rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

7 hours ago, Meh said:

It's the level just after the radioactive one, which was a shockingly bad looking area.

Ah I remember now. I though it looked quite good but all this talk has made me reinstall The New Order to compare the art and the level design and there's no comparison. The New Order has a much more organic feel while Colossus feels "snapped together" from pre-made blocks (in much the same way as character blocks on the C64 worked, as graphic "stamps".

23 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Ah I remember now. I though it looked quite good but all this talk has made me reinstall The New Order to compare the art and the level design and there's no comparison. The New Order has a much more organic feel while Colossus feels "snapped together" from pre-made blocks (in much the same way as character blocks on the C64 worked, as graphic "stamps".

I agree, but I do think the lighting and effect work going on (and the character animations) elevate it.

• Upvote 1

I think it looks absolutely amazing. I lasered a door and the particle effects were like nothing iv ever seen before. 

I bought this in the Christmas sale and started it a few days ago.

I wasn’t quite prepared for how much of a change it is.

For the most part I would say the gameplay is decent. Definitely nothing special about it.

Some things are problematic. I can’t see shit half the time, I’d kill for a torch in this game.

The sound is generally really bad from a mix point of view. It doesn’t seem to matter how loud I have my TV, there’s really no spacial awareness in terms of sound.

I’ve had a few reloads after dying where a split second later I’m getting jacked up by gunfire and explosions which is something I;ve not seen game do for many many years.

The cut scenes though. Very entertaining. Love the characters and the story is utterly batshit.

I get the feeling the people who made the cut scenes and wrote the dialogue and characters will one day end up working for Rockstar, the rest of the game doesn’t live up to the whackyness but it’s certainly passable.

The level design is borderline bad though I think...

I do find it weird how many people bounced off this, because it's basically identical to the first game. Crazy difficultly spikes, bullet sponge enemies, settings that sound interesting on paper but almost always boil down to identical grey corridors and warehouses. London in the original was really bad for this.

If anything I think The Old Blood had the best balance overall, and even that has a few insanely difficult sections, like when you escape the torture chair. Machine Games seem to be addicted to sections where you start with no weapons/ammo but are surrounded by enemies, the court room in New Colossus was exactly the same.

• Upvote 1

It's really not the same.  They wrecked the plot, gun play and stealth mechanics which made the first one great.

• Upvote 1

Nah, I played them all back-to-back. They're mechanically identical. I agree the first one was a better game overall, but it definitely benefitted from being released during the next-gen exclusive honeymoon period.

The gunplay was definitely wrecked for the sequel, along with the feedback of getting shot. Very disappointing.

Yeah, I normally hate stealth in games but TNO and TOB both were designed around taking it seriously and rewarding its use. TNC for some reason decides that charging in guns blazing must always be an option (probably something to do with Doom 2016 selling a billion copies), and the whole illusion of stealth mattering or you facing off against AI that poses any kind of threat evaporates.