The Evil Within 2 - Welcome to Resident Hill

Goose

And finished with little over 16 hours on the clock! I thought last part of the game was quite nice, what with the striking visuals and music score,  and overall I really enjoyed it. That said, it does fluctuate in terms of quality with some chapters feeling like they could've done without, and I would've preferred more of an emphasis on the open-zone parts as that's where the game shines. 

It might not have been as captivating as the first (there was just something about it for me) but a very solid sequel that I hope they follow up on with another one.

...which won't take itself too serious by then I hope.

Finished the other night. The last chapters are good, but in the leadup to that the game continues to go downhill. It slips into generic industrial horror with crap enemies, bosses and level designs, and some real frustrating difficulty spikes. Nothing interesting happens with the story either.

But overall it's a really good game, especially the first half. In the future I hope they stick with the open world formula, and play around with more cool ideas around STEM and its visuals, instead of continually reverting to this cliche mental hospital/hell/industrial horror stuff which is so boring. Evil Within 2 was at its best when it was going the Resident Evil route, and when it used cool ideas about the Stem environment, like the Marrow, and the abilities of the photographer. They nailed the balance for the most part on Nightmare, and the upgrade and ammo systems are great. They just need to tighten up the controls and actions, polish it a bit and add a decent story and they could be onto a series up to the standards of the best Resi games.

Are they doing DLC for this? And if they are, my money is on:

The dude you help escape Stem, who has a 1 in 5 chance of making it out, otherwise he will go to a deeper layer of Stem, a dream within a dream. He's a cool guy too and I reckon he might be the DLC, whatever madness he gets sent into.

Finished this. Overall I think Edge's 6 is pretty fair to be honest. The game peaks very early, in chapter 3 of 17 in fact, certainly in the first half of the game. The second half of the game is significantly less interesting and has some really crappy bits. I thought the final boss was a dreadful chore and the tiny bit of interaction you have on the final chapter felt like a static shooting gallery 15 years out of date. 

Like the first game there's something potentially great at the core of this which just isn't quite being fully realised. It's for very different reasons though. The first game was a visual feast and endlessly inventive but it was also frustrating and unbalanced. The second game is generally a much smoother and less annoying game but it is visually often quite plain and is markedly less creative in its set piece and encounter design. I certainly got the impression it was lower budget than the first game. 

I don't know if I want Tango to try and fully realise this, finally, in a third game or just move on. The story feels mostly done and to be honest the dialogue and characters are rubbish so... they clearly left some stuff in that they could hang a sequel on but I think I'd rather them just create something new. The sales of this game have probably all but guaranteed that actually. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a 10x improvement on the original game, I'm really enjoying it. I just beat the chapter 8 boss and was really impressed by the high levels of visual and audio creativity on display. I'm actually quite taken aback by how good it is - easily the best sequel to bethesda's recent output (I found wolf 2 and dishonored 2 bitterly dissapointing follow ups)

And finished. Really good last couple of hours. The final boss was fantastic, despite it being ruined by a YouTube thumbnail (people who do this are absolute BASTARDS.)

Looking forward to going in again on a tougher difficulty. 

My only complaint is the amount of times Sebastian says "Lily?!?!" if you had a drink everytime he says her name... You'd be dead by the end! 

A spectacular improvement on the first game though. I really did not like that game at all. Give it a go if your on the fence, a great buy for the twenty quid you can grab it at. 

Allow me to chime in and echo these thoughts. I finished this at the weekend and thought it was brilliant. Better than RE7 imo.

The last few chapters are impeccably paced, there were sections on my nightmare run where I genuinely felt like things were getting too much, in a good way.

You get a real sense of things getting worse and worse and worse and worse, your ammo depletes and you feel genuinely outnumbered by increasingly horrifying enemies.

I thought the story was actually pretty compelling and well told, and surprisingly emotional towards the end.

The enemies are straight out of Silent Hill, the 'dogs' and crying women are the fucking worst. And I put Japanese voice on which it made it feel like a kind of Takashi Miike B--movie.

Looking forward to the DLC if they ever get round to it, and also more open world horror pls devs!

Ok, so this game is now 20 quid on PSN as part of a weekend deal. As someone who absolutely hated the original (nothing made sense, no rules, checkpoints before unskippable cutscenes, no story, instadeaths, trial & error etc etc) can you recommend this to me? Is it a carbon copy of the first one or something completely different and better?

edit: I scrolled up and read Down By Law’s comment.

I hated the original game something fierce, but apart from a couple of odd design decisions this is genuinely really good. One of those games I put on 'for an hour' and I'm still going 3 hours later.  I highly recommend starting on casual though (which is still challenging) as survival is almost too difficult at the start until you start leveling up. Nightmare seems like a challenge I'd have dug 10 years ago, but now I can't be arsed.

On 12/1/2017 at 10:37, Jonzo said:

The crying women are the fucking worst

oh my god the ones with the knives that scream and run at you full pelt proper shit me up the first time I encountered them. I even stealth 'killed' the one with a knife to the skull and she still came after me with some sort of insane fury usually reserved for bosses in other games.

In other news I finally got the full barreled shotgun on my second playthrough and this thing is a wonderful destroyer of bodies. Legs, arms, anything goes pop!

(nicked gif from gaf)

tew2_gif_by_chabbles-dbvcxpu.gif

Just after midnight and I have to make myself go to bed. Been playing this for 7 hours and 27 minutes according to the saved game timer. So far this is absolutely fantastic, it takes Resident Evil plus Silent Hill plus Last of Us, throws in some fun and clever dialogues, adds characters with personality and does away with most stupid shit the original pulled.

I didn't play Evil Within 1 either, its really not necessary to understand this one. I would however check out a plot summary of it, like a YouTube recap, just so you know who the characters are in 2, what the flashbacks are about and what Stem is.

Ps if you have shotgunned the screaming ladies arms off, how do they attack you?

I love this sequel and I hated the first game. Best review it can get.

Seriously, this made my GotY 2017 List. I am nearing the end, will write a tad longer verdict before midnight.

edit: I do recommend playing through the first game, do it on easy with cheats (PC?) if you want to. It is not mandatory to understand the sequel, but it helps.