fallen Order and probably did better for them financially.

Hard to believe Fallout 76 survived with more grace than Anthem.

@bobonthewayAlso, do not believe when you're told about roadmaps and support for [x] years. Destiny*, Anthem, Fallout and surely more failed.

*Destiny is going strong, but remember that 10 year plan from Activision Blizzard?

Oh it is now, but Activision dumped it after what, 3 years?

Bungie is now the developer and publisher, the original roadmap is long gone.

The point I was trying to make is do not ever believe those promises, especially as a reason to justify buying a shell of a game hoping it'll be filled with content years down the line.