Anthem Animam Agere

9 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

If this theory is correct, and this is really an beta rather than a demo issued just before release (and the game hasn't gone gold yet), they'll also need feedback on the game itself. Which they won't get, because no-one is playing it or giving feedback on anything other than connectivity, and they'll give up on even that soon enough. So it's a failure on either count.

What they really shouldn't have done is have a finite number of pre-orders, multiplied that by four (assuming the max three friend codes per every one pre-order), and then failed to cater for that number. Of course, the problems may have nothing to do with simple server/client numbers at all. It could be something else entirely. But they've probably hacked off a few 'VIP' pre-order people by not giving them the VIP treatment, and plenty of their mates will have also gone away thinking the whole affair is amateurish. Because they called it a VIP demo rather than a beta test. Bad idea.

I'm no network engineer, but I do know these things aren't as easy as simply providing enough servers. There's a reason (a whole host of different ones in fact) this happens with every single big launch that features online play, and it isn't just because there's not enough servers to go around. If that was the case you'd think most companies would have figured that out by now.

It won't matter if the issue is indeed due to how they handle packets and reconnecting, all that stuff can be tweaked and changed on the back end, it won't affect going gold or requiring significant patching/updating.

Should they have called it a demo? Probably not. But there's no way in hell they were providing a demo out of the goodness of their hearts, they wanted things stress tested to fuck, and they got that.:blah:

4 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

No. It means no fucker was pre-ordering the game.

Indeed. A different issue altogether, and not one to do with connectivity issues.

There's just a bad whiff around online GaaS games, and EA and all that lot, these days. And maybe what was shown of the game itself didn't inspire. So low pre-orders, and then the reaction to that is to give loads of friend codes away to get all these liggers into the VIP TENT.

And then the tent collapses and dumps loads of collected rainwater and seagull shit onto the shoulders of the congregated hangers-on within. They'll not be giving five stars to that garden party they reluctantly blagged their way into, I'll bet.

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

Should they have called it a demo? Probably not. But there's no way in hell they were providing a demo out of the goodness of their hearts, they wanted things stress tested to fuck, and they got that.:blah:

It's all about how EA and Bioware present this. It's a beta? Call it a beta, say it's all untested and clunky and could fall over completely. We need your feedback, this thing is nowhere near finished. That's fine. If it's four weeks out and a VIP DEMO GET YOUR SPECIAL CODES HERE IF YOU PRE-ORDER, then don't fuck it up. 

They fucked it up. If you're EA - or, arguably, even Bioware - you can't do that these days. Public perception, and winning that around, is the thing. It's all of the thing. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is.

8 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

It's all about how EA and Bioware present this. It's a beta? Call it a beta, say it's all untested and clunky and could fall over completely. We need your feedback, this thing is nowhere near finished. That's fine. If it's four weeks out and a VIP DEMO GET YOUR SPECIAL CODES HERE IF YOU PRE-ORDER, then don't fuck it up. 

They fucked it up. If you're EA - or, arguably, even Bioware - you can't do that these days. Public perception, and winning that around, is the thing. It's all of the thing. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is.

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that, it's definitely been handled badly. My point was just that these things are never as simple as "well add more servers?!". They never are. They can do as much internal and closed alpha testing as possible but nothing is on par with real world, large scale, 100k+ users all trying to get in at the same time which they'll get from this and the Open Demo.

If the same thing happens next week and at launch then they've just stuck their heads in the sand and hoped for the best. :hmm:

I agree. I just think this is the worst thing they could've done. They should have proper beta'd it far earlier and called it a beta - testing for netcode and other issues as well. But they saved the mass test for after the game proper had gone gold and then chucked out max invites for not-properly-tested net code.

The worst thing is, I got to play one mission fully and that didn't really feel that great even when I got into a game. And that might be me not having the time to get accustomed to the quirks of the game - you need time to play something like this to judge it properly. So even people who did pre-order and managed to get in go away feeling that the actual game - which won't change for release - isn't really too hot, or polished enough. And those that blagged a friend code for the special demo and also got in think 'the net code is shit and the game feels dodgy at best' and fuck off to give it bad word of mouth.

They should have put all this out into the wild a lot sooner and not badged it as a pre-order exclusive VIP experience. 

Well, I got to walk around a bit, but now I'm stuck at a loading screen.

The UI is shite. 

