IGNORED

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Goose

Started getting on with the stealth more here. There's less room to fuck up in the early game

Spoiler

before your head gets lopped off and you get more health (It makes sense in context!)

However, generally guards have a set route, and sometime syou can take out the commander first. Others you might have to take out some guards on the way to the commander.

Got this as a birthday present at the weekend and I'm enjoying it but I feel very disconnected from the main character. Maybe it's cause I've been playing a lot of Destiny and you don't hear the character whereas with this I feel constantly bugged by his internal chatter.

I have also got lost a few times which is unusual for me because I'm usually really good at mapping a game in my head but so many areas I've dealt with have been so repetitive and samey that I've struggled with finding the right place to go.

Finished this last night. Jees, did they get the difficulty level wrong or what?

image.png.0d70e20dc2fd40f153004c8a87839b08.png

Started on Bring 'em on, lasted an hour and died a hundred deaths before selecting Don't hurt me. For the final boss fight against the big buggers on the aircraft I ended up selecting Can I play, Daddy just to get it finished. When I read how people are running and gunning through this I don't know how they do it, because the only way of staying alive was to keep down and distant from everything that breathes. 

That aside, the story was a hoot, wasn't it?

40 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I haven't found it as hard as many seem to have. I think something is bugged about the difficulty or enemy damage or something. 

14 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Probably helps that I'm playing on PC mind you. 

That video on the last page talks about the gulf in difficulty between controller and mouse on the PC. I was using a controller.

DLC dates:

wolfenstein-II-dlc.jpg

Episode Zero

Episode Zero introduces you to Joseph Stallion, Jessica Valiant and Gerald Wilkins as they fight for freedom in the American Territories. Blast your way through Nazis using unique abilities and an arsenal of guns in this opening DLC mission.

The Adventures of Gunslinger Joe

As former professional quarterback Joseph Stallion, smash through Nazi hordes from the ruins of Chicago to the vastness of space!

The Diaries of Agent Silent Death

As ex-OSS agent and assassin Jessica Valiant, infiltrate Nazi bunkers in California and discover the secrets of Operation San Andreas!

The Amazing Deeds of Captain Wilkins

As the US Army’s renowned hero Captain Gerald Wilkins, embark on a mission to Nazi-controlled Alaska to dismantle Operation Black Sun!

Will buy the season pass as soon as I'm done with the main game. :)

Just now, VN1X said:

AHA! Tell me of these bugs! 

Same as the ones I've had?

I just ranted at you via Steam for cursing me.  I hadn't had a single bug until I told you I hadn't had a single bug, so SCREW YOU!

The first five hours or so were entirely bug free.  Now I'm regularly getting textures not loading and cut-scenes failing to trigger, necessitating a fecking Ctrl Alt Del to Task Manager to get out.  PC's lol.

10 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I just ranted at you via Steam for cursing me.  I hadn't had a single bug until I told you I hadn't had a single bug, so SCREW YOU!

The first five hours or so were entirely bug free.  Now I'm regularly getting textures not loading and cut-scenes failing to trigger, necessitating a fecking Ctrl Alt Del to Task Manager to get out.  PC's lol.

Hah apologies! but seems about right yes. For me it's mostly been stuff like the game not loading a quick save (only way out is through task manager) or very rarely the game will just stop dead in its tracks which also requires me to task manage it. 

Thankfully loading back into the game after I've restarted is a matter of mere seconds as I've disabled all of the intro movies. So starting up the game instantly puts me back into the main menu. PC's! 

I think the level design is quite confusing. I kept getting lost and the map being useless. Always mitigated my enjoyment and delayed me a bit. I'm usually pretty good finding where I need to go. Never had this problem in a game in a long time.

I think the difficulty comes from not really knowing when you take damage, or feel like you are. The red around the screen isn't particular very visible. Doesn't help that you feel quite neutered at the beginning hp wise.

For all its difficulty, I didn't have a problem with the level design. I quite liked the sprawl and having to use the map screen on occasion. Made it feel bigger.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/117155-Zero-Punctuation-Reviews-Wolfenstein-2-The-New-Colossus

Yahtzee's review is pretty harsh, I thought. Didn't help that he said you couldn't kill Hitler. You can. There's an achievement for doing just that.

6 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

£22.99 in Game!

I know the reaction in this thread hasn't been great but for that price you could buy it, sell it to CEX online for 26 quid cash or 30 quid exchange, play through the game and then still make 4 or 8 quid from it (CEX will hold the trade-in price for 10 days once you complete the sale, more than enough time to complete the game).

Might pop into my local GAME at lunch and see if this offer is available there or if it's just one store doing it.

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I know the reaction in this thread hasn't been great but for that price you could buy it, sell it to CEX online for 26 quid cash or 30 quid exchange, play through the game and then still make 4 or 8 quid from it (CEX will hold the trade-in price for 10 days once you complete the sale, more than enough time to complete the game).

Might pop into my local GAME at lunch and see if this offer is available there or if it's just one store doing it.

Could you explain this? Is this an online thing or does it work in store as well?

If you sell stuff to CEX online they will give you a pre-paid label to print off to post it back, so it's just the cost of the envelope to put it in really. I sell stuff to them online all the time, would rather do that and wait a little longer for the cash to go in my bank balance than have to go in a store and risk getting told they have no money. 

Well that was a disappointing ending. :lol:

It just screamed "we ran out of time and money" and I honestly thought it was a dream sequence at first as there was zero setup and no indication how you even got there to begin with. Considering the battle that took place literally 2 minutes before it you would have guessed the antagonist to have taken notice of that lol (ie: expecting your arrival and not just sitting there, twiddling their thumbs). How very odd.

I'm not too sure about getting the season pass now either as the cracks definitely started to show towards the end there. The Übercommando missions simply felt like chores and some of them featured some very bad lighting as well which was off-putting. I have no issue with repurposing old content (when its done right) but here it just seemed like lazy padding. They could've spiced things up a bit by providing new challenges or whatever instead of simply changing the time of day and letting you start somewhere else. 

It's a shame they didn't do anything with that twist either by, for example, having enemies react to you differently than before. They completely squander the potential to have some fun with that and when they do it's already too late as the game ends 3 seconds after. 

All in all it was an enjoyable game but I don't think I'll be replaying this any time soon on its hardest difficulty setting or to mop up the remaining collectables. It was a fun ride and the writing, soundtrack, and characters were all brilliant but ultimately it felt rushed and not as tight as TNO.