rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
buizel

Starcraft - NOW FREE!

So this game don't need much of an introduction. It's now free for everyone and couldnt see a SC1 thread...

184087-starcraft.png

Download Here: https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20674424

EUR servers are pretty empty atm, I like playing UMS games with friends, but also like traditional SC games. Thought it'd be good to post on here and maybe plan games so people don't drop out cause some games can take hours to finish (others real short like)

I have a bunch of fun competetive/co-op games like:

Pokemon RPG, Morrowind, Oblivion, Protect Kirby, Mario Party, Mini Game Party, Sniper Paintball, Cat n Mouse, Special Forces, Matrix Defense etc... 

My user is "lionhats" and I'm usually in Europe/US-East servers, always down for a game so hit me up. The soundtrack to this game is soooo good.

• Upvote 5

I remember playing this briefly back in the day but I thought it was very similar to Command and Conquer and Age of Empires, both of which I'd played to death, so I didn't spend much time on it. 
It does seem to be hugely loved though, so what is it about it that made it stand out above the millions of RTS games that were churned out back then? It's all about the PvP right? I know it's very popular with the tournament gaming crowd. 

It took off in the Korean pro-gaming scene because it's an RTS, but with such insane levels of micro-management that it's basically more like an action game with multiple player characters.

On 5/19/2017 at 21:09, Anne Summers said:

I remember playing this briefly back in the day but I thought it was very similar to Command and Conquer and Age of Empires, both of which I'd played to death, so I didn't spend much time on it. 
It does seem to be hugely loved though, so what is it about it that made it stand out above the millions of RTS games that were churned out back then? It's all about the PvP right? I know it's very popular with the tournament gaming crowd. 

Not completely, I probably played classic PvP in Starcraft the least! Outside of the great interconnected single player story (3 races, two lots of campaigns with each) with fun voice acting, theres custom maps built in the map editor to change the types of games. For example theres tonnes of competetive and co-operative online custom games such as Pokemon (catch and train etc), Mario Party (bunch of minigames) as well as hundreds of RPG's (levelling up, recruiting, towns, etc) based off of real RPG's. Starcraft 2 really expanded on this, custom maps can be totally modded to be anything like a Space Shooter, FPS, RPG, Platformer, Puzzle Game etc, because of how the new map editor is. There is also a map called Movie Maker, where you get special effects, cameras etc and have to make a story for the viewers and directors, who give you money to spend on actors etc... The Custom Map setting maps are bonkers, probably less popular since it's not exactly Ranked or w/e, but super fun

The music is the best I've heard in a RTS, especially Terran music. Of course the PvP is exciting, but I never excelled at it so much so I often get owned. Theres a bunch of comedic things in the story and also easter eggs.

Out of all the RTS's I used to play back in the day, this was definately the biggest and best and the most satisfying. My 2nd fave is Age of Empires.

Just a sample of the music you'll be RTS'ing  to:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, buizel said:

Not completely, I probably played classic PvP in Starcraft the least! Outside of the great interconnected single player story (3 races, two lots of campaigns with each) with fun voice acting, theres custom maps built in the map editor to change the types of games. For example theres tonnes of competetive and co-operative online custom games such as Pokemon (catch and train etc), Mario Party (bunch of minigames) as well as hundreds of RPG's (levelling up, recruiting, towns, etc) based off of real RPG's. Starcraft 2 really expanded on this, custom maps can be totally modded to be anything like a Space Shooter, FPS, RPG, Platformer, Puzzle Game etc, because of how the new map editor is. There is also a map called Movie Maker, where you get special effects, cameras etc and have to make a story for the viewers and directors, who give you money to spend on actors etc... The Custom Map setting maps are bonkers, probably less popular since it's not exactly Ranked or w/e, but super fun

The music is the best I've heard in a RTS, especially Terran music. Of course the PvP is exciting, but I never excelled at it so much so I often get owned. Theres a bunch of comedic things in the story and also easter eggs.

Out of all the RTS's I used to play back in the day, this was definately the biggest and best and the most satisfying. My 2nd fave is Age of Empires.

Just a sample of the music you'll be RTS'ing  to:

Music wouldn't be out of place in Firefly.  I'm sold.

4 hours ago, sprite said:

Music wouldn't be out of place in Firefly.  I'm sold.

And then you have this sick funk track for the alien race (its a hidden song, blew my mind when we first found it out in the game... years before videos on 'internet)