The Evil Within 2 - Welcome to Resident Hill

Goose

9 hours ago, Goose said:

I think I made it to chapter 4 of the first game and moved on to something else. But recently I’ve been watching a playthrough and feeling like I stopped playing just before it became RE4.5.

My PC can’t run it and with the PS4 in the living room my chance of revisiting it would be very limited. Bugger.

I played the game all the way through to completion because it always feels like it's going to become something really good, but it never does.  It's stupidly difficult and clunky and broken, and I played for hours.

Wow, I think I need to pay more attention to what I'm playing, It was a while back so I'll cut myself a little slack but on the whole I don't think I picked up on a lot of that plot while playing it! Been spending money like water recently on games.. under £25 is sooo tempting..

The one concern I have with this is that the simulation conceit makes it hard to care about anything, you can have all the creepy transforming environments you want, but it just seems arbitrary if anything can happen at any time, and there's no reason to care about anything happening.

Outlast 2 did a similar thing with psychological stuff where you didn't know if it was real or not and it just resulted in the game losing most people.

1 hour ago, RobNoyce said:

Wow, I think I need to pay more attention to what I'm playing, It was a while back so I'll cut myself a little slack but on the whole I don't think I picked up on a lot of that plot while playing it! Been spending money like water recently on games.. under £25 is sooo tempting..

A lot of the plot was hidden away in the DLC I seem to remember.

Reviews trickling in. They only got review copies on Tuesday so some outlets not finished yet:

Polygon - Not finished yet.....'I don’t know if The Evil Within 2 will be able to work this magic right up until the credits — which seem a lot further off than they did in the first game — but for now, I’m extremely impressed. The game just keeps tossing everything it has at me, and every time I think I’ve seen it all, it gives me some unique revelation, some dreadful apparition I’ve yet to encounter. That push and pull, between wanting to see what the game has in store next and being terrified to find out — that delightful feeling is why I play horror games, and so far this one is nailing it.'

Gamesradar - 3.5/5

Eurogamer Italy gave it 8/10 - 'It won't be remembered as the best horror game of 2017, but it will certainly send some chills down your spine'

US Gamer - Not finished yet but 'what the studio has produced is, so far, a much better game than the first...I haven't finished the game, but it feels like it's right around the corner. From what I've played so far though, The Evil Within 2 is everything I wanted from the first game. Every major complaint I had about the first game is at least addressed in some manner, though the tweaks aren't always perfect. It's a unique psychological horror title with Resident Evil 4's action combat. Tentatively, for those folks who weren't a fan of Capcom's reboot with Resident Evil 7, The Evil Within offers something that you might like, while blazing its own trail.'

Too long, didn't watch - he liked it but rated it as wait for a sale. 

Performance is ok but the engine is showing its age, resulting in bizarre pop-up. PC version is stable, and the addition of more colour makes a difference, but he goes on to say that at times the Evil Within 1 actually looked better. Sound is good, but voice acting is a bit hit and miss. 

Story is better, more fluid, and a lot of the side quests flesh out others parts of what is going on. He was also impressed how the story removed or locked off certain side quests after something had happened in the game world or story. The ability to craft on the fly bugged him as it took him out of the game world (I'm pretty sure you could craft on the fly in the original?) because I think the guy all but sets up a crafting table in the midst of battle.

Lots to like but it feels like a game of two or three different styles squashed together and it isn't always successful. The open(ish) world does work well but Sebastian still walks too slowly, and the collision detection in melee battles is all over the place.

Some minor spoilers (plus an overview of the plot, which you'll know if you've seen the trailers) but as I understand it, they're embargoed in showing anything beyond chapter 7.

19 hours ago, Majora said:

Reviews trickling in. They only got review copies on Tuesday so some outlets not finished yet:

Polygon - Not finished yet.....'I don’t know if The Evil Within 2 will be able to work this magic right up until the credits — which seem a lot further off than they did in the first game — but for now, I’m extremely impressed. The game just keeps tossing everything it has at me, and every time I think I’ve seen it all, it gives me some unique revelation, some dreadful apparition I’ve yet to encounter. That push and pull, between wanting to see what the game has in store next and being terrified to find out — that delightful feeling is why I play horror games, and so far this one is nailing it.'

Gamesradar - 3.5/5

Eurogamer Italy gave it 8/10 - 'It won't be remembered as the best horror game of 2017, but it will certainly send some chills down your spine'

US Gamer - Not finished yet but 'what the studio has produced is, so far, a much better game than the first...I haven't finished the game, but it feels like it's right around the corner. From what I've played so far though, The Evil Within 2 is everything I wanted from the first game. Every major complaint I had about the first game is at least addressed in some manner, though the tweaks aren't always perfect. It's a unique psychological horror title with Resident Evil 4's action combat. Tentatively, for those folks who weren't a fan of Capcom's reboot with Resident Evil 7, The Evil Within offers something that you might like, while blazing its own trail.'

So in a rush to get reviews out there they aren't even finishing the game.. pretty poor. But hey it is Polygon I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

They're doing reviews in progress, no? Pretty common these days for large games, games that rely on online components to shine or games they weren't given until the last minute. 

Big online games I understand but this just seems like your standard single player 3rd person adventure game... just struck me as a bit desperate to get it out there first.

Yeah, which is why I think it falls into the last category I mentioned: getting the review copy late. For what it's worth I don't disagree with you, and it is really odd that a supposedly big game has come out today and yet the reviews are only trickling in slowly. There's been a few more, now. 8/10 from both IGN and GameSpot, for example. But apart from a marketing push (I keep seeing that bloody weird poster for it where everything's made of milk everywhere online!), it seems to have released to little fanfare. 

31 minutes ago, U-1 said:

Big online games I understand but this just seems like your standard single player 3rd person adventure game... just struck me as a bit desperate to get it out there first.

Bethesda has decided not to send out early review copies anymore for any of their games since DOOM 2016. I would blame them for the most part, it's not exactly in the consumer's best interest to prevent reviews from appearing on or before launch day.

Oh but I almost forgot to mention that Bethesda's excuse/explanation was that they want everyone, consumers and reviewers alike, to experience their games at the same time. For the best experience. They're only keeping our best interests at heart. But of course  trusted and sponsored YouTubers are still provided with early copies to do their positive streams, sometimes weeks early. It's just potentially critical reviews that are blocked from appearing on time.

Edit: sorry for going off topic, this is something that annoys me from Bethesda and seeing people blaming the reviewers I felt the need to say something. I hope this game is good of course!

Yeah, I would put the blame on Bethesda rather than the reviewing outlets. If the game was a dud you would rather read it in a review-in-progress the day before release. Also with the speed everything moves at nowadays, if you release a review several days after release it may as well not exist unless you're a 'personality' like Jim Sterling. The clicks for conventional game websites all come if you manage to get it out before release, not a carefully considered opinion afterwards.

Digital Foundry are saying there’s no Pro support. I thought that was against the (Sony) law?

Disappointing if so, the videos I’ve watched tend to be drenched in darkness and shadow and is screaming out for HDR. Resi 7 would have been a very different experience without it. 

Yeah no pro features, not even 4k upscale but then that suits me fine at least. I kinda wish this game had a menu option to completely buckle the frame rate and add black bars in. I would so play it like that :)

As for reviews , the youtubers can go f@ck themselves with their fake enjoyment while they eat their plate of vegitables.

I do understand where Bethesda are coming from though. Wolfenstein got mediocre reviews but a lot of people liked it in the end via word of mouth. Then Doom came out and everyone expected it to be shit but it did well for them.