The Evil Within 2 - Welcome to Resident Hill

Goose

It really does. It seems the difficulty of the first game has put a lot of people off. I'd hope that the fact the price has plummeted will bring a few new players to it. the team who made it really listened to people's complaints and have handled it brilliantly IMO. If anything I imagine purists of the 1st game wouldn't like it as much as it's a bit too user friendly! 

By user-friendly you mean not a complete mess where random spooky things happen with any consequence. The original is a dumper fire, the sequel is Game of the Year material. More people need to play the sequel.

Yeah it's awesome, and an incredible step up in quality from the original. I abandoned my nightmare playthrough just before xmas due to new games , but secretly I'm itching to get back to it. It's rare these days I dive straight back in for a second playthrough, never mind a third. I think the last game I did that with was Binary Domain (all 4 difficulties) or Max Payne 3 (Everything!)

• 1 month later...

Started this on PC yesterday and amazed how it runs on my ancient ATI 7970 and also how good it is - I spent 5 hours and only just completed Chapter 3 due it been pretty open about how you go about things.

Love it so far and pretty tense in places.

• 3 months later...

This is now on sale on PSN for 15 quid or so, comes highly highly recommended.

https://store.playstation.com/nl-nl/product/EP1003-CUSA06164_00-PRJGDN0000000000

Best game I played last year and I absolutely hated the original.

On 11/01/2018 at 11:54, df0 said:

By user-friendly you mean not a complete mess where random spooky things happen with any consequence. The original is a dumper fire, the sequel is Game of the Year material. More people need to play the sequel.

See.

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

Agreed, first one was steaming but this one is wonderful, top game. Well worth £15 - best horror game of this gen 

this music :wub:

edit: just noticed the wedding ring on the thumbnail is coloured in, nice touch !

Its lovely, but I prefer the spooky version. 

• 7 months later...

Playing this at the moment and agree with most of you guys' comments, positive AND negative. 

I finished the first one and enjoyed it, despite some seriously annoying segments/mechanics, but this one is a definite improvement in all areas. 

I actually like how the stealth and combat feels a little out of your control or somewhat random and janky at times, unless you really, really focus as it makes for some tense emergent gameplay situations. 

It's proper fucked up schlock horror and I've no idea what's coming next which makes it pretty compelling to play. 

Currently at chapter 6:On the Hunt on Nightmare difficulty and enjoying feeling more empowered after levelling up some weapons and stealth kill abilities :ph34r:

I'd definitely recommend it at this point and looking forward to where it takes me next :unsure:

Probably won't play it much over the weekend though as I want to have a good look at the Anthem demo (available for free pre-install now for any EA Access members, if anyone is interested). 

41 minutes ago, df0 said:

If you can be bothered, you can do it without too much of a hassle. When you link your account to Bethesda.net you get 3 extra options in the Options menu: infinite health, infinite stamina, 1 hit kill. With those you’re back at where you were rather swiftly.

https://gearnuke.com/the-evil-within-2-update-version-1-05-patch-notes/

hmm cheers - maybe worth a go (after RE2). 

Played through the whole game over the course of today, using those cheats.  Could well be the most ignored and underrated game ever.  I picked it up just after launch for £20, and saw it at a tenner a few weeks later.  It feels a little clunky and the frame rate isn't great, but it's a really great game isn't it?

On the PS4 the way one of the bosses

Laughs and sings through the controller, which echoes around your surround speakers

...is such an amazing effect. Really unsettling. In fact, there's a decent story throughout.  A really excellent game.

7 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Is the first game worth playing? £4.99 on PSN. Or should I just wait for this to drop in price?

Depends on who you ask, to be honest. If you're a fan of old fashioned survival horror games I personally feel there's a lot of value in the first game, but it certainly has its issues.

I'd say it's easily worth a fiver, though the sequel is far superior.

4 hours ago, Timmo said:

Is the first game worth playing? £4.99 on PSN. Or should I just wait for this to drop in price?

I didn't like the first one at all, but my pal loved it. It's pretty marmite. 

This game is slightly less unique but definitely much better. 

20 hours ago, df0 said:

I hope it did well enough to warrant a third entry in the franchise.

Aye, but there are some changes I would love to see. I would love a larger town to explore, and none of the disruption thing where parts of it is floating in the air. I would also want puzzles. 

Basically I want it to be more like Silent Hill 2.