Jump to content
rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Have you played either on Switch?

 

He wouldn't need to, presumably they're 30fps with decreased fidelity, both a big impact on quality of life and difficulty. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But with gyro aiming, which is superior to stick aiming. I must admit. That's the one thing tempting me to this version. I doubt I could play Doom without it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm amazed they got it working at all, but for me it's a big screen adventure romp. Surely it's bordering on illegal too if it's not playable out of the box. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tumble Cream said:

 

He wouldn't need to, presumably they're 30fps with decreased fidelity, both a big impact on quality of life and difficulty. 

Portability and adaptability, both great beneficiaries in my life. I'm sure they both play fine, it just depends what you're looking for. Besides if you've never played other versions you've norhing to gauge them against anyway and will judge them on their own merit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I totally see that, hopefully with good aim-assist. In a darkened room with ear buds it's probably awesome. I think you need to play part one first though to really hit those story heights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a 16gb cartridge, not 8gb. Total install size is 23gb. You can play the first half of the game without downloading anything. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

But with gyro aiming, which is superior to stick aiming. I must admit. That's the one thing tempting me to this version. I doubt I could play Doom without it now. 

But not mouse aiming, although it's close. (As I believe I've said before, I'd kill for a Switch port of RE4 with gyro.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Portability and adaptability, both great beneficiaries in my life. I'm sure they both play fine, it just depends what you're looking for. Besides if you've never played other versions you've norhing to gauge them against anyway and will judge them on their own merit.

If you've only watched 2001 A Space Odyssey on a fifth generation VHS you'd be none the wiser of what it's like in the cinema either. A stupid argument.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

If you've only watched 2001 A Space Odyssey on a fifth generation VHS you'd be none the wiser of what it's like in the cinema either. A stupid argument.

That is a pretty awful comparison you're right. Get out of here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game is really great fun, it has a good script, is very well acted and just looks spectacular. Hats off to Machine Games. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m throughly enjoying this... I’m amazed at what’ve they’ve done with the switch version. The story is superb, it’s bonkers and relevant at the same time and the action is great.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made it off of 

 



Venus with the codes

 

what a roller coaster. A great laugh. The ‘actor’ bit was amazing. Still blown away about how good this looks on the switch.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is done with their PS4 copy of this and fancies a swap for Dark Souls Remastered, drop me a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many absolute MENTAL bits in this but... I think my favourite has to be

 



Pregnant topless Anya saving BJ at the end, splattered in blood with two machine guns... Genuinely one of the most absolutely mental scenes in a game ever.  

 

I can see why the Pepe Le Frog crew weren't happy with this game... and I love it all the more for it.  More I think about it, the better it gets.

 

Now... on to assinate some more Oberkomander Nazi Fucks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I caved and bought it, despite having the PC version and not really enjoying it. One of the reasons I did is because I could trade some shit in and get it for about 7 quid. Another was my curiosity of the game on a technical level. I just wanted to see how good a job panic button had done on a game I thought was going to be very tough to do.

 Bizarrely, for me at least, the game works much better as a portable experience than it did on my PC. Part of the reason for this is thanks to remembering a lot of the game I could just bypass some of it's crappy level design and not spend about an hour wondering around trying to find something that was illogically placed. 

 Another reason is that the game lends itself very well to a quick dip in and dip out, do any area with a commander and just save or pause and jump back in another time. In some ways doom is similar...find a room, pull out the guts of the thing at the centre and clear it out. 

 Tech wise it's clear panic button prioritised a steady-ish 30 fps over everything else. Resolution can get very low at times but it's never horrifically so and the switch screen covers a multitude of sins. Still it's remarkable that geometry levels remain intact as do some of the fancy particle effects. Textures aren't great in detail but that's more down to the lower memory amount of the switch. With 8 gigs instead of 4 maybe it could have done a better job.

 Gyro control also is very welcome and makes taking out people with headshots much easier than just using dual analog. 

 So some tech issues aside and some bad design issues there is a lot to enjoy in this port. A better game perhaps than I remember it being. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've killed all the ubercommanders now - the last one in particular was a great challenge.  Slightly dissappointed that there was no cut-scene reward once I'd cleared all the map of FUCKING NAZIS.

