The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Netflix

The end of this series was fucking stupid. 

Spoiler

The gelfling and arathin had the skeksis surrounded (all six or seven of them, wow), and just let them go? 

That's colossally bad writing. I understand the remaining skeksis needing to survive to feature in the original film, but at least make their retreat believable. 

It's was utterly fucking laughable. 

Overall, it is an enjoyable show, and it has some nice moments. The musical score remained fantastic throughout, and visually it was lovely. But this treads very very old ground in its story of good vs evil.  

Edit: Just watched the movie ... thought it was rubbish. 

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Thor said:

You are guys are clearly riding on childhood nostalgia where the film is concerned. I had never seen it before. I was actually looking forward to it after the praise in here. 

Disappointed. 

I had not seen the film in maybe 30 years! So was like seeing it fresh and I loved it, and I watched it first before the series. I loved the whole thing and can’t (well maybe can) believe how unbelievably wrong you are and how bad a take this is, just superbly bad taste and misunderstanding... 

OR...

to be diplomatic and nice, you have a very different opinion on the matter and that’s all fiiiiine. 

• Upvote 1

My childhood nostalgia for the film extends to a hazy memory of a single scene. I can't even remember if I was watching the film or if I'd just wandered into the room when it was on.

So, my first real memory of the complete film was from this year, and I really liked it. It's not a patch on the series though, but it definitely enhanced the experience of the series.

Just finished this.  Absolutely loved it.  (Hup especially).  I really loved the original film, but it is a bit basic and lumbering at times, this is a different level compared to that in terms of story telling, yet quite impressive that they tie the two together so well.

I hope this sees success and we get more Henson-esque puppetry, more Dark Crystal and anything else.  A Fraggle Rock movie has been rumoured on and off for years and considering climate change could be even more relevant today as it always had some great concepts in that space even back in the 80's.

• Upvote 3

Finished it tonight, pure magic.

Regarding the final episode

Spoiler

The battle at Stonewood tested the limits of the medium and, while it had its moments, did come up short for me yet managed to actually feeling rather emotional. But on the other end of the spectrum was the frustrated Scientist, made to feel inadequate as a fighter he takes out his frustrations on his slaves in a truly brutal scene. That along with the gross spider dissection tipped the show more into the early works of Peter Jackson, which was of course awesome and bound to fuel plenty of kids nightmares.

As for how they left things, I'm of a mind that it was the best way to go out. You have lots of lovely lead ins to the original movie with the shard being discovered and the creation of the beetle army - but there is also unfinished business with Deeeeeeeet and who doesn't want to see Hup riding Lore into a new series?! Enough has been left to tempt future generations to revisit and most importantly play in this incredible world...I just hope we don't have to wait that long.

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

100% correct Mr Spag. The scientist and the Chamberlain. Incredible work. Although I thought they did a superb job with the Darkening this last episode too.

I feel privileged to have watched this. So much talent has been poured into it.

Just finished, what a ride. I am old enough to have seen the movie in the cinema when it was released, and I've always loved it even though I felt the gelfling were the most unconvincing characters by a long way back then. The fact that they have been fleshed out to drive the story so well in this series is a triumph. 

Also, how awesome was the 

Spoiler

Heretic's puppet show?

image.png.3e79e17de05a279502d7467dce25e5dc.png

• Upvote 3
  • 10 months later...

Well that's rubbish. :(

The quote suggests they're hoping to finish the story some other way, which I'm guessing probably means a comic or something, but I don't suppose there's any chance this could be picked up by another company?

• Upvote 1

I’m not at all surprised, unfortunately - I watched the making of documentary recently, and it looked to be a production on the scale of the LOTR movies, with everything being hand-crafted as it was. It must have been absurdly expensive.

Something struck me while watching it, about the sheer depth of talent involved on the puppetry side - what on earth do those people do when they don’t have this kind of work?

edit - there have been a few Dark Crystal comics recently, there was an excellent three-partner written by Si Spurrier unconnected to Age of Resistance (but using unused concepts from the original movie) which got a follow up that I abandoned after one issue (new creative team bollocksed up the characters so comprehensively I couldn’t bring myself to stick it out)

We’re also 11 out of 12 issues into an Age of Resistance spin-off, which has told three separate backstories (Maudra Farah, Hup, and the current one is about Brea’s mother when she was younger). It’s pretty good, but Age of Resistance deserves to be on the screen. Hell it deserves to be on the cinema screen.

Isn’t there some geeky billionaire out there willing to step in and save it?

• Upvote 1

That’s terrible news. This was a great show. I’d naively have thought that a significant amount of the cost of this would already have been accounted for by puppets, sets and learned experience, and therefore a second series would have been significantly cheaper to produce. But what do I know?

I was amazed it was commissioned given the expense, but the end product was better than anyone could of hoped for surely?

Clearly Netflix are more interested in the medium and short term, but this could of been the next game of thrones. Why not?

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Clearly Netflix are more interested in the medium and short term, but this could of been the next game of thrones. Why not?

Because no one wants to see Gelfling tits?

I'm not inviting anyone to search deviantart to prove me wrong.

• Upvote 3