Also, I have a question, the mission it gives you at the start is match-made. Is this going to be the case for all of the game?  As in, if you want to play this, you have to play with other people, be-it randoms or people you know. In Destiny I liked doing the main missions on my own first, is that not going to be an option here?

edit: Also, I can see Bioware still don't know how to animate people. Why is it so hard for some devs to understand that in real life, people don't gesticulate all over the place like they're high on cocaine when they're just having a brief conversation?

1 minute ago, Gorf King said:

You can hit R3 and select whether you want to matchmake or do it private (solo). I tried both, but only got in when I matchmade (went public). That's probably just coincidence though. Second mission I just failed to get in altogether.

Which goes back to my UI comment. I didn't know that was an option. 

I just managed to do the first mission. I think I really like it. Some issues

1. PC options are a mess. At one point it claimed I was in 1080p while I was obviously in 4k. I had to switch to full screen from borderless to fix that but then it decided it was on my second monitor. I got all that fixed by fiddling though.

2. Performance is spotty. I have  a brand new ninja rig. I set it to 1440p on high and got a mostly solid 60 though. In the city it was running at 60 but felt juddery.

3. That puzzle at the end of the first demo mission is really badly misjudged. I already knew how to solve it but unforgivable there seems to be no text chat so I was unable to tell my teammate who was running around changing the colours after I set them. Eventualy he got bored and I was able to set them correctly.

4. I'm sure all this is explain in tutorials in the real game but if I had two weapons I had no idea how to switch between them. I ran out of ammo at one point. I'll upload a video in a bit.

5. Flight and hovering is a bit horrible. I expect I'll get better with practice but generally you can't fly for anywhere near long enough to actually get anywhere and there's not enough in game water to cool you down.

Overall very promising though. I'll play more tomorrow

23 minutes ago, tobert said:

Anyone getting an issue where it says you aren't eligible for the demo?

As in when you start the game, oddly I have played other EA titles on my PlayStation but my psn Id does not appear in my list of EA connected accounts...anthem also not giving me option to sign in anywhere

I had the same issue as you Flub. Ran out of ammo and couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to switch to my other gun. Was then greeted with a helpful Hint: You can view the controller layout under the codex library. No, no I fucking can’t. :lol:

Just now, Rikku said:

I had the same issue as you Flub. Ran out of ammo and couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to switch to my other gun. Was then greeted with a helpful Hint: You can view the controller layout under the codex library. No, no I fucking can’t. :lol:

I ended up killing a mob with one of my spells and he happily dropped hundreds of ammo. I think we were probably supposed to equip a second gun before we went out or something. I'll check when I next play tomorrow. At the end of the mission I got like 8 new guns to play with.

5 minutes ago, Flub said:

This. The entire UI is a trash fire and needs doing again from scratch with grownups in charge.

Why do EA have so much trouble with UIs. The one in Battlefield 5 feels like it was designed by a sadist.

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

They should have put all this out into the wild a lot sooner and not badged it as a pre-order exclusive VIP experience. 

In an ideal world, yes. But putting it up sooner in an even more unfinished state probably wouldn't be wise. Badging it as a VIP / pre-order incentive would be a publisher marketing thing. Guess development hasn't been very smooth sailing, tbh.

3 minutes ago, Flub said:

I ended up killing a mob with one of my spells and he happily dropped hundreds of ammo. I think we were probably supposed to equip a second gun before we went out or something. I'll check when I next play tomorrow. At the end of the mission I got like 8 new guns to play with.

Oh I did equip a second gun before the mission started. I had one with 0 ammo and one with 340 ammo. I just couldn’t switch to it. :) 

As a test, I reloaded the game after turning off HDR in the PS4. Tarsis looks significantly better without HDR. With HDR, everything is washed out. They've fucked that up completely. As for the game, this is as far as I have got...

image.png.443a6a81cd13a529b47001904aac8185.png 

6 minutes ago, Flub said:

This. The entire UI is a trash fire and needs doing again from scratch with grownups in charge.

Haven't been on yet but what I've seen looks very reminiscent of Mass Effect Andromeda which, along with Dragon Age Inquisition, had one of the worst UI and gear crafting and upgrade system in the history of videogames. It was the reason I just couldn't  play it anymore. Obviously there is a lineage there so am a little worried.

• Gorf King changed the title to Anthem Animam Agere