 

Loved it though.  Didn't have the level design problems that people seemed to complain about, and thought it was always entertaining and great fun.  I hope we get the DLC.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought the DLC for Xbox, though still need to go back for the Überkommanders.

 

Also only had one issue with the level design where I kept falling through a hole into some water and getting shot to pieces. I have zero awareness of my location in video games most of the time, so these criticisms worried me at first, so surprised that it was piece of piss to find your way around. Also, you can bring up a waypoint marker if you're lost.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has to one of the best looking games I've ever played. All round it's bloody marvelous. I just wish there was an option to auto pick things up.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2018 at 06:56, mexos said:

This has to one of the best looking games I've ever played. All round it's bloody marvelous. I just wish there was an option to auto pick things up.

 

 

Weirdly enough when I was playing it recently I was picking things up automatically sometimes? Armour mainly.

 

I've just played through this and the DLC and I loved the main game. Amazing time the whole way through (I did play on easy though because I'm getting old.)

 

The DLC though is a little slight for the asking price. You're looking at close to two hours each with very mild story. Each of the three basically use in each of them one of the contraptions from the same game. Pick of the bunch would be episode 2 which is all about stealth. It's very satisfying to creep though a level unnoticed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I started this properly like, yesterday, and... err... oh dear...

 

Level design is mostly meh, with some seriously bland-looking environments. Enemies are bullet sponges. Guns have far too much kickback.

 

I'll go through it, I guess, but I'm not feeling it at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Meh said:

So I started this properly like, yesterday, and... err... oh dear...

 

Level design is mostly meh, with some seriously bland-looking environments. Enemies are bullet sponges. Guns have far too much kickback.

 

I'll go through it, I guess, but I'm not feeling it at all.

 

The level design is really odd, and definitely not as good as the original. Took me a second play through to get to grips with it and not constantly get lost in certain areas.

 

But, I still love the thing and the characters and pretty much everything to do with it :)

 

There are bits later on that I made me drop my jaw in terms of how much they could get away with in terms of humour/horror type scenarios.

 

Plus, it's another example of just how fucking good the ID engine is - it's seriously gorgeous in many, many areas.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not even that impressive looking - probably because you spend so long in shit locations. I got as far as the bit where you meet the woman with the baby and the nazis burst in.

 

It's probably one of the worst set-pieces I've experienced in a long, long time. Like, seriously, who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

 

It's going on the back-burner for a loooooong fucking time. Utter shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Meh said:

It's not even that impressive looking - probably because you spend so long in shit locations. I got as far as the bit where you meet the woman with the baby and the nazis burst in.

 

It's probably one of the worst set-pieces I've experienced in a long, long time. Like, seriously, who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

 

It's going on the back-burner for a loooooong fucking time. Utter shit.

 

Try dropping it down to easy? I did and really enjoyed it. However it's a bit of a weird one. People either seem to love or hate the game.

 

I don't remember that set piece though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoeK said:

 

The level design is really odd, and definitely not as good as the original. Took me a second play through to get to grips with it and not constantly get lost in certain areas.

 

 

It is a shame that the id/MachineGames relationship isn't like the id/Raven setup in the old days, where they'd take the previous game's engine and soup it up loads. Id Tech 6 is so geared towards the priorities of Doom 2016. You get the odd set piece area (like the start of the New York level) but most of the levels are snapped together from prefabricated chunks. The Venus base level is so bad. And the Panzerhund sewer level. All the story stuff was incredible though. I hope they take their time with Wolf3, get the balance back again.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

 

It is a shame that the id/MachineGames relationship isn't like the id/Raven setup in the old days, where they'd take the previous game's engine and soup it up loads. Id Tech 6 is so geared towards the priorities of Doom 2016. You get the odd set piece area (like the start of the New York level) but most of the levels are snapped together from prefabricated chunks. The Venus base level is so bad. And the Panzerhund sewer level. All the story stuff was incredible though. I hope they take their time with Wolf3, get the balance back again.

 

That explains a lot. I've just switched back to The New Order and the levels feel much more organic and less squared off (if that makes sense.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

 

Try dropping it down to easy? I did and really enjoyed it. However it's a bit of a weird one. People either seem to love or hate the game.

 

I don't remember that set piece though.

 

 

It's the level just after the radioactive one, which was a shockingly bad looking area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.