The Evil Within 2 - Welcome to Resident Hill

Goose

Try and kill as many enemies as you can in stealth, I'd upgrade the crouch walking speed first when you have enough gel. Keep an eye out for statues of a white woman, crack em with the knife and you get a key to open a locker in the upgrade chair - some of them have tons of upgrade gel inside. Best tip I would give a new player is throw a bottle at an enemy to stun them then you can run up and OHK them with the knife. Save a ton of ammo early on doing this while it's scarce. 

Try control method 2 in options for a more traditional 3rd person set up. I couldn't get on with the default method. 

Finished it on Survival. Shiny, solid golden 9 out of 10. It truly is the love child of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Last of Us and the television series Hannibal. Against my expectations, I find The Evil Within 2 in my GotY list.

21 hours over two days.

Played more last night. 

Now, I've been playing a lot of Mario Odyssey lately and going from that to this is like being awake Vs being in one of those dreams where you're being chased but you're moving really slowly, like you're stuck in treacle. 

I'm not saying I expect the main character to run round with his arms outstretched, bounce off enemy heads and triple-jump his way to success, but fucking hell, man, does he have to be so fucking slow?? It's infuriating. 

Well, I caved at £19.99 in Game.  I played the first one all the way to the end despite not really enjoying any of it, and it's the comments in this thread that have lead me to buy this against my better judgement, as it does sound like it still retains all the elements that annoyed me the first time round.... 

You can head back into most of the open world to farm herbs. Also check a youtube video for location of the nurses keys as they often have tons of stuff inside.

On a nightmare playthrough now and having really struggled to begin with and promising myself I wouldn't put myself through it...I'm really enjoying it. No way would I have tackled it without knowing the location of all the nurses keys and secrets from prior playthroughs. That said

I wish they didn't off Stefano so early. I loved his oddly beautiful slo-mo artwork and his music. Much better than generic father guy, though I did enjoy his boss rush!

I just bought this tonight in the sale.

Whats the done thing for a PS4 pro? Turn the frame rate lock off? It’s definitely noticeable but i’m Not sure if it’s dipping Now and again.

Also does it not run over 1080p on a 1080p regardless of the option selected in the PS4 menu?

Kinda wish the options were a little more explanatory. I want the best frame rate at 1080p.

On 20/12/2017 at 13:19, df0 said:

Which are?

Evil Within 1 - I quit my job to take a year off, and remembered I'd barely started this game, and now I had a load of free time I'd give it a go.  I played it all the way to completion but for every thing I liked there were more that annoyed me, and I played it to the end just to get it over with.  

• Clunky character movement - this game was written by the people behind Resident Evil 4, but somehow the character moves like Ryu from Shenmue.
  • Difficulty spikes all over the place. They should ramp up the challenge over the levels, don't just stick an insanely difficult boss in the middle of level 3
  • Ultra long loading times between dying and restarting.
  • Level length inconsistent. Shall I play this tonight?  No, because I might be expected to do a 3 hour long level.
  • Traps impossible to see until you hear the warning beeps, then character control too clunky to do anything about it.  Do they expect me to crawl everywhere all the time?
  • So many upgrades.  No idea what to pick. Will the character upgrades stop him being so clunky?
  • Burning the bodies, nice idea, then pretty much forgotten about. 
  • What the hell is this story about?  Who are these people?
  • Everything so blue and grey - so soulless. Resident Evil 4's castle was brightly lit but still worked as a scary location.
  • This bloody story! No-one will ever understand this.
  • Another impossible boss!
  • Cut-scenes that are unskippable, yet trigger just after a savepoint so they play every bleeding time you lose a life.
  • Savepoints that don't allow you to head backwards.  Game saved when you have no ammo or health?  Tough shit mate.
  • Bosses that kill you with one hit.
  • Savepoints really far apart.
  • Complex set up assigning weapons and health to d-pad where your setup reverts back to the previous layout  if you lose a life.
  • Nothing of interest happens for the majority of the time, and sometimes it's difficult to know where you're supposed to be heading.

so, i got this for christmas and started it the other day. 

am fairly sure i picked up a boltcaster near a safe house, which was near the beginning (ish), but now i only seem to have ammo for it, and could have used it a few times on some doors.

do i need to retrace my steps and go back? 

:wacko:

On 23-12-2017 at 13:42, dumpster said:

Evil Within 1 - I quit my job to take a year off, and remembered I'd barely started this game, and now I had a load of free time I'd give it a go.  I played it all the way to completion but for every thing I liked there were more that annoyed me, and I played it to the end just to get it over with.  

