Good retro gaming YouTube channels

So we've a nice thread where we share our YouTube shenanigans and the well deserved Kim Justice thread. But what other YouTube channels do you watch that deal with retro gaming?

My top picks are

Gamesack. Somewhat snobby in their approach they do know how to make a show

Mentski. Sadly not as prolific as he used to be. One credit champ is still a good watch

Chinnyvision. Great channel focusing mainly on home micros. He's not monetised and appears to be doing it as a labour of love 

Retrocore. Nice mix of console game reviews, pickups and the great Battle of the Ports episodes.

Ahoy. Does some great retro bits. Mainly known for his iconic arms/COD videos 

What else is out there?

Happyconsolegamer - does a mix of new and old stuff.

Digital Foundry Retro - I'm a big fan of the retro episodes John Linneman does on Digital Foundry. There's a playlist on there of about 30 or so episodes.

MyLifeinGaming - Lots of videos dedicated to getting the best picture etc out of your consoles and good few episodes dedicated to the games themselves. Really well produced.

LazyGameReviews - This guy covers a lot of old ms-dos and windows games mainly.

That's about all I can think of at the minute. 

The Spectrum Show - Paul Jenkinson produces a top class effort each episode.

Johns Arcade - An American arcade collector who I find enjoyable to watch although I know a lot of people don't like his voice.

Zuesdaz - Playthroughs on real hardware often with commentary.

Nostalgia Nerd - Seems to cover similar topics to Kim Justice but he also does a UK take of Clint's (Lazy Game Reviews) thrift series.

Njenkin - Mainly reviews Spectrum & Amiga games, with a sprinkling of humour.

Lawnboys Post 1975 - Low budget but honest reviews, vlogs & occasional pick ups.

The retro channels I regularly watch are:

LawnboysPost1975 - for the reasons mentioned above

Mamemeister - good mix of content (primarily retro) and a weekly 'waffle'

... and a couple of old faves: 'Steve Benway' and 'Classic Game Room'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClassicGameRoom - not to everyone's taste, but he is back on Youtube after a while away.

Polaventris - Finnish guy makes short videos showing off some C64 games. Good for finding some random stuff.

SlopesGameRoom - very well put-together videos on retro gaming. I ignore his obsession with vinyl game soundtracks though.

Cannot Be Tamed - mainly watch her for the in-depth PC game reviews

Dan Wood - Amiga-centric, good stuff.

GeneralLotz - emphasis on retro PC gaming

GGManLives - straight-talking Aussie guy mainly reviews FPSs, not all retro but enough to be noted here

Geoff Neil - Spectrum-heavy chat+footage

LemonTubeAmiga / LemonTube64 - this northerner does "playguides and reviews" of various games, he has a unique style

Matt Barton - Matt chat, interviews many US-based people involved in games gone by

DOS Nostalgia - billed as a podcast, occasional videos talking about old PC gaming

The Oliver Twins - occasional look backs at their old games

RetroDemoScene - properly-captured scene demos (Amiga/C64)

Shooting Game Weekly (STGweekly) - hardcore shmup playthroughs and chat

Studio Mudprints - home of Bullet Heaven, new and retro shmup reviews, well made

Xyphoe - Amstrad CPC-centric channel, you have to admire this guy's passion for the CPC

Witchfinder1976 - a bit quiet of late but his Mastertronic Chronicles series is worth a watch

should probably spend less time on Youtube and more time playing games.

Metal Jesus Rocks - Went through a rocky patch (sorry) but he seems to be back on form. Big retro collector and has various guests on his show, a persona favourite being Kelsey Lewin who has to stand on a box. She's lovely!

John Hancock - Has an enormous retro collection, videos are a bit low budget but he's likeable.

Pushing Up Roses - Mostly adventure game reviews, she loves her point n click games.

The Mexican Runner - Speed runner of sorts. He's apparently completed ever NES game and recorded them all.

Arcade Impossible - Guys who pick up cheap arcades for their basement. 

RandomGaminginHD - Retro PC tech and low budget PC gaming.

Phils Computer Lab - Retro PC builds and gaming.

The 8-Bit Guy - Retro tech rebuilds, maintenance etc.

And already mentioned above...

Nostalgia Nerd,

Lazy Game Reviews,

Dan Wood,

Classic Game Room,

John's Arcade,

Gamesack,

Game Chasers 

I don't have a TV license, I just watch shit on YouTube...

7 hours ago, StoooTube said:

Metal Jesus Rocks - Went through a rocky patch (sorry) but he seems to be back on form. Big retro collector and has various guests on his show, a persona favourite being Kelsey Lewin who has to stand on a box. She's lovely!

John Hancock - Has an enormous retro collection, videos are a bit low budget but he's likeable.

The Mexican Runner - Speed runner of sorts. He's apparently completed ever NES game and recorded them all.

These are the only 3 in the thread I recognise so far. MJR is a funny guy, though his hidden gems could go more in depth.

TMR has so much charm, watching his NESMANIA was awesome

Weird, i dont actually watch any retro gamer people. Huh, should check out some

• 2 months later...
On 08/06/2017 at 00:15, Swainy said:

Johns Arcade - An American arcade collector who I find enjoyable to watch although I know a lot of people don't like his voice.

John's posted on Facebook that he'll be at the Manchester Play Expo in October!

• 1 month later...

Here's a few I've just discovered:

My life in Gaming , good quick reviews 

iretrogamer is good too, especially as he is lucky enough to have a dad who while he was growing up videoed his childhood. I really recommend the master system episode 

also it's a pixel thing is nice, he's very enthusiastic! 

• 2 weeks later...

That DOOM video is great.  Really informative.  The pretty awful SNES version was my first taste of a game I'm still in love with to this day, but looking at it now, it's incredibly impressive they were able to get a version of it running on a 16-bit console at all, albeit with a little extra help.  Great stuff.

• 3 months later...

The most recent DF retro video is a 45 minute documentary about the Donkey Kong Country games (and KI) with developer interviews. 

Even though I don't love the game THAT much (although I have fond memories of it),  the video is pretty interesting. Linneman's stuff is getting better every time,especially in terms of production, editing etc. Features the My Life In Gaming guy!

7 hours ago, katastrophic88 said:

AVGN is my go to. Though he's angry about every game, he digs up some unheard of titles (like Seaman) that I would check out in a heartbeat. 

Surely everyone on this forum knows about Seaman?

Dunno if it counts as shennanigans but I've been posting stuff to Youtube since 2009 and in the last couple of days I finally hit 1 million views across my vids :o I just post dribble so it's quite the achievement :lol:

Untitled.jpg

I was lucky to get 5 a week when I started!

• 2 years later...

For some newer Retro ones (although people who watch my show Yesterzine will have seen some of these get pimped)

I'll do the forum posters who post seperately.

James O'Grady goes method on Spectrum games, he's the only man who can turn a Spectrum game into a motion picture.

He also covers type in games, which is already good but he goes to the trouble of working out what's wrong with them and fixing them to make better games.

It's difficult to stand out as a straight reviewer but RTS knows his shit and he's funny with it.  He's also got one of the best voices on YouTube.

I did just realised they wouldn't have heard me pimp them because they're respectively the ads in the 1st and 4th episodes of the new series!

Also previously pimped in said show is the channel of the fine poster above me.

On 12/03/2020 at 22:07, Dudley said:

It's difficult to stand out as a straight reviewer but RTS knows his shit and he's funny with it.  He's also got one of the best voices on YouTube.

Thanks for the heads up on RTS - really been enjoying his videos since I saw this post.