• Clunky character movement - this game was written by the people behind Resident Evil 4, but somehow the character moves like Ryu from Shenmue.

Yeah, that never changes. But I found Seb's movement less annoying that in the original game.

• Difficulty spikes all over the place. They should ramp up the challenge over the levels, don't just stick an insanely difficult boss in the middle of level 3

I encountered none. Well, there might be one.

• Ultra long loading times between dying and restarting.

That is still present, but I died about 90% less in this game than in the original.

• Level length inconsistent. Shall I play this tonight?  No, because I might be expected to do a 3 hour long level.

The game auto-saves all the time and creates about 5 of em. You can go back 3 minutes, of 7, or 10. Whatever you decide.

• Traps impossible to see until you hear the warning beeps, then character control too clunky to do anything about it.  Do they expect me to crawl everywhere all the time?

None. No traps.

• So many upgrades.  No idea what to pick. Will the character upgrades stop him being so clunky?

Less upgrades. Only meaningful ones and by the end of the game you have accumulated all important ones such as Stamina increase and Health increase. Weapon upgrades use a different currency that is not rare.

• Burning the bodies, nice idea, then pretty much forgotten about. 

Gone.

• What the hell is this story about?  Who are these people?

Story telling is clear, concise and on par with The Last of Us. Characters have an arc.

• Everything so blue and grey - so soulless. Resident Evil 4's castle was brightly lit but still worked as a scary location.

Color and light.

• This bloody story! No-one will ever understand this.

Story telling is clear, concise and on par with The Last of Us. Characters have an arc.

• Another impossible boss!

None of that here,

• Cut-scenes that are unskippable, yet trigger just after a savepoint so they play every bleeding time you lose a life.

There are a few that are unskippable, but it never caused my issues. There are close to 0 stupid cheap insta-deaths.

• Savepoints that don't allow you to head backwards.  Game saved when you have no ammo or health?  Tough shit mate.

The game auto-saves all the time and creates about 5 of em. You can go back 3 minutes, of 7, or 10. Whatever you decide.

• Bosses that kill you with one hit.

Gone.

• Savepoints really far apart.

The game auto-saves all the time and creates about 5 of em. You can go back 3 minutes, of 7, or 10. Whatever you decide. Manual saves are done at a safe house.

• Complex set up assigning weapons and health to d-pad where your setup reverts back to the previous layout  if you lose a life.

Gone.

• Nothing of interest happens for the majority of the time, and sometimes it's difficult to know where you're supposed to be heading.

Story, quests, side quests. Clear as can be.

17 minutes ago, df0 said:

I am not sure I understand noob. You found the Boltcaster and you can indeed open some doors (less than a handful in the entire game as far as I can remember) with the Electric bolts.

I can't see it in my inventory...or select it to use otherwise

On 27/12/2017 at 14:05, df0 said:

If you picked it up you have gone through the mandatory tutorial. If not, go back and pick it up.

well thats annoying... 

went back to pick it up, and there was a wailing acid spewing thing there wit ha load of other zombies. managed to kill them all and its not there anymore. 

when you stand in front of the house now he says that i need a special weapon to open it, like one o' neal said. 

BUGGER... 

Scratch that, I found it elsewhere. Hurrah! 

I am a bad man.

Got this and gave it to my Mrs yesterday. She loves these types of games but gets scared by them as well. So much so she asked me to stay with her sometimes. In fairness I can't even play these sort of games unless it's something like Doom where I have many rounds of shotgun ammo that I can put into the enemies.

Anyway, so she's playing this while I'm upstairs on the PC, And it has been very quiet for a while. This gives me an idea. I pick up a spoon that's lying around in my office and go to the top of the stairs. The hallway at the bottom that also leads to our front room where's she's playing is wooden flooring.

I think you can guess where this is going.

I chuck the spoon at the floor, it bangs causing her to scream "JESUS!" and almost chuck the controller.

My punishment is doing the dishes. Worth it.

It's been mentioned before but the gun play in this is fantastic once you start upgrading. I've found a tactical shotgun that is insanely good for pretty much any enemy.

I sort-of-kind-of miss the jankiness of the first game, but they've really raised the bar with the sequel. There are loads of Resident Evil 4 nods in this too. Particularly in chapter 10. 

I've finished this now. All round it was decent, they certainly fixed all the complaints from the first one and added some excellent ideas.

The last 3 levels or so were completely bonkers!

Spoiler

Nice to see some old friends from the first game. Thankfully they were a damn sight easier than before!